The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Some of my recent work

Posted By: Kerri

Some of my recent work - 07/07/11 02:11 AM

Hello, I joined this forum quite a while ago but I don't think I've posted since then smile. For the past oh...maybe 18 months or so I have been teaching myself the art of child and pet portraiture. Last year I gave free sessions to anyone who would let me photograph them or their pets (lots of people signed up when I was free lol!), so I could learn, and several months ago I started my photography business.

I've had a really slow start - very difficult for me to attempt to run a (part-time) business and raise four children. I'm not even sure this is something I'll continue to attempt to do because I don't think my heart is in the business side of it. However, yesterday I booked my first "stranger" pet session and I'm so excited! Usually it's a friend or a friend of a friend or a relative of a friend that hires me lol, but this person picked up one of my cards at our local pet "spa".

Anyway, here is some of my recent work - I think it's all from this year. The boxers are mine - so much easier to photograph than my children! I always appreciate constructive criticism so feel free to offer it smile.

These were uploaded from Flickr which must sharpen everything? Does anyone know if that's true? Many of these were already sharpened for FB before I loaded them to flickr so they may appear too sharp and a little crunchy.

ISO on this one was 1000. Really high for my humble 50D but I was losing light fast. It's a little grainy because of it.

I think my ISO was 1250 here and in the previous photo so again, the grain smile.

I only use natural light or maybe I should say available light since I will use my speedlight at times.

Not my usual clean editing but it's my girl Freya, so I love it.

I have more from free sessions last year but I've probably posted way too many already wink.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/07/11 05:54 PM

Hey Kerri,

These are just lovely. I particularly like that last one with the silhouette and sunset! They are all excellent though. Thanks for sharing - and I hope we see more of you!

Sincerely,
James

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/08/11 12:36 PM

Thank you, James smile.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/09/11 02:55 PM

Beautiful work, Kerri. My favorites are the B&W of the GSD and the last one is really special because it tells a story and shows the relationship between the two dogs. Bravo!
Posted By: Tristin

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/11/11 08:32 PM

So inspiring! I am trying to do this myself... taking pictures of kids and pets, and what a learning adventure its been. I really like all of the pictures, especially the first three. If you dont mind me picking ur brain, what lense were u using for the pictures taken outside?
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/12/11 01:22 PM

Kerri,
your work is lovely. You clearly have a good eye and your compositions are quite nice. You've got the "photography" part of the business down pretty well but IMHO you'll have to figure out how to do "studio" work as well with backdrops and lighting.

As for the business side, that's the whole game. Being a great pet/child portraitist isn't going to do you much good if folks don't know about you. So, marketing is the key. And then there's all that stuff around pricing, production and delivery of the final product. Dabbling in it is fine. But if you want to make it a business, you'll have to put in the time to actually run it as a business. Good luck. If you need advice, this is the forum where you'll get it.

Jim
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/13/11 09:45 AM

All great captures...my fav of the set is the pink background one. She looks so kissable!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/13/11 11:52 AM

Kerri,
You have posted some terrific images. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. I too like to last one but the second to last makes me smile. You must work really hard to tire out this one (Min Pin?) smile = that one is my favorite!

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/13/11 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone smile.

Originally Posted By: Tristin
If you dont mind me picking ur brain, what lense were u using for the pictures taken outside?

The GSD photos were shot with my 70-200 f4L IS, my favorite lens, quite possibly because it's the only L glass I own wink. The silhouette with my EFS 17-55 IS.
Posted By: gebert

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/16/11 05:15 AM

Your images are all fantastic.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/18/11 04:30 PM

Lovely photographs. The first black and white is my favorite! I think they all have great overall composition.
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/26/11 12:45 PM

Kerri,

Nice images. You do have an eye. My wife and I are at a similar point. She has a great eye, but we have just gone digital and are immersing ourselves in the technology.

Four children... it's hard to make the time. The one thing absolutely necessary is to have the support and help of your husband or partner. If not, keep working at it until the kids are mostly out of the house. It can be done, but it all about priorities.

Jim is right. The business side is so important. You could be the best photographer ever, but if you can't market your product, no one will know or care.

My one piece of advice is... "go where the dogs are". Every time we go to the dog park with a camera, someone asks us if we are professionals and ask for a card. In the beginning my wife said no. Not anymore, I told her to always say yes, give out a card, and the the connection to her Facebook photos. If they like our images they will call. People who are "into their dogs" are "captivated" consumers.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Doug
Posted By: Sue Deutscher

Re: Some of my recent work - 07/28/11 07:39 AM

Awesome photos. I love the white boxer.
Posted By: As I see it

Re: Some of my recent work - 08/02/11 07:57 AM

Fantastic photos and beautiful dogs ... I love that last one, it kind of messes with my heartstrings - very precious.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Some of my recent work - 08/22/11 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hey Kerri,

These are just lovely. I particularly like that last one with the silhouette and sunset! They are all excellent though. Thanks for sharing - and I hope we see more of you!

Sincerely,
James

Ditto what James said. smile
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum