The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Here's one from a recent portrait sitting

Posted By: Jim Poor

Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 11/16/09 06:32 PM

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 11/17/09 11:54 PM

Hey Jim,

You are breaking rules, you know. You only need to shoot the dog from up high if it is over weight. That is a joke of course.

Honestly, I did look at this image a couple of times before replying (that seems to happen a lot in the Critiques forum). Initially, I found the dog's pose, in combination with your photographing angle, to be a bit disorienting. Having said that, I look at it over and over again and I have decided that I like the pose because it is different. Also, I will admit that I tend to get a bit crazy about shadow elimination when shooting on a white background, but what you are presenting is fine.

Curiously, you are a competent photographer showing off a well lit and composed image - what are you looking for in a critique? And, for the second $64,000 question is - did the image sell?

Cheers,
James

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 11/18/09 12:08 AM

Thanks James,

I sort of "discovered" this angle by accident although I'm sure it has been done many times before.

It strikes me as a sort of funny greeting card look, yet a bit disorienting in a fun-house sort of way.

I do notice in JPG form that there is some banding in between the light and dark side of the backdrop, but I think I have a cure for that next time around.

What am I looking for in a critique? Good question. Since it was shot in such an unusual (for me anyway) way, I thought I'd see what others had to say about it.

Did it sell? We'll see. I did show it to the owner on the back of the camera and she was all misty-eyed over it, but there are other, stronger images in her proof set.

You can see some others on page 2-3 here: http://jimpoor.net/photocart/index.php?vp=3&do=photocart&viewGallery=5070
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 02/03/10 07:36 PM

I do not have problem with the shadow on the ground; good the the dogs "equipment" is hidden by the chest. The image is interesting and would be an excellent addition to a set of proofs, I would not want it to be the chosen image to hang over the fireplace.

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 02/03/10 08:32 PM

Thanks. She's a girl so hiding the "equipment" wasn't such an issue. I agree that I wouldn't put it over the mantle, but mayhaps on the cover of a photo book.
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 02/06/10 07:25 PM

Great shot! If I were the customer, I'd display this somewhere low so the the effect is complete upon looking down at it. Could be used very creatively in lots of ways. Nice.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 02/21/10 02:46 PM

It is one I would include in a set of proofs, not one I would enter into a competition. I always leave shadows and reflections on both colored paper and white. It grounds the subject. I do not like the floating in the air look.

It could be made compositionaly stronger by taking a little off the top and adding a little to the left.

Re: Here's one from a recent portrait sitting - 02/22/10 12:43 AM

Thanks Julie.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum