The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Which do you prefer

Posted By: Jim Poor

Which do you prefer - 02/28/11 02:55 PM

Meet MACH10 plus a couple USDAA titles Syndey.

Originally, I thought the longer ribbon's should be raised, but once I looked at the result, I didn't like it.

I think if I had a slanted platform under the main platform that would have allowed the ribbons to gradually go from tall to small, I'd have liked that better.

What do you think?
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Which do you prefer - 02/28/11 05:03 PM

Top one. The second one looks funny with the two longer ribbons higher. They are behind Sydney, so you cant see the ends of the ribbons anyways.

Tall on the outsides, graduated to the shortest in the middle would have looked better. That would have framed Sydney nicely.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Which do you prefer - 03/02/11 11:15 AM

I agree with Penny. I think the Sheltie gets lost in these shots. All I see is the ribbons and the dog is an after thought. I might try it like Penny wrote, but still it is a tough one with the coloring of this dog and it's size. When I shoot MACH portraits I never compose them with the rosettes on the MACH bar unless it is draped over the bar as it is propped horizontally and low infront of dog and/or handler. Too bad there wasn't a way to have the bars hanging on the back drop and arrange the Mach ribbons low and around the dog... it would draw the eye to the dog. JMHO

Re: Which do you prefer - 03/02/11 01:45 PM

Interesting thoughts. I definitely agree that the one with the larger ribbons higher didn't work.

What I probably should have done was to use a longer (deeper) platform and have the dog more forward so she'd appear larger in the frame.

I actually prefer some of the frames where I zoomed in on the dog and didn't show all the ribbons, but I don't think the owner will go for those.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Which do you prefer - 05/02/11 01:25 PM

Agree Jim, you needed more depth so the dog was more central to the image; the Sheltie does seem to be lost in all the ribbons.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Which do you prefer - 05/03/11 04:39 PM

Sheltie? What Sheltie?
Posted By: psmith

Re: Which do you prefer - 05/03/11 04:40 PM

Jim, I would suggest trying to treat each of the round tops of the rosettes as a 'head' and pose this as a group shot. You wouldn't line up that many heads in a row. Just a suggestion.

Re: Which do you prefer - 05/03/11 11:40 PM

Thanks again guys. Definitely a few things I would do differently given the opportunity.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Which do you prefer - 05/04/11 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: psmith
Sheltie? What Sheltie?

laugh
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum