The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Post Proc Challenge - Zion

Posted By: James Morrissey

Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 04:09 PM

Hey Guys,

This is a photo in Zion that I took that I REALLY want to like. I just don't feel like the colors are coming out properly though. They are way too muted and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Anyone want to take a stab?

James

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 05:00 PM

James,
here's my shot at enhancing the image. I also like it a lot but it seems to cry out for "over-processing" to emphasize the textures and colors. Anyway, hope you like it.

Jim
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 05:20 PM

I will need a raw sample please. :~)

Roman

Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 05:45 PM

Hey Jim,

Thanks for taking a crack at it for me. I agree with you that unfortunately it appears to cry for heavy processing. I don't like the look with it so completely saturated. Would you want to take a stab with the RAW image?

On another note, Roman, I am sending it to you now via Send This File.. Just a warning - it is a very big file 27.4 MB RAW.

James
Posted By: glamson

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 05:59 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

This is a photo in Zion that I took that I REALLY want to like. I just don't feel like the colors are coming out properly though. They are way too muted and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Anyone want to take a stab?

James

I agree with Roman that it would be better to start from the original raw image. However, here is a stab at the low res web version.

PostProcChallenge-Zion - 12/19/09 06:09 PM

Thanks, George. Yours is more in line with where I was trying to go. Want the RAW file? For that matter, anyone who wants the RAW file to take a look at, please feel free to post it here or send me a PM.

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 06:50 PM

James,
pls. send the RAW file.

Jim
Posted By: daveman

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 07:11 PM

James,

Great composition. I know exactly where that is under weeping rock. I was standing right there and really struggled to find a composition I liked that included that peak - I think you found it.

I would appreciate if I could give a shot at your file..

BTW -
Posted By: psmith

Re: Post Proc Challenge - Zion - 12/19/09 07:16 PM

OK, what the heck. Let me give it a shot with the RAW file.
Posted By: glamson

Look familiar James? - 12/19/09 07:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

James

What a difference the seasons can make. Here is an image of the same area taken in August of '05. It was hot and there was only drips of water "weeping" from the rock. After looking at your image I think I should go back in the fall after some rain and do a reshoot.

Re: Look familiar James? - 12/19/09 10:21 PM

Hey George,

Yes. It certainly does. :P Thanks guys for the work on this. I have just sent out the photo to the 4 of you through 'Send This File.' Let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks
James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/28/09 08:49 PM

Hey Guys,

Just curious to see if anyone was able to re-process my raw image with satisfaction.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/28/09 11:18 PM

James,

I wanted to play with your file, but when I tried to download it I selected to "run" it rather than "save" it, and therefore lost it (or at least cannot find it). I then tried to re-download it, but it had exceeded the number of downloads. If you do not mind re-sending it, I can try again.

Sorry
Dave

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/29/09 11:36 AM

I haven't used this service before, it went into my Spam folder and now the file is expired. Please resend. Sorry.

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/30/09 06:08 PM

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the info. I will make a second stab this evening at sending the file.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/31/09 05:31 AM

Hey Guys,

The file is off. Please let me know if you do not receive the link.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 12/31/09 08:15 PM

Ok - I gave this a shot. I had to convert the file to DNG format so CS3 could read it.

I brought in two different exposures settings from ACR and blended them in PS.... Now that I am looking at it from the internet, I am not sure I like the top of the mountain in this shot. This was a pretty quick adjustment, but this is what I have.

I have been playing with a demo version of Photomatrix, so thought I would try that with your file. I saved three different exposure setting in ACR, and imported those three files into Photomatrix, then played with it a little in both Photomatrix and PS. I thought it would be interesting to see the difference. I think I like what Photomatrix did to the trees better than the other version.

You can see it has the photomatrix watermark because I do not think I will purchase the software; I am only using the demo.

Hope this is helpful - thanks for letting me play with it.

Dave

Re: Zion- Checking In - 01/02/10 04:58 AM

Hi David,

I think you did a great job with the trees - they look richer and more saturated. I wish that more could be done with the area of sky between the edge of the rock face and the mountain.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 01/02/10 07:22 PM

Yes - I see there is some banding in the sky in my version. I am not sure why - but somewhere in my process I think I added that. I played with it a little bit below again; while it is a little better, I did not eliminate it and now have some ghosting. Sorry I think that is beyond my current PP abilities.

Maybe someone else???

Posted By: spartacusii

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/19/10 05:53 AM

i would be interested in taking a stab at this challenge. pls send me the RAW file - i did what i could with the little 1.66 x 2.5 file. i'm sure this could be improved with more data.

in the meantime, here is my edit.

jp

Attached picture 28990-IMG_2912_w_JPedit.jpg

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/21/10 04:07 PM

Hey JP,

I found the file. Are you still interested in playing around with it? I will launch it off to you.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/22/10 12:06 AM

Yes - still very much interested. do you have my email addy?

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/22/10 04:02 AM

Hey JP,

Please send me an e-mail...

James@ NWPphotoforum.com

Cheers
James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/25/10 04:49 AM

Hey JP,

The file was sent to you via send this file. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

James

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/28/10 05:40 AM

james -

got the new file, & went to work. i found this image to be a difficult image to work with. i'm guessing it is due to the backlighting creating different casts in various parts of it. also, that mid-day sun (that's my guess, anyway) can be problematic from the git-go.

at any rate, not having been there, i still tried to work with the data that was in the image & hold it as true as possible. i found quite a big difference in this version to my original edit with the web file i was able to download initially. i will probably tinker with this some more later, as there are still areas that i would like to address, & it gives me a good image to work on to do just that.

i would be interested to see your thoughts on the edit - & feel free to be as brutally honest with them.

jp

Attached picture 29140-IMG_2912_jpEdited.jpg

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/28/10 04:18 PM

By the way James, I did work with this after you sent it to me and I did not have any wow-wow results with it. Maybe if I had days to tweak. Or it you had 3 or 4 other images to HDR.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Zion- Checking In - 03/28/10 06:22 PM

Go back and shoot it in better light. . .
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum