The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Indoor event tips?

Posted By: rabhobbes

Indoor event tips? - 08/30/09 02:49 PM

Hi All,
I am shooting (for free, in trade for a booth at the event) an indoor dog event in a couple weeks...basically demos for the public of agility, obedience, "dance", etc.

It's indoors, don't know how dark it will be, or what lighting is going to be there yet.
I'm shooting w/ a D90, have 2 zooms and a 1.8 50mm lens, and an sb600. And tripod. I think I will be able to get quite close to the action. Other than hi ISO, fast lens, etc. any tips? I'm assuming flash is a no no even for just demonstration events.
Thanks!
Rebecca
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Indoor event tips? - 08/30/09 03:54 PM

Rebecca,
where is the event you're shooting? I know most of the indoor facilities in Florida.

Unless the zooms are F2.8, they probably aren't going to be much help. Most events do not allow flash but for demo purposes and publicity, they may make an exception. I'd ask the chairman.

As for the rest, you'll probably be at ISO 3200 (at least) and depending on how you shoot action -- whether you shoot bursts and follow it or try to capture it at a particular moment -- you'll either be shooting jpeg or RAW. The advantage to shooting RAW is that you can fix white balance in PP. If you're in jpeg, be sure to set custom white balance.

If I know the particular venue, I may be able to help with the white balance issue.

Jim
Posted By: rabhobbes

Re: Indoor event tips? - 08/30/09 04:39 PM

It's at the Harborview Center, in Clearwater.
I was going to make sure about the flash...I will go with my 50mm if flash not allowed, I guess.
Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Indoor event tips? - 08/30/09 05:57 PM

Rebecca,
I'm not familiar with that particular venue but from the photos on their site, it looks like they have a mix of daylight and flourescents. And not a whole lot of light from what I can see.

Are you shooting the Clearwater Kennel Club's Responsible Pet Ownership Day? All I can suggest is that you get there early and take a few exposures to see what you can get at various ISOs. You may be able to use your zooms wide open for static shots but I don't think you'll have enough light for action with them.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jim
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Indoor event tips? - 08/30/09 07:47 PM

The only thing I can add to what has been said already is shoot raw and OVER EXPOSE. This goes well beyond the common saying of "expose to the right."

When I shoot indoors at high ISO settings I over expose by half a stop for just about anything but pure white, smooth-coated dogs and really flat black dogs like Belgian shepherds. I go +1/3 and +1 or more for them respectively.

This really helps with digital noise since lightening in post brings out more noise whereas darkening does not. In many cases, one must simply decide what the subject is and blow the rest.

If you can get in close, renting / borrowing an 85 1.4 might be something to consider.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum