The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Updated Sundance Portraits

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/19/09 08:25 PM

As the last step in my testing of a new 200 F2.8L, I took Sundance out for a walk on Rowdy's Trail along Shingle Creek. Sundance has walked the Trail before but always on lead. Today, I let him walk it the way Rowdy did, off lead but always close enough to come to me on command. He was awesome. It seemed as if he knew this was his chance to prove he was trustworthy and he did so in spades.

At a clearing overlooking the wooded area, I asked Sundance to sit and stay. And, remarkably, he did. And he stayed while I took 10 frames while holding a Milk Bone in my left hand to get his eyes to follow. Just the way Rowdy used to do it . So, here are his updated portraits: one with his mouth closed and one with it open. But check out that bokeh. Is that not creamy?

Enjoy.

Jim
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/19/09 08:28 PM

Very nice indeed. Nice way to relive the memories too.

Were you at 2.8? I notice a difference between the nose and eyes so I figure you were working with a very thin DOF.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/20/09 12:04 AM

Very nice, Jim. Glad you are liking the 200mm...about how far away were you for that shot? Is it a crop?

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/20/09 12:15 AM

Jim,
yes, focus was the tip of the nose so the eyes are not completely in focus. That was my choice given the fact that I was hand-holding in one hand and using bait in the other. In a vertical orientation. Try it. No IS.

The fact that Sundance stayed in place while I shot was really nice. And he followed the bait even when I tossed it behind me. And only picked it up when I told him he could. It's like he somehow inherited Rowdy's posing skills by osmosis.

But the OOF bokeh wide open is really extraordinary. I'm sold. I could have tested at F4 and/or 5.6 which would have put more of the face in focus but I really wanted to see it at F2.8.

Looks like my new model is almost ready for prime time. Just a bit more training. Today was really fun.

Jim

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/20/09 12:23 AM

Preston,
about 20 feet away and I cropped it to 8X10 from 8X12. Just cropped vertically. There is a delicate balance between leaving a 135-lb. Rottie in a sit/stay at 20 feet and leaving the same dog at 30 feet. You have to be able to talk to the dog and make sure he's on the same page. And be able to grab his collar if he decides to visit a dog that has just wandered into range.

I never worried about Rowdy because I knew he was totally trustworthy. Sundance needs a bit more time before I give him that complete trust but I have no doubt I'll be able to. He's very sweet, pretty smart (despite his nickname of Butthead) and more than any Rottie I've ever known, he has a very high need to please. Most Rotties need to work. Sundance needs to make us happy. And he lights up when he gets praise. He's going to be a lot of fun.

And speaking of fun, that lens is also going to be a lot of fun. I really like it. Need to adjust to it not being a zoom but I use my 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 a lot so I know I can adjust.

Jim
Posted By: Bev Hollis

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/23/09 10:25 PM

The images are lovely. More touching is the remarkable way that this dog performed. They are amazing aren't they?

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/24/09 12:38 AM

Bev,
yes, they are. Sundance is a continuing saga of exceeding expectations -- just the way that Rowdy did as a kid. Sundance is so large and so physically intimidating that many people give him a wide berth. Today, we went to Lake Toho in Kissimmee for a walk and for me to grab some bird shots. I put Sundance into a down/stay while I shot a GBH and a little girl ran up to him and put her arms around his neck. Her mom was almost apoplectic but Sundance just stayed in his down and smiled. The little girl loved him; he loved her. Life is simple.

When mom finally got over the shock we both explained to the little girl that she should always ask for permission before she touches any dog. She listened intently and then said "but he wanted me to hug him". Sundance gave her a puppy kiss. I was so proud I thought my chest would explode.

We have a long way to go but Sundance could change a lot of opinions about Rottweilers. He's not a show dog. He's been neutered. But he's one of the most important dogs that has ever been in our lives. Thanks for liking our impromptu portraits.

Jim
Posted By: Julie

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/24/09 01:51 AM

Beautiful portraits and what a cool dog!
Posted By: Bev Hollis

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/25/09 10:57 AM

I love the story about Sundance and how he "spoke" to the little girl. I believe that to be true in many cases!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/25/09 05:59 PM

Jim, it is very heart warming to hear stories like this. You should be very proud and I am glad you are taking advantage of his wonderful personality. Great story.

Re: Updated Sundance Portraits - 10/26/09 01:10 AM

Linda and RoseAnn (Linda's sister) have picked out Sundance's 2009 Halloween costume. I'll have photos later this week.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum