The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Studio Lights, advice please

Posted By: Visceral Image

Studio Lights, advice please - 03/18/10 06:53 PM

I am planning another studio setup. In the past, I purchased lights from ebay, an old photogenic set. This time, I would like to get a more convenient setup (not a central powerpack with all the cords).

I know many of us on NWP use Alien Bees. I will be using an average to small studio, approx. 12 ft wide by up to 20 ft long. I will photographing pets. On some occasions, I do on-location pet photography.

I am thinking two B800 Alien Bees for main and fill or two front lights at 45 degrees each, one B400 for background and my Nikon SB600 for hair light, when needed. In the past, I used 45-60 inch umbrellas, either white or silver.

Do you agree two B800's are good for the front lights and the B400 is good for background? Would you do umbrellas or giant softbox for the studio?

Background will range from all white to all black to dark tones (browns, dark reds, blues). No background light for black (hair light will provide separation between dog and background), maybe do not have enough light with the B400 for a white background.

I appreciate all thoughts.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/18/10 08:13 PM

For the difference in price between ab800 and ab400, I would opt for all ab800's just so that all lights could be interchanged in the case of one failure. I also trust the color temperature of one model light better than a mix of the two.

Note, you should soon see the company selling refurbished (cheaper) AB800s and AB1600s due to their Einstein trade ins.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/18/10 09:21 PM

Are they going to change their policy on selling re-furbs? They have stated in the past that they won't do that.

I may go to the Einsteins myself for a little more flexibility.
Posted By: MountainDog

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/18/10 11:54 PM

I use 3 AB400's and 3 SB-900's and I love them all. I find that the 400's kick out plenty of power for a small setup (and so do the SB's for that matter!). I went with the 400's because they are a little cheaper and the recycle time is a little quicker. I've had the AB's for over 2 years now and they've been solid, dependable workhorses.

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/19/10 01:38 AM

Jim, if you ordered Bees and preordered Einstein Paul has always said he would make you 'whole'. The delay in Einsteins has forced their hand to sell refurbished ABs due to the delay of the promised product.

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/19/10 01:49 AM

Thanks Preston, I wasn't aware of those details.

I didn't pre-order though, so the point is probably moot.

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/19/10 08:13 AM

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/876748/1#8246535

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/19/10 08:17 AM

Quote:

Would you do umbrellas or giant softbox for the studio?

I prefer the light from softboxes and strips, and I don't care for umbrella catchlights. That said, umbrellas are quick to set up and easy to transport.

For the price, a giant Paul Buff PLM with a front diffuser looks like a lot of bang for the buck.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/19/10 06:16 PM

I've had the AB400s since 2000 and I've never missed a shot with them. They work great in my fairly small studio and they work great on location at shows. They also recycle in approximately 1 second which really helps catch those ooops/got it moments with dogs and tongues. With my 400s, I'm at F8 and 1/250 at ISO 200 so I really don't need more power. I suppose if I were using them a lot outdoors, I'd want more juice but I don't. Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/20/10 01:32 AM

Thanks Jim, I remember using your lights the day I visited; they worked great. Thanks again.

Re: Studio Lights, advice please - 03/20/10 01:41 AM

Thanks Preston. I have a real hard time reading that forum for some reason.

Quote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/876748/1#8246535

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum