The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Another collage

Posted By: Jim Poor

Another collage - 01/04/11 05:51 PM

If I ever get caught up on these things, I'm raising the price!

The client wanted the image of her and the dog in the tunnel as the center image, but the shape of it just doesn't work for that, so I made it the "central" image by using it for the background.

The other constraints were: The tape must stay, and some of the background should stay to show where it was.

I think I'll probably still remove the pole & stitching behind her. cleaning up the junk on the right side, made a nice place for the text.

Thoughts?
Posted By: psmith

Re: Another collage - 01/04/11 07:38 PM

It is really nice, Jim. It also looks like a lot of work and that you are getting a lot of input on composition from the client. I can't imagine what the price would have to be to cover you time and your four images. I think I'd only do $500 canvases... Is this really a product that will sell at prices you are happy with?

Re: Another collage - 01/04/11 07:55 PM

I see your point and that's one of the reasons price will be changing.

I go back and fourth in my mind from "buy a collage & leave the rest to me" to "tell me exactly what you want."

This one was actually really easy. The whole thing, including three rounds of revisions took less than an hour, but others have been more "involved."

I'm going to split these into two categories.

1. Storyboard Collages
2. Custom Collages

The storyboard collages will be along these lines and come with a set number of "openings" though one of them could be used for text instead of an image:

The custom collages will be the blended / masked together type and be much more expensive.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Another collage - 01/08/11 04:27 AM

Hey Jim,

Very nicely done. I agree with Preston about the need for certain price-points in order to make these worth while - unless you are really good at them.

If you have enough business, have you considered hiring a college student to do these for you? I keep going back and forth with the idea for my proof sets.

James

Re: Another collage - 01/08/11 04:40 PM

Thanks James.

Yep, pricing these is something that I still need to work on. The old saying goes that if you're too busy, raise prices, and I think that applies here.

I don't think I'd hire someone to do my processing of these, but I am looking at hiring another person to do sales at events. We're going to run a couple tests where Tammy does it for me, but she can't do it every weekend. If it goes the way we think it will, I may offer $10-$12 per hour for someone to man the viewing / printing stations.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum