The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

People retouching - Before & After

Posted By: Jim Poor

People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 01:04 PM

People are definitely my weak spot.

This is a bit warm and over sharp in the after because it is adjusted for the prints I get back from the lab. Other than that, what do you think?

Too much on the facial retouching or not enough?

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 03:43 PM

Jim,
you got rid of the circles under her eyes but basically left everything else alone. I think it looks good. If I were doing it, I'd smooth the skin out a bit both on her face/neck and her arm but that might be considered too much retouching for some. It's all a matter of personal taste. As I said, this looks good to me.

Jim

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 04:04 PM

Thanks Jim,

I actually did a light (apparently too light) smoothing of the skin on her face. Didn't touch the arm though.

I also did her teeth and eyeballs.

I'm afraid to be too heavy-handed, but maybe a bit more wouldn't hurt.
Posted By: Julie

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 05:05 PM

The best thing I have found for portrait retouching is Mama Shan's actions. My favorite is her silk powder. I brush it on at 100% and then lower the opacity to taste

Short lighting her with a softbox(feather it so it is very soft) would help also.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 05:09 PM

At viewing size, I can't really see that level of detail. It really is a matter of what you feel is right for the person. I had a candid I took of a very attractive woman at the Rottie National while she was modeling a pendant that was being auctioned off. The lighting made her skin look blotchy and rough which was not at all flattering nor was it accurate from what I remembered at the time. So I used my skin-smoothing plug-in mercilessly and the end result was really quite nice.

With another candid of three "middle-aged women" modeling their matching T-shirts, I used it mildly to just smooth out the normal aging process and they loved it. You do what you think is right and most people will just accept it as an accurate picture of how they look.

Jim

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 05:17 PM

Thanks Julie,

I think you've mentioned them before. I used Eye Doctor and The Dentist from MCP Actions. I tried Magic Skin, but didn't like the feel of it.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 05:20 PM

Jim,

Which plug-in do you use?

I was griping about not having portrait sessions not long ago, but now I'm suddenly swamped. It's mostly about the dogs, but I figure I better get decent at the owners too!

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 06:15 PM

Jim,
I use Kodak Digital GEM Pro and I've used it through 3 versions of Photoshop. It does a nice job of smoothing and yet is controllable.

Jim

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 06:34 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 08:26 PM

Hey Jim,

I am not seeing the image embedded in the post or an attachment. Is it me?

James

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 08:36 PM

Hi James,

Must be just you. It's embedded in the post.

This is the link it is embedded from: http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/126909728
Posted By: psmith

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 09:08 PM

When it comes to human retouching, I believe that less is more so I like your treatment of this. That said, I use a chainsaw and not a putty knife - Portrait Professional. I tune it back. You can spend way too much time on flesh and wrinkles if you aren't careful.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 09:36 PM

Hey Jim,

You are, of course, correct. My server was blocking it. I did see it with my ipad. At the viewing size, it is hard to tell entirely, however, I think you did a nice job with the eyes. It might be nice to see the files at a larger size, or perhaps a swatch of the 100% crop if you don't want to post at a larger size.

I hear what Preston is saying, but I would probably do a small amount of extra work on this photo. For example, I would still consider cleaning up some of the specular highlights. For example, the light going down the nose, and on the lips. You did a nice job with the light and I don't think it absolutely needs to be done...but it would definitely be on the table.

James

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 09:44 PM

I have portrait professional also, I still like Mama Shan's powder's the best. Not expensive either. I am not working on a calibrated monitor so, I can't comment on much else!

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 10:00 PM

Jim,
as with any plug-in, you can control the amount of the effect by fading it in Edit. I generally do that with Noise Ninja when I want the effect but don't want to lose detail. Same with skin smoothing: if you think it's too much, fade it and see if you like it better.

Jim

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 10:16 PM

Thanks James.

I have no issue posting a larger version, just didn't want to go too big for the forum. I'll work on it tomorrow.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 10:18 PM

I got some of her actions today. I'll try them out tomorrow when I have some time to play.

Quote:

I have portrait professional also, I still like Mama Shan's powder's the best. Not expensive either. I am not working on a calibrated monitor so, I can't comment on much else!

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/27/10 10:30 PM

You'll like them. The two I use the most are the original composite powder and the silk powder. Silk is a little more sheer, but both even skin tones and take away lines. Leaves enough to be natural. Just pull back the opacity to taste

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/29/10 07:29 PM

OK, Here's a comparison of (Left to right, top to bottom)

1. The original 2. My first edit using my own facial retouching plus MCP Eye Doctor & Dentist

3. A new edit, using only Mama Shan's silk powder 4. Another new edit using silk powder, followed by the healing brush, eye doctor and dentist.

For an even larger version go to: http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/126979198/original

I think I got the eyes better in my first edit. I'm not sure if it's the over sharpness or the over whitening I don't like in the final edit. Overall, I think I like the final edit the best, but probably should hit her left cheek a little with the healing brush.

Thoughts?

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/29/10 10:44 PM

I like #3 skin the best as it looks the most natural and "real" The eyes are best in #2. She will probably like her skin the best in 4. I don't know. I'd go with 3/2

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/30/10 12:10 PM

#2 is the most natural overall. That's my pick.

Jim

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 07/30/10 03:53 PM

Thanks guys. I think I may try layering 3 over two and blending, then get rid of the dark circles in 3 completely.

For now though, I'm off to PA for a TDAA trial.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/09/10 12:36 PM

Jim, develop a faster workflow for this because if you actually start doing people, you are going to need one a heck of a lot faster, or you'll never get through it. Mine goes silk powder/fogbuster action(really just unsharp mask) that adds back in detail and contrast, a sparkle for the eyes and done.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/09/10 09:03 PM

Oh, I'm sure I will. It really isn't that long as it is, but if I do more of them, I'll get quicker at it too.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/11/10 12:15 AM

Hey Jim,

I agree with Julie. I think that #3 or #2 are the best ones. I prefer #3 over-all. I think the skin looks the best.

James

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/11/10 12:16 AM

Funny, I just got the prints back from this session tonight. They look pretty doggone good, if I must say so myself.
Posted By: Attila Kegyes

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 06:28 PM

My only question is:

This is a photo forum or, digital pianters forum about how to owerpaint a person on a picture, make it looks like never appear in real life.

I'm sorry guys, but as a photographer it is irritate me when people talking about how to fix all mistakes in PS or other computer softwers. I know this is the easy way because need no knowledge about photography, but this is not photography anymore! This is "computergraphy".

And please don't even mention Ansel Adams as an exuse for all this!

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 06:37 PM

Hi Attila,

Retouching facial lines, etc has nothing to do with "mistakes" or getting it right in camera.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 06:56 PM

Hi Jim,

Photographers did use good lighting technics, and makeup, and portrait lenses to eliminate facial lines and skin inperfections.

Today's photographers use the sharpest lenses for portrait which shows the smallest skin problems, than use PS bluring tool, to eliminate them. Make no sense! Use portrait lens, and don't set the highest sharpnes on a camera during the photoshoot.

There was photography before PS! But today, looks like no one can do picture without it.

I believe the retouch is OK until it is not create a different person, from the subject. This women is a 40+ but after the retouch she became a teenager.
I believe, any kind of retouch should be only cover temporari skin inperfections, like cuts or pimples, or bug bites, etc. Everything else which is permanent on the subject face should be remain on a photo.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 06:59 PM

Some photographers employed makeup artists, you are correct. Many still do, but they still do retouching after the fact.

If you think all those wonderful portraits from the film days are simply a result of a softer lens, good makeup and lighting skills, you are mistaken.

Retouchers have been around just about as long as photography has.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 07:16 PM

I have no porblem with retouch! Retouch is need because there are scratches and chemical stains and dust can be appear on a pictures.
But I think that, to repaint a subject and make it 15-20 years yunger on a picture, or painting for him/her a smaller nose, whiter theet, smaller ears, or change anything which is otherwise permanent on an appearence, is to much.

This is my opinion.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/12/10 07:20 PM

I had pretty much the same opinion when I was doing strictly nature photography. Portraiture is another world though.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/15/10 01:03 AM

Attila, you would sell very few portraits. I can tell you for a fact that no photo of me would be purchased, none the less seen unedited. It is always up to the person how they want to present what they do.

Women do not like to see wrinkles, eye bags, red eyes, or imperfections. If you don't make them look as they feel, you will feel it most in your pocketbook
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/15/10 03:41 PM

I like the #2 photo the best. Her hair is that nice vibrant color, and she looks natural. If it were me, I would go with #2, #3 is ok, but I don't like the circles under the eyes that did not show up in #2. #3 and 4, the skin tones are too light, I like the gold glow in the original and #2.

just my .02 cents!

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/16/10 05:01 PM

I said, if the retouch is just cover the temporary imperfectoins, that is fine! But makeing a teenager from a 40+ women is too much. I know that, women dont like wrinkles, eye bags, etc. but just because you make them dissapear on a picture, the woman still have them on her face! So the picture gonna lie!
These pictures not gonna be on a magazine cover! These picture gonna hang at home in a family room, where family members, and frends gonna see it. But frends and family members know, the women on a picture actually have wrinkles and eye bags! So the picture is lie, and became unnatural too!
I believe, you can sell more picture if, instead of retouch the wrinkles or eye bags, you find the way to show on your pictures the subject's real ego, and the real connections between the subject and his/her pet.
To this, you have to study more about portrait photography than Photoshop picture manipulations.
You have to observe your subject as soon as their step into your studio. You have to observe and study the subject personality, the mental connections between the pet and owner, etc. The portrait photography much more than technical picture making.
Myself, I would no pai for a picture which just shows me and my pet even it is technically the most perfect picture which shows me 20 years yunger! I want to see on a picture how I feel to my pet, how I love it, how close we are each other.
The technical perfections only a part of portrait photography.

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 08/16/10 05:12 PM

The thing is Attila, you aren't the one paying and the ones paying desire to look like how they FEEL. You can do a lot with lighting, and my portraits are all about relationships. Doesn't mean that it is necessary to leave in wrinkles and imperfections. I have done this enough to know that women will choose the one that has been more heavily "made up" than the ones that are more true.

Even my friend who went off about how wrong it was, then she saw an edited photo of her and that was the one she wanted.

It isn't photojournalism. It isn't nature photography. Its the same thing(but better) that portrait photographers used to do with vaseline on a filter.

You are man. You obviously do not think like a woman. I am a 40 year old woman and I can tell you, I do not feel like what my photos show. I would not put an unedited photo of me up, and I wouldn't do it to a client
Posted By: Gianchetta

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 09/07/10 02:33 AM

I think the retouching works. You dont want to over do it. Its like make up. The goal is to apply it and not make it too noticeable. Only thing that pops out at me right way is all the empty space above her head.... but I am sure you will take care of that on the 8x10 crop, etc! =) Good work!
Posted By: Lesley

Re: People retouching - Before & After - 11/08/10 03:37 PM

One thing I learned from a renowned portrait photographer is to be sure you have brought out the catch light in the eyes using your dodge tool and to use the burn tool to make a dark line around the outside of the iris... of course you need to use discretion. I know some folks use Mama's Powder action for complexions and I have seen it used an dlike it, but I really like Nik Color EFEX .. the complexion smoother.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum