The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Playing with textures (and Haley)

Posted By: Jim Poor

Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/03/11 09:31 PM

Haley decided to jump in the mix when I was working with Foxy today.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/03/11 09:50 PM

Terrific - love it! Great model too.

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/03/11 10:58 PM

Thanks Peggysue. She was being very cooperative which is unusual for her when the camera comes out.
Posted By: DanM

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 10:29 AM

great pose jim, lovely dog!
Posted By: Julie

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 01:11 PM

I really like the warmer tones you are using. Don't you think it works better? Look how nice it pulls the colors out of the dogs

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 01:14 PM

Absolutely. I've had my eye on some warmer BGs for a while now. This one is only about 4 feet wide though so it doesn't work well for day to day use. I'd like a nice brown and a nice golden BG soon.

I have a shoot for a black / blue merle corgi today and the home is done in black & silver accents so I won't be using this one.
Posted By: StephanieMillner

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 07:33 PM

Beautiful. Hey- my dog's named Hailey too! (but with an I)

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 08:13 PM

Thanks Stephanie.

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/05/11 11:47 PM

Jim, use a gray vs an electric blue. Look at a lot of Steff's stuff. She uses lots of gray. I love grey. I have a roll of thunder grey paper I use all the time. I think I am going to get a big roll of it and use it on my background system. Take down most of my muslins. They are getting totally messed up on the rollers

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/06/11 12:06 PM

Well, I used my mottled grey muslin which worked out well. He had more red in him than I remembered, so I also used a more "burnt-orange" backdrop that I had left over from a fall set. It's a little too short for my liking and definitely too short to include a human. All in all, we did four BGs including white and black.

Interesting about the muslins on your rollers. I was just thinking I need to get some cores and put a couple muslins up on the rollers with the paper. What do you mean by messed up? Are the edges hanging over the core?

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/06/11 02:35 PM

Its motorized and I guess the muslin is too light(though, it is a thick heavy handpainted muslin vs ones that feel like sheets) and they wind up wrong. The canvases do fine. I am about to sell off some backdrops again and go with large thunder gray paper, white paper, my favorite tan muslin(which gives me fits) and the one cream canvas.

I just bought three flex out backgrounds, that will be incredible for traveling. Next purchase is a gray style roll out floor to use with them. I like my life to be easy. Easy is very very good.

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/06/11 06:38 PM

Have you tried the backdrop weights that attach to the end of the backdrop?

Right now, I have 9' rolls of Gray, Red, Black, White and Blue paper along with a mottle gray muslin, a burnt orange-ish muslin and some fabric BGs that I've used in small spaces.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/06/11 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Poor
I have a shoot for a black / blue merle corgi today and the home is done in black & silver accents so I won't be using this one.

I like purples for black/blues and black/silvers.
Posted By: KathyB

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/06/11 11:33 PM

I love this - it is a wonderful and welcoming pose of such a very attentive subject. The background is very complimentary to your lovely dog.
Posted By: StephanieMillner

Re: Playing with textures (and Haley) - 03/14/11 11:09 AM

Yep Julie knows... love me some Thunder Gray. (And #12 Savage Focus Grey, but I can't get it shipped here.)
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum