The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Before & After - Major surgery

Posted By: Jim Poor

Before & After - Major surgery - 12/08/10 08:12 PM

Before:

Two "Afters:"

Posted By: psmith

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/08/10 11:43 PM

Nice, Jim. What technique are you using? mask, refine edge, dodge highlights/art history, replace color...inquiring minds want to know what's quick and perfect.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/09/10 12:20 AM

I don't know what Jim uses, but I like and use a program called Vertus Fluid Mask 3. You can try it for free.

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/09/10 12:22 AM

Thanks Preston.

I lassoed the boy and part of the dogs chest from other photos and added them as a layer to the original. The putting together was all done with regular old masking.

The boy's left hand was what "scared" me, so I chose poses that looked like his arm should be around the dog anyway so I could leave it in place.

Of course, I probably should have tried for one more shot with his head showing in the first place, but by the end of the session when the hats came out, I think everyone had had enough.

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/09/10 12:23 AM

Quote:

I don't know what Jim uses, but I like and use a program called Vertus Fluid Mask 3. You can try it for free.

I have Fluid Mask, but haven't used it in probably a year.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 01:16 AM

Hey Jim,

That's pretty awesome - nicely done. It looks really natural. I thought I saw some signs of cutting on the dog's chest, but I see that it is consistent in both shots. Very nice indeed. LOL, I'm not worthy!!!

James

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 01:19 AM

Thanks. I was just showing this to Tammy and noticed that the original looks "blotchy?" Like red blobs on the fur or something. It shows in areas that were not retouched for the afters, but doesn't show in the afters. Any idea where that comes from?
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 01:57 AM

Hey Jim,

I am not noticing them off the bat. Where are you seeing them?

James

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hey Jim,

I am not noticing them off the bat. Where are you seeing them?

James

Start at the bottom of the dog's left leg and follow it up to the shoulder area. Blotchy red patches up there and elsewhere. I'll have to go back to the original file and see what's up. Maybe something got tweaked when it was compressed?
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 02:31 PM

For my personal preference as seen on my monitor, the white of the santa hats are noticeably gray toned, and need some whitening/brightening.

Re: Before & After - Major surgery - 12/10/10 02:41 PM

Yeah, that bugs me a little, but any whiter and they vanish into the backdrop.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum