The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Catch Lights

Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Catch Lights - 10/21/10 02:46 PM

Hello everyone,
Have a question about catchlights in the eyes.
For the cat show Photographers-is there a preferred shape to that light or is it the photographers preference? I've seen different shapes: round, squre, octogon, and even rectangle. Thinking I'm more partial to the square light. I know that the modifier shape is what we are actually seeing, thus the shape question.

Thanks!
Marie
Posted By: psmith

Re: Catch Lights - 10/21/10 04:49 PM

I prefer what I like. And I really don't like what I don't like. It is very subjective.

I've never liked umbrella catchlights (although I may be in the minority), and I've moved between octobox and softbox lights.

Sun = round. Windows = rectangular.

Re: Catch Lights - 10/21/10 05:34 PM

Thanks! I'm glad I asked, I love the square catchlight. Since I have those, I won't need to purchase a thing!
Posted By: Ty H

Re: Catch Lights - 10/21/10 05:54 PM

With cats we try really hard to minimize any catchlight in the eyes since it's so easy to get eyeshine . This usually means keeping our key light at least 45 degrees off the axis of the eyes. Same thing with blue eyed dogs.

By the way, my new album 'Axis of the Eyes' drops next Tuesday.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Catch Lights - 10/21/10 11:40 PM

Hey Marie,

LOL, I am one of the folks who does not mind umbrellas at all. I think what counts is that you need the proper angle of lighting, as Ty was just mentioning.

Cheers
James
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Catch Lights - 10/23/10 06:19 PM

Back to Marie's question, and to expand it a little. Is there an advantage to using any specific of the PLM's? I use a 24x36" Softbox now. Would there be a huge difference to switch to say a 48" Octobox?
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 01:38 AM

Since Marie is asking specifically the Cat Show Photogs, I am going to defer on this one to people with greater experience than I. Outside of the obvious advantage of the greater light spread of the larger octobox, I am honestly not sure of any other specific advantages.

Cheers
James
Posted By: Julie

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 01:41 AM

The larger the softbox, the softer the light

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 03:18 AM

All depends on distance of light source to subject.

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 10:18 AM

Thanks, very interesting reading. I'll be armed with more info as my lighting class will be coming up soon. Its a part of the NYIP course. Looking forward to it.

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 11:57 AM

Marie, you mentioned PLM's. The problem with the large ones is the eyeshine that Ty mentioned. The light source is so large that it is hard to pose the head of the cat at an angle that eliminates the discoloration. Unless you have placed them 20 or 30 feet from the subject. Then you don't really get the wrapping of the light from a large source.

With cats, the size of the light source, the distance from the subject, and the position of the light relative to the lens axis all figures into the result. Bigger is not necessarily better, closer is not necessarily better or worse, its a combination of it all.

Regarding umbrellas, my nit with them is seeing the spines of the umbrella in the catchlight. To me round or square looks natural, but 'flying saucers' do not.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Catch Lights - 10/24/10 12:10 PM

Very true Preston, my brain works too slowly to give good answers
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Catch Lights - 10/25/10 04:55 PM

On the shape of catchlights themselves, I've read of other photographers using gaffers tape to "recreate" the panes of a window on square or rectangular soft-boxes. I've been tempted to try it myself
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Catch Lights - 10/26/10 01:03 AM

Thanks for your replies Jim, Julie, and Preston. You have given me a lot to chew on.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum