The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Valentine's Day pup

Posted By: Sunstruck

Valentine's Day pup - 02/19/11 07:06 PM

I took this pic for Valentine's Day. I just love this shot of Tiko, my husband's dog. (really both our dogs, but his like Pooh is "mine")

I am thinking of holding on to this image for a juried show in May. I would like some honest comments. As Julie found out, what judges look for are not necessarily what photographers like.

Thanks in advance!

ps. Tiko is not a white american eskimo, but a light cream one, so the white balance is not off.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/19/11 09:33 PM

Please tell me the show - is it PPA or some other competition?
I would love to comment but I would like to know your judges first.

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/19/11 10:26 PM

Hi Peggy Sue, it is a local art/photography show.

Here is a link to last year's show, this year's is not up yet. http://www.somerscultural.com/photoshow.html

This will be my first foray in to competition, so I figured I would start to collect photos for entries and go through what I consider the best, then run them by the kind folks here.

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/19/11 11:57 PM

There is an image of her on your website that I believe would have a better chance of not only entering but winning something. It is the white on white profile of her. It is a bit more art like. The image you have presented here is great for the owner (LOL - you ) which is probably why you like it.

This show want to sell or they would not take a commission from sold images. Just somewhat what your competittion is where you are entering a division of portraits. As a PPA judge I would critique this portrait differently. Thinking like the judge for this show is trying to understand where they are coming from. The art world of judging is different than people judging strickly photography.

Good luck - hope you win!!

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/20/11 12:41 PM

Is this the photo you are talking about Peggy Sue?

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/20/11 05:30 PM

YES!! This is stunning. If you need to crop, take it off the bottom.

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/20/11 06:49 PM

Thank you Peggy Sue!
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/21/11 05:36 PM

Hey PJ,

I agree with Peggy. The second shot is really quite subtle and beautiful.

James

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/21/11 10:43 PM

Thank you James.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/21/11 11:21 PM

I agree with the others, I think the white one would really stand out for competition.

Diana

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/22/11 01:51 AM

Thank you Diana!

All of the input has been so helpful. Thank you all so much.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/24/11 12:51 AM

Yep... the second one is a real beauty and something that the artsy set would gobble up. A few years back I thought I would try my hand at the international juried dog art show, Art Show at the Dog Show held in Kansas. I entered a sepia image of the back of a Trev looking at a group of sheep and an agility shot. The Terv shot was an artsy shot and the agility shot was just one of those moments that all the planets are in aline... anyway, the Terv shot got 1st place in photography and the agility shot got Best Depiction of an Obedience, Rally, or Agility Excercise . My point is, just a gorgeous portrait like the first of your shots is usually not what these juried art shows are looking for, but your second shot is pefect for this type of venue , IMHO.

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/25/11 05:23 PM

Thanks Lesley! Oh, that was your photo that you titled: The Guardian? I love that shot!
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Valentine's Day pup - 02/26/11 12:25 AM

Yes, Penny... that's the shot. Thanks.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum