The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Orcas How

Posted By: Greg D

Orcas How - 06/29/11 06:38 AM

Hi I am new to the forum,

I am an amateur but I have sold a few pictures in my day and I have work in actual print books.

I have always needed to work on composition and I have hit a wall with Orca pictures, I just can't make them sit how I want them to sit.

I know part of it is that the weather/light is wrong but I am trying to discover what I am doing wrong so I can try to frame shots better in the camera in the future.

I personally love this type of shot but that is because I geek out on seeing the face below the water, that goes away at any realistic web resolution.

The wider action shot is nice but it seems that here in the Pacific North West I never have good skies. You can't legally approach these whales, nor would I want to harass them but they do decide they want to fish right where you are from time to time.

If you get in too tight these black critters lose shape.

I keep hoping for a close breach or salmon toss but all of those are pretty rough looking, but for normal activity does anyone have any composition tips?

Thanks,

Greg
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Orcas How - 06/29/11 08:27 PM

Hey Greg,

This must have been really awesome to see in the flesh. Of the photos, the second, with the city skyline in the background, is my favorite. I think the composition is the most interesting.

James
Posted By: Greg D

Re: Orcas How - 06/30/11 12:21 AM

Thanks,

They are great to see, I have lots of interesting shots, just no great ones, I will try to add more of the landscape in my shots in the future.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Orcas How - 06/30/11 12:28 PM

Hey Greg,

That is great. We are always happy to add new faces here. BTW, these are the first wild orca shots that haveever been posted at NWP (to my knowledge) - so that is pretty cool!

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum