The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

He jumps a bit high

Posted By: Jim Poor

He jumps a bit high - 01/21/10 07:47 PM

Posted By: MountainDog

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/21/10 09:15 PM

Nice timing and what a crisp capture! This looks like it was in a nice bright building. What were the light sources?

That dog is quite the over achiever

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/21/10 09:48 PM

Thanks. The building is basically a 15000 sq foot light box as long as the sun shines.

Here is a description of it:
Quote:

The centerpoint is a unique structure of galvanized triple coated "Gatorshield" steel trussed frame covered with Duraweave II coated fabric, white translucent roof membrane, outside dimension 107' wide x 150' long.

Posted By: MountainDog

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/22/10 03:19 AM

That's awesome! Here in VT "as long as the sun shines" would be a major caveat, haha.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/22/10 01:37 PM

Wow, that jump's a bit low for such a good jumper. Was this a Preferred run? That jump looks like it's about 20 inches and this dog could handle 24 with no problems.

Jim

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/22/10 01:51 PM

Even with a copy of the gate sheets, I have no way of knowing if it is preferred run unless I just happen to know the dog. There is nothing on the sheets indicating preferred or not. According to my file name, that was a 20-inch run. There were only a couple 24-inch jumpers there and they were really tall dogs, so I assume that this one was under the cut off.

There was a beagle there that could pretty easily jump at least 20 if not more. That's a crazy jumper!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/22/10 03:15 PM

The maximum jump height of Preferred is 20 inches regardless of the height of the dog which is why we "prefer" it for Rotties where they would have to jump 24 in Regular Classes. Less jarring of the joints. Working dogs are just too heavy to handle all that impact from the 24-inch jumps.

That Boxer can leap! Reminds me of our boy JAG who in his prime could clear the 20-inch jump by 6 inches or more . Now, that's fun!

Jim

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/22/10 03:20 PM

I think that max jump height thing might depend on the venue. This was a DOCNA trial (my first for them). The only 24-inch jumpers were a GDS and a GSP, but it was a small trial.

Those high, elegant jumpers make for great photos, but those leaps have a cost in terms of course time. They sure are pretty though.

On a related note, I can run my tri-pod Golden in DOCNA and NADAC with a few restrictions for safety. He's such a mellow boy though I'm not sure we'd ever finish under time.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/24/10 05:04 PM

Hey Jim,

May I ask you a technical question? Are you pre-focusing on these (the jump bar), AI Servo or something else? As always, excellent work.

James

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/25/10 01:24 AM

Thanks James,

My technique varies depending on the course design, lighting and speed of the dogs. In general:

I pick one obstacle and set the focus preset button for that obstacle. Occasionally, I'll have two obstacles at the same distance one left and one right, but that is rare.

I pick another / other obstacle(s) that I can have a bit of lead time on. For those, I focus on the obstacle and use the AF-L button to lock it down. Then I go back and pan with the dog on approach and through the obstacle.

For the rest of the course, I follow and track in Continuous Servo mode.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: He jumps a bit high - 01/25/10 01:26 PM

Thanks, Jim. I was curious about that. While looking at your stuff, I was trying to imagine how I would shoot it and the only way I felt that my camera's AF was up to snuff would be to pre-focus.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum