The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother!

Posted By: StephanieMillner

Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/11/10 07:19 PM

Just thought I'd share a few from a pet/maternity session I did the other night. The owners felt like Nelson should get shown a lil' love since he'll no longer be an only "child" once his new (2-legged) brother arrives.

To quote his dad (and I apologize for the "language" but I thought it was hilarious), Nelson is "part beagle, part my-mothers-a-whore"... Yes, dad had me in stitches the whole time. Anyway, every pup from his litter looks completely different. He's a 5 yr. old rescue dog from Italy. The best breed there is! (...ok, second to shelties of course!:) )

These are just a few I liked.

Posted By: Julie

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/11/10 08:36 PM

Love them all. The second is my favorite.
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 01:25 AM

These are wonderful! I like the last 2. It looks like Nelson has a great personality and a great sense of humor.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 01:05 PM

Nice and clean and fresh. Very nice images. If you hadn't told me I might have thought #1 was bare tush instead of a baby bump. Pretty dog.

Are these done with just one light / large softbox?

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 03:52 PM

Thanks guys. He's such a good doggie. He didn't even kill my Hailey when she pulled hotdogs out of his mouth (because she has no concept of self-preservation, apparently.)

There's a 30x60 Softbox on camera left, and a striplight kicker camera right. I usually use a 3rd light for a hairlight bouncing off the ceiling, but I uh... dropped it and now it's out for repair.

It's essentially this, but reverse. (And minus that aforementioned hairlight)

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 05:51 PM

Hi Stephanie,

LOL, I am jealous!!! I have never been asked to do a set like this. I think that the fourth is my favorite of the series...having said that, they are all great.

James

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 10:47 PM

Thank you. The mixed-key bear in there just drives me crazy, but he went through a 20 minute period of stealing every dog toy and bringing them onto the seamless grey! Oh well, I'm sure the owners won't mind all that much.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 10:59 PM

Thank you for the diagram, Stephanie.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/12/10 11:15 PM

The words that came to mind were exactly what Preston said. I love the look and I agree about the body part I thought of at first too! LOL
Thanks for the diagram. An extremely charming dog and you captured some great images - Kudos
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/13/10 11:24 AM

Beautiful work.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/13/10 05:19 PM

I would not have noticed it had you not pointed it out(the mixed key bear)

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/17/10 08:51 AM

Thank you all for the lovely comments! Mom and Dad came in yesterday and were thrilled (quite a nice order, too... 3.5x their "absolutely maximum budget"). Next week... Newborn + Nelson! Yay! Of course, the only newborns I've ever photographed before were 18 baby rats... so we'll see how this goes.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/18/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

If you hadn't told me I might have thought #1 was bare tush instead of a baby bump.

I thought the same thing.
Diana
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/18/10 04:17 PM

BTW, beautiful shots. I really like your use of the neutral backgrounds.

Diana
Posted By: Kelley216

Re: Nelson's Gonna Be a Big Brother! - 09/21/10 12:10 AM

#1 is priceless!! Great work as usual Stephanie!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum