The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Backgrounds for Dogs

Posted By: Visceral Image

Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/03/11 10:02 PM

I have two rolls (9') paper, black and white. I have two 10' wide muslins, one light blue mottled and one red mottled. I would like to get some more variety; what would you all recommend for additional choices. I like the earth tones Jim has been playing with and that Julie recommends; any specific recommendations
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/03/11 11:37 PM

Depending on the brand, I usually look at the "Moca"or "Coco" and go one shade lighter and warmer from there.

Then a nice warm gold looks good. Almost burnt orange in person, but much different under lighting.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 12:40 AM

I have a wonderful blue tiedye muslin that I use (can be seen on the FP with the photo of the dal). I have two different styles of that one - one darker blue and one lighter blue. I also have a red one that I don't use very often because I find that the sensor has a hard time handling it (I get what appears to be a bleed that I cannot comprehend). Most of my clients - almost all of them - prefer black and/or white.

James
Posted By: Julie

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 11:54 AM

I love deep reds(on the burgandy side) browns, whites, creams and very occasionally black. I hate most blues. Who has a house that blue goes in these days? Especially med blue. Deep forest greens are nice too. Oh, gray, love gray. Still hate blue.

If I am shooting for myself, I will do some wild vivid colors. Problem is, very very few have a house that will look good with hot pink, turquoise or bright red. That is more for display work.

I have been criticized for shooting for what sells vs artistry, I have called boring, but, the reality is I will have to get a new job if I can't sell what I shoot!

White and brown almost always sell as it works great as home decor.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 12:26 PM

For shows, I have my "old masters" brown/burgundy standby, a medium blue which works for show pics and a mottled lavender which works surprisingly well for show shots. For portraits, I add in my own favorite which is black because it goes with any decor and because I know how to light it for any color dog -- especially black & tan smile. I'm planning to add some grey/charcoal combination soon but without a studio, there's no reason for me to stock any others.

Jim

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Julie
I love deep reds(on the burgandy side) browns, whites, creams and very occasionally black. I hate most blues. Who has a house that blue goes in these days? Especially med blue. Deep forest greens are nice too. Oh, gray, love gray. Still hate blue.

If I am shooting for myself, I will do some wild vivid colors. Problem is, very very few have a house that will look good with hot pink, turquoise or bright red. That is more for display work.

I have been criticized for shooting for what sells vs artistry, I have called boring, but, the reality is I will have to get a new job if I can't sell what I shoot!

White and brown almost always sell as it works great as home decor.

Gosh, Julie, I get the idea from your post that you do not like blue smile

Thanks all for comments.

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 01:52 PM

I believe Julie was traumatized by a blue backdrop as a young photographer. laugh

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Poor
I believe Julie was traumatized by a blue backdrop as a young photographer. laugh

That's cute, hopefully cute to Julie also. I enjoy Julie's photographic style and the fact that she is so focused on the client's needs

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 02:57 PM

I'm trusting in her sense of humor. She's given me quite the earful on blue BGs laugh
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 02:58 PM

I travel with black, white, shades of browns, shades of black/grey old masters, a burgandy, and 6 vivid baby backdrops ... right now sage/thistle is winning the popularity, followed by a vibrant blue/purple LOL
I have a bright orange that is gaining popularity ... of course, I debut a new backdrop a month, so, at shows, I get repeats alot, because they just must have a portrait on the new one smile

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 03:25 PM

Thanks Nina; I notice on your studio images, you do not use modeling lights (the pupils are huge); is this your preference. I like your backgrounds and antique chairs
Posted By: Julie

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 08:18 PM

gack blue! lol. I was traumatized. Spent awhile in a nice soft room after all that blue..... laugh

Re: Backgrounds for Dogs - 05/04/11 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Julie
gack blue! lol. I was traumatized. Spent awhile in a nice soft room after all that blue..... laugh

Love your sense of humor; blue is not my fav either.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum