The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,,

Posted By: NinaS

What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 05:48 AM

... from a show?

I shot a national specialty last weekend (Fri-Sun), Sun am many of the exhibitors were sick, food poisoning was the suspect as they all stayed/ate at the same hotel

well ... I went home at night, & only had the box lunch ... but hey, the lettuce could be bad

well, exhibitors flew home (across the country and to Europe) and within a couple of days their family members (who didn't fly here), were sick ... that ruled out food poisoning

Mon night I was sitting on the toilet (because I had to) puking into a bucket ... this lasted a good 36hours!!!

today, I can sit up, can't cough, sneeze or laugh, my ribs feel broken from constant throwing up (and the other stuff)

now many are thinking NoroVirus ... this is fast catching, with almost no incubation period, but goes away just as fast ... not sure how to avoid this one LOL but it got me thinking about my subject line

best thing is, it hit after I had the show proofs uploaded, and I have enough time before I leave Fri afternoon, to recoup enough to lift my camera for the next trial
worst part is, I'm now an extra week behind on editing
Posted By: Julie

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 11:46 AM

Oh ugh! That is horrible
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 12:32 PM

We've been fortunate that over the past 18 years showing dogs, going to dog shows and shooting dog shows, we've *only* come home with sick dogs. But every time we go, I expect some type of crud. That's the way it is at show venues -- especially venues that pack them in one after another.

What you have sounds much more dangerous, fast-acting and inter-species -- did it affect dogs too? Welcome to the Show Photographer's Quick but Painful Weight-loss Program . Hope you feel better but, more importantly, hope someone figures out what everyone caught and figures out how to prevent it in the future.

Jim
Posted By: psmith

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 12:40 PM

Nina,

I hope you feel better soon. There is nothing worse than working sick, other than working on location sick.

My worst was just a bad case of the flu. I've gotten flu shots every year since. I had one case of food poisoning, but it hit hard and fast and was over within 24 hours. I must say I'm more likely to get sick from a family gathering of 20-30 youngsters than I am in a showhall with 100-200 adults.
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 01:32 PM

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon!
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 01:42 PM

Oh that is horrible Nina! I hope you feel better soon. I think I will skip the "Show Photographer's Quick but Painful Weight-loss Program" if you don't mind Jim! That is funny.

I hope it passes soon. ( that did not come out like I was intending, sorry for the bad pun)
Posted By: NinaS

Re: What's the worst thing you've brought home ,,, - 10/21/10 03:59 PM

lol, I'm on the mend, actually going to head out to the PO, Bank & store this morning (at least that's my plan)

if this had hit during the show, I would not have been able to perform ... so am very lucky of the timing ...

the consensus is norovirus or something similar, a few went to the docs, but most of us just endured

word of warning, especially if you live alone ... have the basics, tylenol, pepto, immodium, 7-up, apple juice, peppermit tea etc always on hand, because when you are down, you are down

luckily I have great neighbours, a couple of texts & help was on it's way
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum