The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Pet Photography: Portable Studio

Posted By: Wayne_B

Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/18/10 09:52 PM

I'm a volunteer photographer at the local Humane Society and I'm currently assigned to work with the cats.

I'd like to put together a portable studio so that I can get quality photos to best represent the cats to potential adpoters.

My focus is on the best materials to be used for a backdrop and the material to be placed on the table where the cats will be displayed.

I'd prefer something that doesn't require a lot of work in regards to hair removal. Also the Humane Society requires that we spray the area where the cats walk to prevent the potential spread of disease.

At this point my idea is to use a white background. A portable white table could be used for displaying the cats and could easily wiped off after each cat is photographed.

All ideas are welcome...Thanks - Wayne.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/19/10 01:26 AM

For most cats, you could get away with a piece of white vinyl.

With the size of most cats, you don't need a full size backdrop, so something from an upholstery or fabric shop would work.

Vinyl can sanitized easily between shoots too.

White vinyl table cloths from a party store might work well too.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/20/10 12:31 AM

I have seen Helmi and Ken Flick's set-up (not sure if Preston's is the same). Helmi's backdrops are about 4 or 4 1/2 feet wide. However, please note that these are show cats and they are used to being handled. I have photographed only a few cats professionally, and I have found that I often need a bit wider of a birth in order to make it happen.

James
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/20/10 03:31 AM

I used to see, on eBay, colored vinyl backdrops about 4' wide or so ... but a quick search produced nothing tonight ... they came in many bold colors

good luck with kitties ... my only luck with pet kitties is tons of catnip all over the place LOL

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/20/10 03:41 PM

B&H has Vinyl in various widths. Shipping on them is a bear though, unless you catch them with free shipping.

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/21/10 03:23 AM

found the one I was thinking of, haven't purchased this, but sounds pretty dirt proof and wrinkle free
plus about $20ea w/free shipping and in a variety of colors

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...6.c0.m270.l1313
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/21/10 08:54 AM

I'd be very curious about the poly canvas sheets. Whether the creases from being shipped folded really will come out. The price is certainly good, there's no doubt you'd use it enough to pay for itself at $20 with free shipping.

Wayne, either something like this or a vinyl that you can spray and clean would be best I would think. Something heavier might be good since it seems like it would get a lot of claw action.

Diana

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/21/10 10:58 AM

Those are from http://www.dmkfoto.com

That's the place PJ and I got some backgrounds from. The ones I have are poly-canvass backed and the shipping wrinkles did eventually come out of them even though that was one of my main gripes.

That said, I don't think they are very spray & clean. They are more cloth-like than vinyl like.

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/21/10 10:59 AM

I'd recommend this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/679301-REG/Savage_V01_0507_5_x_7_Infinity.html
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/21/10 01:52 PM

Quote:

I'd be very curious about the poly canvas sheets. Whether the creases from being shipped folded really will come out. The price is certainly good, there's no doubt you'd use it enough to pay for itself at $20 with free shipping.

Diana

I can answer in one word Diana! NO! The wrinkles do not come out of the Poly Canvas that Jim and I use. It's fine for a set up studio, where you can leave it for a while. To roll up and bring with you, which is what I bought it for, it is impossible to get the wrinkles out and it is hard to work with. It is not flexible, but too flexible at the same time. It does wipe sort of clean with a sponge, on the Poly side, but then you have the problem of reflections and shiny spots.

I have gone back to muslin backdrops.

Good luck Wayne, sorry I could not help you with what to buy, but at least I can steer you away from something that is just not portable enough.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/23/10 10:08 PM

Thanks PJ, that's what I thought about the poly canvas. Not a good idea for Wayne's purposes but might be for some others.

Diana

Re: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 12/24/10 02:06 PM

guess itz a good thing I never bought any

I use fabrics ... have a tote full, plus the tote contains a sticky roller

just wash & fold after the session
if they're too hairy
Posted By: Wayne_B

Latest Update: Pet Photography: Portable Studio - 01/23/11 06:57 PM

I spoke with several of the volunteers in the cat department and we tossed around some ideas on how best to photograph the cats.

The number one issue is the spread of disease between the cats. I'd suggested using one of the empty cages and placing the cat to be photographed in there...and cleaning that cage afterwards...problem there is you need to wait 10 minutes for the cleaner to work.

Since we have so many cats that need to be photographed I think the fastest way to get the job done is have a volunteer remove and hold any objects which are in the cage and would make for a cluttered background...like litter boxes etc. Then take a close up head shot of the cat and an image of the entire cat. The trick is to place the lighting (speedlight) so that you don't get a reflection on the stainless steel cage...done properly the stainless steel becomes a neutral grey and actually makes a nice background for the portrait. It was also suggested that a volunteer simply hold the cat and then I get in close for a tightly cropped image.

So...that's the latest on my project. Your ideas are always welcome.

Thanks - Wayne.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum