The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

My boxers and my intro

Posted By: Kerri

My boxers and my intro - 01/25/10 03:26 AM

Hello, I've been lurking for a while and decided I should introduce myself. I'm Kerri and these are my boxers, Jack Frost and Freya.

I am not a professional photographer but enjoy photographing animals/nature and to a lesser extent my four children as they are usually much less cooperative, ha ha.

I'll take any constructive criticism but there is little I can change about these photos because I do not have any photo-editing software...yet.

Jack

Freya

And a couple action shots.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: My boxers and my intro - 01/25/10 01:24 PM

Hi Jack,

Welcome aboard! You have some very nice stuff there and I look forward to seeing more.

Since you asked for a bit of criticism on your work, I will say that I think the portraits are just excellent. I also think the ones of the dogs playing are wonderful. The only area to be wary of is your backgrounds. Generally, I try to avoid backgrounds (as much as possible...obviously it does not always work) where you get distracted. The only image of the group that this happens for me is #4 (with the woods being very blurred out and the grass in front). I might also burning the stairwell in #3.

Having said this, this is me thinking incredibly small. Honestly, those are just quibbles. Your work that you shared is excellent over-all, and I really enjoyed it.

Welcome!
James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: My boxers and my intro - 01/25/10 02:00 PM

Welcome aboard! Nice images and I especially like the last two.

As far as editing software goes, GIMP is free and can do most things that PhotoShop can.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: My boxers and my intro - 01/25/10 03:52 PM

Hello Kerri,
these are very nice images of two very nice Boxers. Good job! For photo-editing I'd suggest Photoshop Elements, the leaned down version of Photoshop. It's available for around $80 and it will allow you to do everything that you can do in Photogshop but the most complicated layering and editing. Plus, it takes most of the third-party plug-ins that Photoshop and Lightroom take.

Look forward to seeing more of Jack and Freya.

Jim
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: My boxers and my intro - 01/26/10 06:05 AM

Really nice photos! Love the one of the white boxer mid-air.

Diana
Posted By: TeresaBerg

Re: My boxers and my intro - 02/06/10 02:38 PM

Beautiful!! And I love the blurry backgrounds - it really makes your subject stand out!
Posted By: Gianchetta

Re: My boxers and my intro - 02/06/10 03:30 PM

I love the 4th one! Very nicely side lit. Adds some nice dimension to it. Awesome stuff! You can see your love for your dogs in their photos. Take care, Scott
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum