The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies

Posted By: Greg Lynch

Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/02/10 07:26 AM

Asleep on Mom with a full tummy... shot raw, cropped, resized and sharpened using USM 400,2,0; Canon 5D, 100mm f2.8 macro lens, natural light. Critiques appreciated please.

Attached picture 27807-Holly-3097cropped.jpg
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/02/10 03:28 PM

Greg,
great puppy; very nice image. I'd eliminate that flare/light spot on the lower left corner but that's it.

Jim

Re: Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/03/10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Greg,
great puppy; very nice image. I'd eliminate that flare/light spot on the lower left corner but that's it.

Jim

Hey, Jim - thanks for the comment. did not think to do that - it's where Mom's black coat falls off at the skin line. That's her bare tummy. Should I clone that out?

Greg
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/03/10 04:58 PM

Greg,
although you said it was Holly on her mom, you really can't tell that's mom under her so, personally, I'd clone out the skin area. It's a matter of personal choice. If you could see more of mom, it wouldn't be an issue. Like in this shot.

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/03/10 06:51 PM

Hope it is okay with you, but I find it most helpful in this section when people show what they would do with the image posted. I love this image of this pup. It is very calming and one of those aw moments.
I do like the curve of the body but two points bothered me. The first was the bottom right was too close to the edge and I added a little more room for that pretty face.
The second was the large out of focus body drew my eye away again from that darling face. This is how I would have handled this finished image.

Re: Holly - one in a litter of 9 Lab puppies - 01/04/10 02:06 AM

Thanks - I really appreciate the input.

Jim - excellent illustration of what you were trying to convey. I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but the area in your image (lovely rotties, btw) was placed exactly right, so I could scroll just a smidge to effectively "crop" it and it made you point very well.

Peggysue - nice crop, and I love the almost medium format look it gives to the image. I also agree - taking out most of the body focuses attention exactly where it should be - on the face.

Thanks again - anyone else?
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum