The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Learning B&W conversions

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Learning B&W conversions - 05/10/11 08:08 PM

Everybody knows the canyon in question....lol.

I have been learning B&W conversions starting with a class from Vincent Versace. This is just a straight conversion. Not Ansel Adams level of fine tuning. From an old P&S picture in the canyon.

For a straight conversion, what do you think?

Roman
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/10/11 10:03 PM

I'm not one for B/W images, but I do like this one.

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/11/11 02:47 PM

Thanks Marie. I usually prefer color shots of the Canyon, but I have to say B&W gives it quite a different feel.

Roman
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/11/11 04:02 PM

This is a lovely image to present in B&W. Since I adore good black and white, this one seems to abstract the typical way we view this site of warmth.

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/12/11 02:45 PM

Thanks Peggysue! I am finding that the sandstone lends itself well to B&W treatment.

Roman
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/12/11 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
Thanks Peggysue! I am finding that the sandstone lends itself well to B&W treatment.

Roman

Definately, the tonal range is awesome!
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/17/11 05:20 PM

I like the way the shadows play on the walls adds a bit of mystery as to what may be up ahead.

Nice job Roman

Don
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/18/11 02:24 AM

This is very nice Roman. I love the textures, angles and lighting that you captured. A little dodging and burning to highlight some areas and textures will make this photo pop.

Nik has some awesome software for B&W photos- Silver Effex Pro 2. I absolutely love it. The presets are great, and every one is customizable.

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/18/11 07:16 PM

Thanks everyone.

Penny, Silver Effects Pro is part of the conversion (The last part in a very lengthy action.) the end files are several gigs in size, but all the pieces make sense. The action has a ton of stopping points to make adjustments.

Roman
Posted By: daveman

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/23/11 02:01 PM

Interesting. I like BW for those canyons because it is so much different.

What the heck Roman? You came to Arizona and shot Antelope Canyon and didn't get ahold of me? Next time let me know when you are are around and let's shoot together!

Dave

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/23/11 02:17 PM

LOL, Dave, this is a picture from 2003 using my little Nikon P&S. That was back in the day when they actually had photographic tours in AC. I plan on coming back soon, but may be later this year or as late as next spring. Will keep you in mind....no worries. smile

Roman
Posted By: daveman

Re: Learning B&W conversions - 05/23/11 02:42 PM

Funny - ok - you are off the hook!

Great - looking forward to it!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum