The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

pet props

Posted By: StarrLight

pet props - 11/13/10 04:17 AM

Like Preston, I'm not a big fan of using props with cats, but I saw this collar on one of Julie P's puppies and figured cats might (?) tolerate it. Am planning to offer some holiday-themed shots at some upcoming shows I'm doing and tried this out on one of my cats. This is chocolate and white shorthair Selkirk Rex named Momo as my model.

Posted By: Lesley

Re: pet props - 11/13/10 12:06 PM

I use alot of costume stuff mainly my Rottweiler even though I am not a real fan of it either... I feel because of all the bad press Rottweilers get... anything to get the general public to realize that they are not child eating monsters can hopefully be a good thing. I do have to on occassion attempt to include my Airedale...

I find alot of my props at Michael's Craft Stores and iParty. They are usually cheaper than buying "pet specific" props. Michael's actually has really cute elf hats made in felt with chin straps that are really small for babies or little children, they may be great for small dogs and cats as well.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: pet props - 11/13/10 01:11 PM

Hey Lesley,

That is am interesting point. Jim, you are also not afraid to. Use props with your rotties. Do you use the same guiding concept (ie almost as a p public service for rotties), or do you do it because it is just cute?

James
Posted By: Julie

Re: pet props - 11/13/10 01:44 PM

I do very few props. Though it can be cute, it is not something people want a large wall portrait of.

Re: pet props - 11/13/10 05:54 PM

Lesley, I have definite plans to hit Michaels in the next few days.

Re: pet props - 11/13/10 05:59 PM

I'm also planning to do more person & pet photos at shows over the next few weeks, and thought I'd bring both human and cat-sized santa hats, a few ornaments, maybe some of that white batting that would give a surface that looked like snow, and the jingle bell collar. Will see what else I might find at michaels but won't go overboard with it.

Oh, on a other note, I got to photography the new "World's longest domestic cat" (according to Guinness) at a show in Reno, NV a few weeks ago.

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: pet props - 11/14/10 03:30 PM

Lesley & James,
We use props for much the same reason -- to make them more accessible to people. Sundance in particular is a very intimidating guy. So, when we did his calendar, we used lots of props & costumes to make him look sweet instead of tough. Here are a couple of samples:

When we do puppies, we love to give them stuff with which to interact.

Having said that, sometimes the best portraits are the simplicity of the subjects against a low-key background which we prefer.

Jim
Posted By: Lesley

Re: pet props - 11/16/10 12:11 AM

The last one is perfect, Jim... beautiful lighting and gorgeous models!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: pet props - 11/16/10 01:12 AM

Thanks Lesley. My wife Linda, Jasper on top and Sundance on the bottom at 7 months of age. Jasper is currently 140 lbs. and Sundance a svelte and sinewy 125.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum