The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

first shots in new studio

Posted By: BAP

first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 12:41 AM

I finally got some studio equipment and the following photos are my initial efforts. Now that I have strobes I will be asking lots of questions, so be prepared. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your comments.
http://actonphotography.smugmug.com/photos/103384819-M.jpg
http://actonphotography.smugmug.com/photos/103384811-M.jpg

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 01:16 AM

Here is another one.
http://actonphotography.smugmug.com/photos/103395833-M.jpg
Posted By: Julie

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 01:43 PM

I can't seem to get anything from your links. Do you have the ext links and easy sharing turned on?? You can make the gallery private, yet share the photos with those two options turned on. I have a feeling they are turned off and is the reason they are not coming up here

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 03:51 PM

Hi Julia. I turned on the ext links, so it should work now. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 03:59 PM

Sorry again, I meant Julie not Julia. I am off to a bad start here. Anyway I just figured out how to embed the photos, so here goes.

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 04:33 PM

You can call me whatever you feel like, as long as it isn't derogatory

I still don't see the photos. I am sure you will eventually work it out, after you resist the urge to throw the camera out of the window

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 04:36 PM

I have no idea what is going on here. I can see the photos through the links and the embedded ones. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Brian
Posted By: Psycht

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 07:10 PM

Hi Brian!

I can see the photos :-) They are really nice. What sorts of lighting was used in the photos? The one thing I might have changed is the reflection aspect to the photos, it tended to distract me from the dog. Very nice though and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/18/06 07:29 PM

I can see them now!

Very very cute!

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 12:04 AM

I am glad that I have finally figured out this problem. I agree that the reflection could be a little distracting. I did this because i have always loved this look. These are the very first shots that i took with my new studio equipment or any studio equipment for that matter. I hope to pick this stuff up fairly quickly and with everyones help I think that i will. Julie I have been an admirer of your work since i joined this forum.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 04:29 AM

Hey Brian,

I would like to know more about your set-up. I like the reflections - but I agree that you need to be thoughtful about when it is appropriate.

Cheers
James

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 07:50 PM

Hey James

My setup consists of 2 800 Alien Bee's. The puppy was placed about 5 feet from the backround and about 3 feet from the camera. I had a large softbox on the right, right beside the pup. I also had an umbrella just to the left of the camera. Here is another shot that I did the next day.

Posted By: earline

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 08:06 PM

Very impressive shots!. How did you get the reflections? Is it plexiglas on the table? The kitty is beautiful, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Earline

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 08:16 PM

Hello earline

Thank you for the comment, and yes it is just plexiglass.

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/19/06 09:57 PM

Love the cat photo!!
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/20/06 04:25 AM

I think the exposure is good. I would like to see more light on the backgroud, to make it white. Why are you shooting so close to the subject? Just curious?

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/20/06 12:28 PM

Hello Finalshot
There are two reasons the backround is not white. First, I like the look of the backround being a slightly different shade, I think it adds more depth. Second, I only have two lights right now and I like using them for main and fill ( not much luck using reflector for fill ). And the reason that I am shooting so close is because I am working by my self and I have to stay close to the pup to get him to stay.
Now it is my turn to ask you some questions, Ha Ha. I have tried both backround methods (blown out and the way I have shown you here ). I have to say, most people liked the backround of the photos that I posted here. Should I listen to the buying public or should I stick to the "photography rules"
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: first shots in new studio - 10/20/06 01:45 PM

You should do what makes you happy and what youre clients will pay for. BUT, you likely wont gennerate a new following unless you do somthing radical or somthing that is proven. That takes practice, and a lot of it.

I'll bet if you were to put some of those shots out as hi-key they would gennerate additional interest. There's a reason there are basics, not because they are the "best" but because they work. Usually, the "best" stuff in my opinion slightly breaks the rules. In your case, while I understand your purpose, and your point, I believe I rather see hi-key than an under exposed background. My preference is for a completely white background and offset poses with appealing angles.

Keep shooting, the more you photography, the more you know what can and can not be photographed. . . elliot porter
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum