The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Collage again

Posted By: Jim Poor

Collage again - 09/08/10 06:04 PM

What do you think? Am I making any progress on these things?

Posted By: psmith

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 07:01 PM

I think it is too much. Too busy. Less is more.

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 07:05 PM

I agree on that, but the client wanted all the images included.

My first thought was "Ugh, what am I going to do with all those tunnels?!"
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 07:58 PM

Too busy Jim! Keep the A-Frame, you are right, there are a awful amount of tunnels and chutes. Can you add a set of weave poles, diagionally on the bottom left corner heading to the middle of the photo? Keep the blue chute on the right, that is a great photo, and the jump photo. I would think about adding a table on the bottom right corner. I would say 4 images? maybe 5 total. 8 is a little much (counting the A-Frame)

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 08:10 PM

No Table in NADAC plus these are the image the client selected. Now, it's up to me to put them in.

I think in the future, I'll limit the number of images included in each collage.

Live and learn.

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 08:55 PM

OH!
You didn't mention that part. The client want all of those images? Can you shrink some of them? I think the biggest thing I don't like is the central pic. The out of focus fence thingy draws your eye to it. Can you clone out just the dog, than add some grass in? That may help it look less crowded.

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 10:35 PM

I can put grass over the fence easily enough. Maybe shrink the top tunnels a bit.

This one isn't so bad, I have another that I'm completely uninspired about.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 10:42 PM

Not to get too specific but how do you price these. They are almost getting a photo book in an 8x10.

Re: Collage again - 09/08/10 10:49 PM

Probably too low right now.

$45 for 8x10 and $65 for 11x14.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Collage again - 09/09/10 12:34 AM

Definitely too low. Especially for all those photos
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Collage again - 09/09/10 08:09 PM

limit the # of images on each size collage, ad charge too much to add additional images LOL ...

I allow my clients to choose the images, color scheme, text etc & send them a proof before they go to print

3 image 8x10 collage
5 image 11x14 collage
5 image 8x24 collage
8 image 16x20 collage
larger available upon request

even though itz busy, it blends well, all except the brownish thing left to the center bottom sitting pic ... what the heck is that? replace it with grass maybe?

here's an 8x10 simple design

and a 6 image 11x14 pawprint design

Re: Collage again - 09/09/10 08:14 PM

Thanks.

I have a really hard time doing the solid color backgrounds. Not sure why, but I'm never happy.

The "brown thing" is a fence, now covered by grass.

Your list is almost exactly what I was considering, but I'd start with 2-3 images on the 8x10.

That way, folks could order the one like I put in the planned composite thread. If you like the sound of crickets, visit that thread :-)

This is the image:

Posted By: Lesley

Re: Collage again - 11/08/10 03:51 PM

I agree that less is more.. Personally, I don't offer 8x10 collages... not worth my time and effort. I start at 11x14, but encourage much larger sizes from 16x20 up to 24x36". My two most popular sizes are 18x24" and 20 x24".

This is a recent 20x24" of 2 Bedlingtons.

Re: Collage again - 11/08/10 04:10 PM

Those are lovely Leslie!

Re: Collage again - 11/08/10 04:13 PM

Yes, very nice indeed.
Posted By: Loueen

Re: Collage again - 11/24/10 08:27 PM

I am far from a pro, but I think if you clean up around each shot and clone in some grass or something maybe it would help. I did a shoot for somebody that wanted photos of her dog training and threw in this collage....for free I guess she can't complain then But I did get rid of most of what I found distracting by cloning in grass.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Collage again - 11/26/10 11:23 AM

Nice job! Indiviual shots are nicely executed and the centerpiece shot is wonderful... fabulous looking GSD!

Re: Collage again - 11/27/10 12:10 AM

wow, a BT that actually goes where it is supposed to? LOL

beautiful collage
Posted By: Loueen

Re: Collage again - 11/27/10 01:24 AM

Thank you
I was thinking this sort of layout may work for the original collage posted. It has the same amount of photos, but I made the action shots smaller.
Just a suggestion...
Posted By: Diane

Re: Collage again - 12/29/10 02:26 PM

One of my biggest complaints about the original collage posted here is the central dog portrait. That has to be the highlight shot, IMO. And, what bothers me is that you can only see one eye. In fact, all the images only show a side shot. Do you have any sharp 2-eyes portraits?

Having said that, I agree that it's all too busy. All suggestions here are excellent. My poodle client wants me to create a collage for her. I'll likely be putting it up here for critique, too. :-) Something to keep me busy this coming weekend.

Re: Collage again - 12/29/10 04:10 PM

Thanks Diane.

Those are the images the client wanted, though I have to say I don't have an issue with profile or semi-profile images - especially from an agility run.

Since I posted that collage, I've been inundated with collages. Too many, so I think it's time to raise the pricing on them.

I did recently tell a client "You need to let me get rid of two images to make this work." I showed her my concept and she loved it, so the biggest thing I've figured out is to push back when it doesn't work.

Re: Collage again - 12/30/10 02:32 AM

have you tried putting a limit on each size of collage, ie limited to 3 or 5 images ... one will be the larger main and the rest an inch or more smaller

also, every collage is a custom creation, I talk to my clients, include their input, make a collage and email them a proof of it, sometimes they're in love, sometimes they want things moved around a bit

Re: Collage again - 12/30/10 12:44 PM

Quote:

have you tried putting a limit on each size of collage, ie limited to 3 or 5 images ... one will be the larger main and the rest an inch or more smaller

also, every collage is a custom creation, I talk to my clients, include their input, make a collage and email them a proof of it, sometimes they're in love, sometimes they want things moved around a bit

I'm reworking my price list to limit the number of images for each size.

I'm also splitting it into "story board" and custom at different price levels.

I send at least two proofs for each collage and let the client choose, tweak, etc. So far, I've only had one come back with, "I don't like either of them."
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum