The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

New work - Amber

Posted By: debduco

New work - Amber - 09/23/11 03:13 AM

I am gonna try to be more active on this site. I could really use some constructive criticism of my pet photography, especially since I am new to the business.

Thanks,

Debbie

Posted By: DonParrot

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 10:37 AM

What can I say?

I really like this shot - the sharpness at the right position, there#s a nice atmosphere - but I certainly would like it even more if the trees would be standing upright.

I also often fail to get my pics as horizontal as they should be but this can be corrected by just a few seconds of PP.

And in addition, taking off the collar and the leash also would help.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 12:30 PM

Hi Debbie,
If you do not mind, I would like to show you how I might handle your image.
Glad you are becoming Pro-active! smile
Posted By: KatieC

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 02:23 PM

First off beautiful doggie smile

I like the shot, but I agree..the trees not being straight and the collar/leash take my attention away from the subject, but I am nowhere near a pro. lol

IMO you have great potential grin
Posted By: Lesley

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 05:45 PM

I disagree, I like the offset angle, I would maybe crop a bit off the top, but it adds interest for me and catches my eye better than as if it were straight. It is more artistic this way IMHO.

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 05:59 PM

I understand what everyone is saying about the orientation of the picture. I did not adjust the image so the tree was upright because the trunk is actually slanted. So the image is true to the actual scene.

Also, I did not clone out the leash/caribiner because I was short on time. Normally I would have done so, especially if it was for a client, absolutely.

I appreciate everyones advice. I will try and post an image every week. I just dont have lots of spare time running a business and working full time. Ughhhh

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Lesley
I disagree, I like the offset angle, I would maybe crop a bit off the top, but it adds interest for me and catches my eye better than as if it were straight. It is more artistic this way IMHO.

Thanks Lesley smile
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: New work - Amber - 09/23/11 08:30 PM

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sharing. I don't mind the orientation of the photo at all. I think the comment about the harness is accurate though as I find it distracting. It is not always an option to take off the harness, unfortunately. frown

I am curious to see what Peggy Sue has in mind for the image.

James
Posted By: DonParrot

Re: New work - Amber - 09/24/11 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: debduco
Also, I did not clone out the leash/caribiner because I was short on time. Normally I would have done so, especially if it was for a client, absolutely.

I appreciate everyones advice. I will try and post an image every week. I just dont have lots of spare time running a business and working full time. Ughhhh

Hi Debbie,

I didn't want to say that you should clone out the leash etc. I never ever do clone out anything. From my point of view, photography is about capturing a moment of reality. So if I've taken a picture with anything on it I don't like - like a leash or something disturbing in the background - I live it or try do get a second chance for the picture.

But that's just me, don't want to say that cloning out something is something nehative.
Posted By: Welshfilly

Re: New work - Amber - 09/24/11 10:51 PM

Good sharp photo...the tilt doesn't work for me either nor the knot in the tree next to the dog's eye. They both try and compete for my attention. I do like the alert expression on this dog's face. Thanks for sharing your image!

Polly
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: New work - Amber - 09/25/11 02:32 PM

Debbie,

Here's my two cents worth (and I do mean two cents). I am with team Don on the cloning. I like the picture and Amber's intensity.

If it were me, a little more cropping is what I would have done. The collar is there, but crop just above the black harness and then take the top of the image down just below what appears to be a knot in the second tree. About 1/2" down in the image. That would help frame it a little better.

For what it's worth,

Doug
Posted By: psmith

Re: New work - Amber - 09/27/11 03:27 AM

I would suggest that you allow Peggy Sue to show you what she thinks wouLd
improve this image.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: New work - Amber - 09/27/11 04:10 PM

Nice work, but . . .

The tree isn't slanted that much in reality unless the one behind it is too - and the ground where we see a little bit of green back there is slanted quite a bit.

For my tastes, the image is a little bright, but I'm looking at it on a crappy machine right now. I'll take a look on my real monitor later.
Posted By: drpotter2807

Re: New work - Amber - 10/05/11 06:42 PM

I'm not seeing the image?
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: New work - Amber - 10/05/11 06:49 PM

I believe it has been removed.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum