The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Saying Hi

Posted By: StephanieMillner

Saying Hi - 07/09/10 09:22 AM

I post every so often, and then forget to bookmark the site, and find it months and months later. So... just introducing myself (possibly, again.)

I'm a pet photographer in Rome, Italy - formerly working in Alexandria VA. I do fine-art pet photography, 100% in-studio (no outdoor pet work - although being in Rome that might change... better scenery than Virginia!) Hmm, what else... I teach a Prof.Photographers of America class called Furballs! and recently won the PPA Diamond Photography of the Year Award for this year's print competition, entering all pets (woo hoo! still very excited). But I guess I just really like animals and there was a certain amount of luck - or perhaps karma? - in that anyway...

Oh and I have a sheltie - she's amazingly loud but SUPER cute.

Here's some work:

Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 09:44 AM

Nice work! Welcome (back) aboard!
Posted By: psmith

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 10:54 AM

Love your work, Stephanie. Hope you come back often. Welcome.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 12:08 PM

Great images, Stephanie. Thanks for sharing. The mice are really nice! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jim
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 06:18 PM

Howdy Stephanie! I love the mouse/rat in the glass. Adorable!

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 08:31 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Both are rats. One's a hairless, the other is a (very pregnant) hooded rat. She gave birth in my studio!
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Saying Hi - 07/09/10 09:35 PM

Welcome! Love the photos. I'm especially fond of the neutral colors. Is that a chocolate Sphynx or is that post processing on the color?

Diana
Posted By: psmith

Re: Saying Hi - 07/10/10 02:10 AM

Would love to see more of the hairless rat...with a Sphynx

Re: Saying Hi - 07/10/10 08:49 AM

It's an all-gray sphinx - all gray because he sadly has cataracts in both eyes. It comes out a little brown here, but the print is a deep gray color.

Sorry, have none of the rat and the sphinx together, but i have another hairless rat in a martini glass. And some of the rat babies - which are kind of gross. (18 of em!)

Posted By: Julie

Re: Saying Hi - 07/10/10 01:05 PM

I've loved these since I saw them on the PPA forums. Do you breed rats?? Those are some tiny new babies!
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Saying Hi - 07/11/10 03:35 AM

Hey Stephanie,

These are great!! Thanks for sharing, and welcome back?

James

Re: Saying Hi - 07/11/10 07:41 AM

Hey Julie! Good to see you over here too!

The only thing I breed is dust-bunnies.

My client had 12 rats, but she put an un-neutered male in with the females on a trip to the vet... and about 2 months later she had about 80 rats. Fortunately she found all non-snake homes for all the babies.

Re: Saying Hi - 07/11/10 12:10 PM

Rats breed insanely. We have two pet male rats(well, my daughter does) and though they are super sweet pets, had I known they were stinky, I would not have allowed rats. The whole family really enjoys them though. Kinda like mini dogs.

I looked into neutering them,but, do to their age and size, the risk of them dying was very high. They say that helps with the stink.

I took photos of baby rats, they were brown rats, so, not as cute as the hairless ones, at least not photographically. the mom actually let the child borrow a male rat to breed with her female. Why, I don't know. Made neat pictures!

I need to take our rats to the studio and get photos of them.

Re: Saying Hi - 07/14/10 08:49 AM

Oh those babies aren't actually hairless. They're white and black hooded rats, but this was in the first minutes of life!

We want to see rat pics Julie!

Re: Saying Hi - 07/14/10 12:20 PM

I need to take my daughter's rats to the studio. I might do that today just because

Here are some I took of baby rats at about 3 weeks old. Good thing I had two kids doing the rat wrangling!! Those suckers are fast!

Re: Saying Hi - 08/13/10 05:00 PM

Too cute Julie! Love the little guy in the red box!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum