The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Why we do what we do

Posted By: Jim Poor

Why we do what we do - 08/11/10 06:43 PM

Not much at first glance, then a second might cause one to think why this dog is jumping 8 inches."

Before the trial, a handler approached me and said "pay special attention to the GSD jumping 8-inches." "OK" I thought. If figured it was a veteran about to retire or something.

So I covered the run pretty heavily and the whole place erupted at the end and the handler was completely in tears at the end as were many others. Not knowing exactly why yet, but feeling the emotion of the crowd, I was soon joining them. Turns out, this is a bloat survivor's first run back in the ring.

The dog get's to be the gallery preview image instead of the title photo I like to put in that spot.
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Why we do what we do - 08/11/10 11:32 PM

aaww, what a great photo, and great tribute to the dog. The handler must have been jumping for joy.
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Why we do what we do - 08/12/10 04:09 AM

yep, I get that one every so often ... or, from a MACH20 dog owner ... thanking me for capturing their dog's last few months before he passed

my trainer just told me about a clients GSD that was diagnosed with terminal cancer at 8yrs, she is paying $800 per chemo treatment to prolong life up to a year
I did shoot her last trial, and she may jump in another one or two ... and I'll be there!!!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Why we do what we do - 08/12/10 12:32 PM

Jim,
yup, that's what it's all about. And that dog hasn't just survived bloat; he's still living his life. Our Harvey Garvie, the Golden, bloated when he was 9 years old. Afterwards, every organ in his body failed and our vet told us not to expect him to live much longer. But after hand-feeding him for 6 weeks -- and getting him a rescue kitten named OJ -- Harvey was ready to start living his life again. He lived to be 15 years old and his last 6 years were the best of his life.

May this GSD enjoy at least another 6 years the way Harvey did. He will bring joy wherever he goes.

Jim
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Why we do what we do - 08/12/10 01:22 PM

Awesome story Jim.

My understanding is that the bloat was caught early enough that no organs were damaged.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Why we do what we do - 08/20/10 06:16 AM

These really are the best photos, with a story, aren't they?
Diana
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum