The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Helpers or Handlers

Posted By: Visceral Image

Helpers or Handlers - 05/12/11 12:17 PM

My last couple sessions have been a bit more difficult; do you all use helpers/handlers or do you work alone. I have been working alone.

Could you give a brief description how you work and how you use your helper (if you use one)?
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Helpers or Handlers - 05/12/11 12:53 PM

When I can, I use Tammy, the world's BEST dog wrangler. When she's not available, I try to use the owner, but most of the time they are worse than working alone.

Tammy knows what I need and if a dog is too out of control to be off leash, she knows how to hold the leash so it doesn't get too in the way or pull on the dog's neck too much which can make it look funny.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Helpers or Handlers - 05/13/11 12:01 AM

I agree with Jim, some people are of no help but when you have a person that can read you and the animal it is pure magic. Some people can be trained and some people just do not have the rythm. So, if you can get an assistant that can listen and wants to learn what you need, it works the best.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Helpers or Handlers - 05/13/11 12:39 AM

Do you have the assistant sit to one side, in back a bit or in front, sort of.

The few times I have had an owner help; I have had problems keeping the owner quiet. I know they think they are helping but everytime they make any noise or movement, the pet looks immediately at them.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Helpers or Handlers - 05/13/11 01:03 AM

Depends on the dog(s).
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Helpers or Handlers - 05/13/11 01:37 PM

Usually I work alone or with Chanthee. I am always better with Chanthee, but I don't find the cost benefit to having someone wrangling for me. Essentially, that is what the owners are for. LOL, I advertise the portrait session as an interactive process.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum