The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

why you don't do portraits at a dog park

Posted By: NinaS

why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/26/10 11:29 PM

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 11:31 AM

LOL, Nina, that's awesome!!! Curiously, when you do your in the park portraits, are you dragging all of your lighting gear? Or is it strictly on-board flash (assuming you may be working in non-ideal lighting)?

James
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 01:04 PM

Nina your shot is an absolute gem. Perfect expressions. Next month I'm doing a fund-raiser shoot with a Christmas theme and yes it is at a dog park. It will be early summer here so their aim is all outdoors. (And mine is to stay calm).
Posted By: NinaS

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 01:35 PM

James,
I lug all my portrait booth stuff, without the actual booth
lights, props, camera etc
this is a large indoor dog park & this time I set up inside the park area, last time was in the lobby.

thanks
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 03:43 PM

Love it! I've got an outtake or two from my own dogs' sessions last night.
Posted By: Julie

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 04:12 PM

That's hilarious
Posted By: Ty H

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 05:13 PM

Ha! That's awesome.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: why you don't do portraits at a dog park - 10/27/10 10:16 PM

Nina,
we have two dog parks here in Hunters Creek in Orlando and both are outdoors. I've had several portrait sessions there over the years but the environment is anything but conducive to good portraiture. There are dogs running around everywhere and even with my lighting and lots of props, it's hard to get the dogs to focus on the photographer.

I love your shot but I'm betting it's one of a lot of less usable and sellable images. Regardless, outdoors means you really can't use a backdrop and the existing backgrounds at both parks are less than photogenic.

On the other hand, I do go and take candids of the dogs in the parks and those sell pretty well. As do the shots of the kids on the soccer fields right next door to the dog parks. But when it comes to portraiture, I'm a bit of a control freak and dog parks are not an environment where you have much control.

Jim
Posted By: Marski

Jim; Could you expound on these skills? - 10/28/10 02:11 AM

Quote:

Nina,

On the other hand, I do go and take candids of the dogs in the parks and those sell pretty well. As do the shots of the kids on the soccer fields right next door to the dog parks.

Jim

How do you show the photos to create a sale, with such fleeting subjects?

Thanks for any info you have time for,
Lamar
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Jim; Could you expound on these skills? - 10/28/10 12:59 PM

Lamar,
I post the images on my website and give the owners a card with the website address and tell them to check it out. I know most of the people -- and all of the dogs -- so I can always remind them the next time I see them and ask if there's something special they'd like to see.

I don't go from dog park to dog park in Orlando doing the candids. I stay in my own "home" parks where I bring my own dogs and so nobody is pressured into buying but if they see something they like, they do. Also, it's a good way to get formal portraits once the dogs demonstrate their love for "Uncle Jim". Having Dr. Doolittle hands doesn't hurt.

Jim
Posted By: Dee Dee

Re: Jim; Could you expound on these skills? - 10/30/10 07:59 PM

That is one of the funniest shots I've ever seen. LOL!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum