The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

More Texture

Posted By: Jim Poor

More Texture - 03/14/11 03:19 PM

This one started out on seamless paper, so it's not quite as busy as adding texture to an already textured muslin.

Still, I'm not sure if I like it:

Posted By: Julie

Re: More Texture - 03/16/11 05:04 PM

I use texture to simulate more of a painting look meant for canvas. It helps a lot to sell canvases as it goes so well. I think the texture is fine here, but, doesn't add a ton as the lighting is flat and bright.

I'm only putting this here to illustrate what I am talking about, as I am not good at explaining what I mean

Using textures needs to be done with a vision of the finished product, not just to use textures. I have tons of them and some work with a photo and many don't. I have an idea in my head usually what I am trying to do though.

I don't dislike the texture on this photo, but, I don't think it really takes it to a new level

Re: More Texture - 03/16/11 06:06 PM

Thanks.
I'm not quite at the point where I can have a purpose in mind for texture yet. I'm still playing around to get a feel for things.

I did go searching for a nice canvas texture yesterday and I think I'm leaning towards liking finer textures like sand, fabrics, etc as opposed to the more coarse patterns.

I think the thing that bugs me about this one is that the texture is unbalanced with a lot on the right and not much on the left.
Posted By: LauraJ

Re: More Texture - 03/17/11 03:53 AM

Can you make another layer of the texture and flip it horizonally and somehow blend or mask them so the sides are more equal?
Posted By: spotcat

Re: More Texture - 03/17/11 01:08 PM

I'm not sure the texture works together with the reflection; I wonder how this would look with just one of the effects applied. Great shot of the dog!

Re: More Texture - 03/17/11 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: LauraJ
Can you make another layer of the texture and flip it horizonally and somehow blend or mask them so the sides are more equal?

I could, but the simpler answer is "get a better texture file."

Re: More Texture - 03/17/11 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: spotcat
I'm not sure the texture works together with the reflection; I wonder how this would look with just one of the effects applied. Great shot of the dog!

Welcome aboard fellow Fairfaxian!

The reflection is not an effect, it's real, but I did consider what you're saying when I started playing with these.

I think the reflection looks good / natural on textures like marble, granite etc that are stones with a reflective surface - not so good on fabric textures and other obviously non-reflective materials.

I may start masking out the texture on the "floor" in some cases as things move along.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: More Texture - 05/01/11 01:57 PM

aside from the background which is the point of the post, i would say that a dominating pose should be shot to accentuate that pose. you needed to shoot that slightly below the eye level. Look at julie's shot, that is a submissive pose, shot to accentuate the submissiveness of the pet - by accident or by planning - it makes no difference. With dominance you need to shoot it below the eye level . . . it's not about making the pet look mean, it's about giving justice to the animals stature . . . if you get off the eye axes, just slightly, you will gather more emotion and more life, and begin to tell a story about an animal . . . Nice exposure and i like the color, the background and the glass reflection!

Re: More Texture - 05/01/11 04:07 PM

Thanks Tony.

You make good points about dominant/submissive posing, but I'm curious why in this pose makes you think it is "dominant." That big goofy grin certainly isn't laugh
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum