The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

photos from first show

Posted By: StarrLight

photos from first show - 12/05/09 07:25 AM

I thought I'd share a few photos from my first cat show several weeks ago. I had some problems with the backdrop light not going off sometimes and the hair light was a bit brighter and lower than I wanted (I think it got bumped). But overall I was happy with how it went and got great feedback from the owners.

Diana

Shorthair Selkirk Rex (small brag, he is TICAs 10th best cat international at the moment, I co-own his Mom...)

Siberian

Somali

Ragdoll

Holiday Ragdoll (owner brought in the stocking)
http://starrlightphotography.com/pics/RockNRags_Img_3152_web_large.jpg

Savannah

Bengal (silver)

Ocicat

Bengal (very cool colored brown)

Maine Coon

Re: photos from first show - 12/05/09 07:29 AM

oops, I must have done the url rather than the image option for the holiday ragdoll, either that or its too big. Will try again...

Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: photos from first show - 12/05/09 01:48 PM

Congrats on your first show. Looks like you achieved a very nice result. Hope you have many more to come and continue your successes. My favorite is the second image. Lovely photo and cat. Although he does have a don't mess with me expression!

Re: photos from first show - 12/05/09 10:48 PM

Quote:

Congrats on your first show. Looks like you achieved a very nice result. Hope you have many more to come and continue your successes. My favorite is the second image. Lovely photo and cat. Although he does have a don't mess with me expression!

Thanks Peggy. I think that Siberian just has a real heavy brow. Honestly I'm not sure if they like that look on a Siberian or if they want the eyes to have a more open look. Some of them, like the PixieBobs, do like a heavy-brow look. I just think this guy looks so much like a lion with that big mane.

Diana
Posted By: psmith

Re: photos from first show - 12/05/09 11:11 PM

That is an awesome head shot of a beautiful Maine Coon Cat. Is that an LAPD?

It looks the Bengal got a light-beard....I hate it when that happens.

Congratulations on your first show. Tell us about the Savannah shoot that is also a wonderful shot.

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 01:23 AM

Thanks Preston, a good part of surviving my first show and having the confidence to get through it was from all the help you and Helmi have given.

LOL, I did not even notice that beard on the Bengal. I'll have to look at the high res image and see whats going on.
You've had that happen before?

Isn't that MC gorgeous? Unfortunately all I really got on her is two shots on the christmas setup, she was pretty wound up. I'm hoping I'll be able to shoot her again on regular background in January. Its unusual for a female to have such great tufts and big muzzle I think. She's from Windriver MCs,
http://www.windwalkermainecoons.com/WindwalkerKittens_2009.html

The Savannah is an F1, she was there on exhibition only. She was pretty easy to shoot actually, pretty toy-driven so easy to keep her attention. I like that background, I tried to find fabric like Helmi's dark gold but have not been able to find it.

thanks again! Diana

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 01:25 AM

here's another shot of the savannah

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 01:27 AM

Oh Preston, Tugger's Mom, that I co-own, is from Lynn Landers Dickinson. Tuggers sire is Lynn's silver boy Horatio, maybe you've shot him before?

Diana
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 02:59 PM

Diana,
I'm no expert on the cats themselves but your photography is excellent: good lighting, excellent backdrop selections, good expression on the cats. Love the Maine Coon! And the Savannah.

Great job. You should be proud -- and relieved .

Jim

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 05:06 PM

Thank you Jim, that's very kind of you. I was rather stressed before this first show and was relieved it went well. My son came along and that was a big help. It also helped that I know a lot of the people already since this is where I've shown on and off over the years. Since I'm brand new to the field and really need to build up my portfolio, I pushed the fact I was doing all sittings for free and there was no minimum purchase. If they only wanted to buy one pose they could, and they didn't have to decide at the show, they could decide later. I made it clear this was a true introductory deal so hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the end. But it sure helped me get more breeds shot. One thing about shooting cat shows, (most of) the cats are pretty well behaved and (nearly) always very well groomed.

Thanks again, Diana
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 05:15 PM

Similar to setting up for portraits at a dog show: the dogs themselves tend to be used to people, relatively well-trained and (generally) well-groomed. The effect of strobes on animals is always an issue and I would think it would be more difficult in general with cats.

As I said, first shoots are always a stressful situation. Glad you had a helper (really helps) and that you got such good images. As for getting bitten on the butt for giving away the sittings: I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The gamble you took is that you'd have good images to sell. From what we've seen, you certainly do. Plus, now you have some additional portfolio stuff. Nice job.

Jim

Re: photos from first show - 12/06/09 05:46 PM

Quote:

Similar to setting up for portraits at a dog show: the dogs themselves tend to be used to people, relatively well-trained and (generally) well-groomed. The effect of strobes on animals is always an issue and I would think it would be more difficult in general with cats.
Jim

You know, you'd think so, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've noticed that with dogs before, they can get freaked out and jump at strobes. I never thought of it! I can't remember the lights ever seeming to really make a cat jump but I've had a few start squinting or avoiding looking in the direction of the camera cause they know as soon as they do the bright lights go off. So smart!

Diana
Posted By: Julie

Re: photos from first show - 12/07/09 01:38 PM

I rarely have problems with dogs being afraid of the flash(never with showdogs) My biggest issue is pet cats. Most of them take off and hide in the studio. Its the rare cat that doesn't do so. Which, is one of the reasons I market mostly to dogs and kids. I get them mentally. The cats I just do not. I like cats, I just don't speak cat.
Posted By: psmith

Re: photos from first show - 12/07/09 01:51 PM

If they never get out of the house, it is tough. They are not really socialized to accept strangers.

And...To them, your studio probably smells like the last 20 dogs that you shot there. If they don't have dogs in the house that could freak them out. My cats at home are not happy with me after I've been on a dog shoot.
Posted By: Julie

Re: photos from first show - 12/07/09 02:12 PM

I am sure my studio smells like a million dogs to them(and to other dogs) There are a few cats that do well, but, it is the minority. I know what I do well, and I accept what is not my strong points.

I think its a lot about being able to get into your subject's head. No matter who/what they are. Kids/dogs, are my easiest subjects to do that with. Hence, why I market to them.

I have not had cats, so, I just cannot get into their heads and know how they think. I can read a dog's or kid's body language and tell you exactly how far we can push and how to get expression from them.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: photos from first show - 12/07/09 04:54 PM

We had one cat yesterday in the middle of 35 other sittings with 1-2 dogs each. Poor kitty wasn't very happy at all.

We're thinking of doing a "cat day" for the complex soon.
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: photos from first show - 12/07/09 05:42 PM

Outstanding images. I certainly enjoyed the shots here.

Re: photos from first show - 12/08/09 10:46 PM

Quote:

Outstanding images. I certainly enjoyed the shots here.

Thanks Marie!
Diana
Posted By: Bev Hollis

Re: photos from first show - 12/11/09 06:29 PM

Beautiful work.

Re: photos from first show - 12/12/09 05:38 AM

Thank you Bev!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum