The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Catios

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Catios - 06/19/10 02:17 PM

Thought the cat people on the forum might enjoy this -- especially you, James. Here's a New York Times article on the newest rage in NYC: catios.

Times Article

Enjoy,

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Catios - 06/19/10 04:30 PM

Hey Jim,

That's AWESOME. LOL, I know it sounds crazy, but this article is 100% on the money. My wife and I, unfortunately, do not have a terrace...but we would really like one. One of the major items of concern would be 'kittycide.' Personally, I am not a fan of cats being outdoors in the suburbs either (they wipe out a lot of the birds, etc) without some sort of limit.

James
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Catios - 06/20/10 03:35 AM

You know, I find the ones in the burbs look a bit like mini-prisons. While I think they make a ton of sense here in the City, I don't think you could convince me to get one if I had a back yard (or even a front yard).

James

Re: Catios - 06/20/10 02:46 PM

James,
I've had a lot of cats over the years and we've never had a need to let them outside except for leash walks. For a long time, we had 3 cats along with 7 dogs and they all lived peacefully in the house. The cats had their own places to be and windows to look out of and occasionally had the pool deck with a screened enclosure to roam and "hunt" squirrels.

Here in Florida, there are just too many reasons NOT to let cats roam. The feral cat population is huge and there's a lot of disease. Plus, if you saw the size of some of the hawks that fly over our house, you would not let your cat outside without a leash/harness. Plus, there are Eagles, Gators, and lots of other very accomplished hunters. Nope, our cats stayed inside and were very happy to do so.

Jim
Posted By: Julie

Re: Catios - 06/20/10 05:08 PM

Not smart to let your cats roam in the burbs. Dogs eat them around here. Unfortunately my dogs have gotten two cats that came in our yard(6ft privacy fence) I see them hit on the roads all the time too.

Lots of dangers for loose cats. Thankfully, there aren't too many around here and people do not let their dogs run loose. Nothing you can do if the cats in in your yard though..
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Catios - 06/21/10 02:01 PM

We rescued and raised a brain-damaged kitten back in the mid 1990's.

We saw her mom carrying what we thought were mice across the back yard two days in a row and the third day we found two tiny kittens in the front yard. Eyes not even open.

Long story short, the cat had poor motor control and could never be an outdoor cat anyway. We eventually found her a home in Canada with a 360 degree screened in porch, so she had the best of both worlds.

We named her Kitty Mouse.
Posted By: Robyn Shortt

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 01:37 PM

These Maine Coon cats had a lovely catio they shared with their people... it had people furniture and lots of perches and hidey-holes for the cats, and the wire enclosure doesn't look too bad.
[image]http://CandidCritters.zenfolio.com/p292510214/h2615545#h2615545[/image]
Posted By: Robyn Shortt

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 01:39 PM

hmm... don't post often enough I guess... try this image

Attached picture 30244-MaineCoonCats.jpg
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 08:50 PM

Quote:

You know, I find the ones in the burbs look a bit like mini-prisons. While I think they make a ton of sense here in the City, I don't think you could convince me to get one if I had a back yard (or even a front yard).

James

Barred walls may look like a prison to us but for indoor cats its safe freedom. I do know some folks that are able to let their cats outside in a backyard safely but closely supervised. Too many feral cats with disease, dogs that will kill cats, psychopathic humans that ... well we won't go there.

Diana

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 08:53 PM

Quote:

hmm... don't post often enough I guess... try this image

Very nice. I have a covered 6x6 dog kennel on our back patio for the cats to have outside time in. If it were my own house I would definitely enclose it.

Diana
Posted By: psmith

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 09:51 PM

Why stop at the patio?

http://www.thecatshouse.com/catshouse/tour.htm

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 10:42 PM

A cat-free zone! What the heck is that? When we had the cats, they could go anywhere they wanted. But there were dog-free zones and still are!

Jim

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 11:07 PM

LOL - I saw that and thought the same thing. I imagine the cats have never read the plans.

If you didn't click on the numbers you missed some really cool cat architecture photos.

Re: Catios - 06/24/10 11:11 PM

Actually, once you click on a number then you have to click on the cat logo on the right bottom to see all the photos. Here is their TV room:

http://www.thecatshouse.com/catshouse/blueprint/tv_01.htm
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Catios - 06/25/10 12:34 AM

Cherrybook has what I would call a "Habit trail" for cats.
http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/428987/catid/172/vname/Kittywalk_Gazebo

I want to get one for our Ragdolls. I would never let them outside on their own, even in the daylight. We have too many coyotes to take a chance. We lost one of our cats to a coyote off our FRONT stairs at 9:30 am one summer morning. The thing came out of the woods, crossed the road, up our front lawn ( we do not have any trees, so it is a good 300' run to the woods) and grabbed 'Mantha off the stairs. Since that day, all cats are inside, and all dogs are outside with supervision only.

I love that link Preston! I want to do that to our house. We have kitty towers everywhere for them to climb on, but I think it would be cool to have the walkways.

Re: Catios - 06/25/10 08:14 PM

Preston,
I saw that on TV and it's very cool. The cats get an adventure in "their" rooms and it helps stimulate them both physically and intellectually. Now, if we can just do the same for Linda and me .

Jim

Re: Catios - 06/25/10 08:37 PM

Quote:

Why stop at the patio?

http://www.thecatshouse.com/catshouse/tour.htm

LOL, you know this house is in San Diego. I didn't know about the open house in mid April or I'd have tried to go. I love it, I know they've featured it on Animal Planet too.

Diana
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum