The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Forum Challenge - Water

Posted By: James Morrissey

Forum Challenge - Water - 07/01/11 03:40 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thought it would be fun to have a forum challenge each month. This month's challenge will be a photograph with water. It can be Nature, Wildlife or Pet. Have a blast!

Cheers
James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/01/11 01:06 PM

Perfect timing. Sounds like fun!!!! I am going to Opal Creek tomorrow.

Roman
Posted By: keechbw

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 12:46 AM

How do I post a photo for the Challenge - Water? Sorry I've never been on to do anything other than read a few postings.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 12:58 AM

Hi and welcome!

Let me ask, do you have your own website or file sharinf service, such as smugmug?

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 02:09 PM

Hey Peggy,

Thanks for contributing first. Nicely done!! I am working on mine this weekenc, but I am still not sure what to do yet - animal, plant or mineral.

James
Posted By: daveman

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 03:18 PM

Cool shot PeggySue!

Hey - James - I think you should offer a D7000 to the winner.... How about it everyone - don't you think James should offer a D7000 to the winner???

laugh

Here is my shot at that new D7000.... in the mineral category

Strange - Zenfolio seems to be automatically putting the watermark on. I cannot get rid of it, and it is not on my original photo. Sorry.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 04:28 PM

James,
just so I understand the rules of the challenge, we can only post images that we take for the challenge or can we post images from our archives that match the theme?

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 04:36 PM

Thanks James. With the heat here this weekend the kiddie pool looks really good to me!
Multiple entries welcome?

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 04:38 PM

Great image Dave. Looks like something a movie could be built around.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 06:11 PM

Hey Everyone,

Good questions.

(1) Sure, multiple entries should be fine. The purpose of this is to have fun...
(2) My personal opinion is that I think the photo should be taken during the challenge period if possible. LOL, I am not looking at time/date stamping. I just think it is fun to go out and make a challenge out of it. :P Thoughts? Do we want to keep it to the challenge period?

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 06:12 PM

Hey Dave,

Beautiful photograph! LOL, can we make it so that someone buys ME a D7000?????????

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 06:20 PM

oh man - I was really looking forward to that D7000. You know I NEEED a D7000!.

My photo is from my archives - so I am removing is from the contest. Sorry about that.

I will see if I can take something to enter!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 06:31 PM

I am with Dave, I went back to previous shooting to get an image. That kind of got my wheels turning to what water would I like to shoot today. With todays heat I think I am going to shoot some ice cubes. smile
Posted By: Donna Kelliher

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 08:02 PM

so how do we post to this contest??????

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/02/11 10:13 PM

James,
although I have a few I'd love to enter from the archives, I agree that using the theme to inspire a new shoot was the whole idea of the challenge. So, yes, I agree that entries should be limited to those created during the challenge period.

Jim

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/03/11 03:25 AM

Hi Donna,

Posts arw done like any other at NWP. They need to be embedded - either through your own website or service (such as flickr or smugmug).

James
Posted By: psmith

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/03/11 05:56 PM

I'd vote for using whatever you have originally created, from your archives or from a new photograph. The might be some old stuff on film that someone would like to share, etc.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/04/11 02:05 PM

Looks like most folks are shooting from the archives. For the purpose of this 'starter challenge,' let us agree that anything goes. This is meant to be fun, after-all. Having said that, do we want to make the rules a bit stricter going forward? LOL, what I I offer to buy Dave a D7000??? LOL...not really, but I like the idea of a challenge meaning you have to go out and work on it. Having said that, I will bow to the pressures if everyone likes going through the back-catalog.

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/04/11 02:08 PM

My stab at water. I realize that it is a cityscape in the background - but it is what I have to work with here in the City. It was taken yesterday morning at sunrise before the rain started hitting. It is a 5 shot pano that was cropped down. Looking at it on the screen, looks like it could use a bit of Roman's pp skills. frown

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/04/11 02:47 PM

Quote:
The might be some old stuff on film that someone would like to share, etc.

Film? Think of all those dead silver halides!

I'm for shooting it fresh. I have a lot of stuff that would be appropriate but the idea of doing something new just for the challenge appeals to me. I thought the whole idea of these challenges was to stretch our vision not necessarily to show what we've done previously. JMHO.

Jim
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/05/11 02:20 PM

A photographer friend of mine and I recently hiked into the Virgin Falls Naural Area (about 8 miles roundtrip) to photograph some of the many waterfalls in the area. Having experienced an extended rainy period, the creeks were full and the falls were raging. The entire trek into and out of the park was wet and misty and we got soaked! This is far more water than I have seen in any other photos of these falls. I was expecting a heavy trickle, at best.

Big Laurel Falls in the Virgin Falls Natural Area (Tennessee)
This 25 foot fall is one of many in the area that pours over a bluff and then disappears into a cave or sinkhole, rather than continuing as a stream.

Virgin Falls
Virgin Falls is about 120 feet high and as shown in the photograph ends by disappearing underground. What is not shown is that before pouring over the cliff, the creek emerges from a cave and is only above ground for a brief moment before resuming its underground path.
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/05/11 09:47 PM

Your top image is just stunning Durwood!
Posted By: David G

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 01:36 AM

Fascinating that there is no pool at the base of that one, even with all of that water.
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 03:57 AM

Upper Falls at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone taken May 25, 2011

Don

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 05:53 PM

Well, not a recent one (From last fall) so don't include it in the actual judging, but just wanted to play.

Great entries so far!

Roman
Posted By: Diane

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 09:40 PM

Admittedly, I didn't shoot this for this thread, but I think it's one of the best water images I've taken. It's a rock at the bottom of Sipi Falls, Uganda, taken this past February. Love this thread!!!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 11:23 PM

Wow, really great image, Diane. Excellent capture and post-processing.

Jim

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/06/11 11:27 PM

Quote:
The might be some old stuff on film that someone would like to share, etc.

Preston, you got me thinking. During the move, I uncovered all my old transparencies and negatives from back in the film days including a bunch of medium-format stuff. And here, I actually know where they all are for a change smile. So, I'm thinking I'm going to pick up that Epson V500 scanner that's being discounted so much on EBay and finally digitize all those old images. Maybe I'll find some images there to post for this challenge.

Jim
Posted By: glamson

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 02:33 AM

This is from a while back, but it is the first image I think of when I think water shot.

Posted By: Diane

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 11:21 AM

Thanks, Jim!! Like most of my images from Uganda, they were a struggle to take. I didn't even realize I had this shot until I got home, and my sister saw it and did a "wow!" dance. smile
Posted By: EBSharrett

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 12:42 PM

Water? Just enough in this location to give a bit of reflection. Trying to make this work without bringing up my whole website. http://www.ebsimages.com/-/ebsimages/gallery.asp?LID=&photoID=11940065&cat=102884

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 01:15 PM

Hey Everyone,

Keep up the great images. This weekend, I hope to be able to do something a bit more nature-y. LOL, it is hard in the urban jungle. :P

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 02:33 PM

One of my favorites from the archives. Need to shoot something new and something different for submission but I like this one and wanted to share it.

Jim

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 02:35 PM

Hey Jim, now THAT'S a water shot.

Roman

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 04:12 PM

Thanks Roman. Wish it had been in the wild but it was at Sea World. I think she liked me smile.

Jim
Posted By: russell

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 04:40 PM

A couple from a recent week at Golden Trout Camp Workshop in Cottonwood Lakes area of Sierra.

Lots of running water:
[img:center]https://www.me.com/gallery/#100198/GTC_2011-1540-Edit[/img]

Lots of still water (snow and ice):
[img:center]https://www.me.com/gallery/#100198/GTC_2011-2148-Edit[/img]

russell

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 04:42 PM

Looks like I've mucked up the image links...I'll put them on another server and try again.
russell

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/07/11 04:47 PM

Lots of running water:

Lots of still water (snow and ice):

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/08/11 03:40 PM

One more from the archives: I believe this is what is meant by getting your ducks in a row smile.

Enjoy,

Jim

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/08/11 08:31 PM

Hey Jim,

That's very nice. Nature makes such amazing patterns!

Russell, really like that b&w!

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/08/11 10:56 PM

Here is one from a month or so back dealing with the states of water.

Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/09/11 03:29 AM

This will give you an idea of the flooding we are having here in Iowa and Nebraska.
First pic is looking northwest toward the north end of Eppley Airfield in Omaha.
Second is looking south toward Council Bluffs that is Interstate 29 under water.
All were taken from the Lewis & Clark Monument overlook on the north side of Council Bluffs. Sorry the first is kind of blown out I was looking into the setting sun.

Don

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/09/11 02:12 PM

Love this one!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/09/11 02:14 PM

I was referring to Lamson's "States of Water" photo.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/10/11 12:08 AM

Geo,
I love this one, too.

Jim
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/11/11 04:05 AM

I have trouble, choosing...

Posted By: Greg D

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/13/11 09:38 AM

Lots of great images in this thread people, I am glad you shared them.

I wanted to scan in some of my old 4x5 work, but that failed because my scanner only supports 35mm so I picked a random flickr image with water in "bokah"

A Tundra Swan

Greg

Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/13/11 10:00 AM

Wow, going through all the pages, these are all wonderful images! So fun to look through and try to imagine how they were taken.

Well, here is my contribution, a waterfall called Kilgore Waterfall in Rocks State Park, Maryland. Even had it published: Rocks State Park

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/13/11 07:09 PM

Hey Marie and Greg,

Great stuff!!! This has really been a huge success! LOL, now I just need to get my stuff up. frown

James
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/13/11 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hey Marie and Greg,

Great stuff!!! This has really been a huge success! LOL, now I just need to get my stuff up. frown

James

We're waiting...... smile

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/14/11 12:54 AM

I know you've seen it before, but it's really all about water.

Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/14/11 03:41 AM

Hah, Nice George!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/15/11 12:54 PM

Hey George,

From which trail did you shoot this from? I have never gotten a shot from that angle.

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/15/11 01:41 PM

Hey George,

From which trail did you shoot this from? I have never gotten a shot from that angle.

James

James,

This one was taken about 2/3 of the way down Uncle Tom's trail on the south side of the canyon.

Posted By: Tyler

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/16/11 04:24 PM

I have an old photo I took with a disposable camera from there when I was 10, my first time going to Yellowstone. Your photo reminded me how much I loved that trip thru the park as a kid. Getting that close to the falls was amazing.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/16/11 04:33 PM

My submission to the Water photo challenge.

Water Buffalo

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/17/11 07:40 PM

LOL, Tyler, I think that's cheating!!

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/17/11 07:44 PM

Hey Everyone,

Here are my most recent additions. I took them last weekend in Rhode Island. Chanthee and I were able to steal away to Jamestown for sunset. We went to Beavertail State Park. It is not, perhaps, the pretties light house in the world, but it gets the job done. The sunset, which was OK, was on the edge of being amazing...sigh...just not quite. LOL, next time.

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/17/11 07:46 PM

BTW, I think I will close out the thread next weekend (probably next Monday) and make a poll for us to be able to vote on the photographs. LOL - who will get bragging rights??

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/17/11 10:03 PM

I know you're thinking this probably isn't the right forum for this shot, but Dudes, this is water at it's wildest.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/18/11 12:00 AM

Hey George,

OK - how'd you get the angle on this??

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/18/11 12:06 AM

Hey George,

OK - how'd you get the angle on this??

James

Well I could tell you that I was out on my board in the surf with my waterproof case, but unfortunately I don't have a waterproof case. I shot this from the beach almost at water level with my 500mm Nikkor.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/18/11 09:07 PM

The monthly challenge finally forced me to visit my old stomping grounds and one of my favorite places, the Shingle Creek Trail. Shingle Creek and its surrounding wetlands are part of the estuary system that forms the headwaters to the Everglades. With the recent last-afternoon thunder storms we've having, the Creek is high and the wetlands are flowing with water and teaming with life.

As I started my walk, I noticed evidence of a recent fishing effort along the Creek. While there is no water actually in this image, the presence of water is clearly implied.

Farther along the trail, I spotted a couple of Ibis feeding on the far side of the stream.

And then I heard some rustling behind me and turned to spot a Tri-colored Heron walking through the underbrush.

When I arrived at one of the bridges, I noticed a Great White Heron sitting on one of the Cypress trees, a Sentinel over the stream.

As I was shooting The Sentinel, I heard a loud slither/splash from just behind and to the right of me. I never saw what caused it but you can bet it got my attention smile. On my way back to the car, I spotted one more wading bird, a Little Blue Heron.

One hour of my time walking my favorite trail and so many opportunities for wildlife photos! I've missed my special place. It was great to be back there.

Jim
Posted By: LauraJ

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/19/11 01:26 AM

My contribution. Missouri River flood pictures from July 2

Leavenworth, Ks

Weston, Mo

The Iatan Power Plant north of Weston. Two pontoon boats shuttled the workers to and from

These were hand held frown

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/19/11 09:23 AM

James, I think the image of Mahkayla is beautiful. She is such a lovely girl!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/20/11 12:31 PM

Thanks, Peggy! LOL, Chanthee and I adore her. Honestly, I never really wanted a dog (having been historically a 'cat' person) but I cannot imagine myself not having her in my life. She has 'exceeded expectations.'

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/23/11 01:28 AM

Jim, I love the first one you have of the Blue Heron. They have the same shape as the ones here in the NW, but ours are a much paler blue on most of their body. They are one of my favorite animals.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/23/11 01:47 PM

Tyler,
I think that's a Tri-colored Heron and the one after that is a Little Blue Heron. The GBH is much larger. Here's a shot of one in flight.

I find the coloration of the Great Blue Heron to be much more grey/silver than blue but the size difference is major. The GBH is much bigger than either the Tri-colored or Little Blue.

Jim

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/23/11 08:12 PM

Jim is right on with his heron IDs. The Great Blue is definitely the largest heron in the western hemisphere. However, there is a larger one on the planet called the Goliath Heron (for obvious reasons) that makes the GBH look small. Here are a couple of shots of one I caught in Botswana. The wingspan is a good 8'.

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/23/11 11:14 PM

Geo,
he looks to be about the size of a Sand Hill Crane! Wow. Cool capture.

Jim
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/24/11 04:47 PM

It's hard to find a descent water shot around San Antonio with the extreme drought. Last weekends walk down on the riverwalk gave me this image.

[img:center]http://www.flickr.com/photos/19083569@N02/5970837174/in/photostream/lightbox/[/img]

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/24/11 05:32 PM

Take two... Newbie error on the url.

[img:center]http://flic.kr/p/a6C6Sw[/img]

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/25/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: FretlessD
Take two... Newbie error on the url.

[img:center]http://flic.kr/p/a6C6Sw[/img]

Doug,

Sorry but you can't embed Flickr shots on this site using the [img] tag. It only works with the image file itself and Flickr prevents you from getting to that nowadays. It's one of the reasons I use Zenfolio for images I might want to use elsewhere.

Re: The Pacific Ocean counts as water right? - 07/25/11 06:26 AM

It's the first time I've had any free time in 3 weeks and the weather was supposed to be great. In typical Oregon Coast style, however, nothing but gray skies, even with it being 80F laugh I trusted my light meter and didn't check my shots until getting home. The one out of 60 photos I got lazy on and "over-exposed" at the coast ended up being the only one with the right exposure. I can probably salvage some of the others when I have more time to work with them. Anyways

Cape Maeres, Oregon

Re: The Pacific Ocean counts as water right? - 07/25/11 09:38 PM

One last submission: the sheer joy of getting splashed! Here's Alexis.

Jim

Contest is closed... - 07/26/11 03:01 AM

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to all who have participated. This has been awesome. For those of you who have submitted multiple images (myself included), is it too much to ask that we each narrow it down to a favorite?

Thanks
James

Vote! - 07/28/11 06:49 PM

Hey Guys,

I am going to be putting up a poll by this weekend for the photos. It would be ideal if we can narrow down the multiple entries. If not, since this is a 'friendly contest' and our first one ever, I will just let it go as it stands.

So, if you entered multiple entries, please narrow your choices down to one. For example, I am going with my shot of Mahkayla on the water. Easy call.

James

Re: Vote! - 07/29/11 03:31 PM

I prefer the Water Buffalo shot, but if it doesn't count, than by default the Cape Maeres shot.

Re: Vote! - 07/29/11 09:39 PM

Thanks, Tyler. Not sure we are seeing much traction (or detraction) on this. I will make a poll vote to coincide with the next newsletter.

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 07/31/11 11:27 PM

George, Thanks for the help. I opened an account at Zenfolio. Here is my water photo. We are really hurting for any water at all. We can not even get a tropical storm to work on our behalf.

Doug

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/02/11 02:47 AM

Hey Doug,

Thanks for sharing - great photo! Unfortunately, it is too late to enter new submissions. We are going to be starting a new contest imminently though - winner gets to pick the challenge!

James

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/02/11 03:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

The Winner of this month's challenge (to be determined within 7 days from today) will win bragging rights in two areas. The first is that they will be able to pick the next photo challenge from our list, and the second is that they will win a NWP Photo Forum T-Shirt!

Thanks to everyone who participated in this. I think that the great response is proof on how much fun it was!

Cheers
James

Water Challenge Winner - 08/09/11 03:55 AM

Congrats to Daveman for winning the first Forum Challenge! As the winner of this first challenge:

1. David gets to pick the next forum challenge theme. The challenge themes currently on the table are located:
http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35880#Post35880

2. Dave gets a totally awesome NWP Photo Forum T-Shirt.

James

Re: Water Challenge Winner - 08/09/11 12:39 PM

Congratulations, Dave. Great image. Can't wait for the new challenge.

Jim

Re: Water Challenge Winner - 08/09/11 09:24 PM

Congratulations Dave!

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/10/11 01:20 PM

Good job David!! You had my vote. :~)

Looking forward to your choice of topic, as well as maybe a pic of you in your new T-Shirt.

Roman

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/10/11 02:20 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone - I will certainly post a photo of me in my new NWP "T" shirt!.

I like the topic:

Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood

I think this will help us focus on the beauty in our own backyard, and I expect we will see things from a difference perspective since we need to stay close to home.

Looking forward to seeing the entries!
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/22/11 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
Well, not a recent one (From last fall) so don't include it in the actual judging, but just wanted to play.

Great entries so far!

Roman

Just catching up on the forum, and just starting through the water challenge. Loving all the entries so far but man Roman, this one I'd love to hang on my wall. smile
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/22/11 06:20 AM

Aaack! what's up with the new slider window?? wink

Re: Forum Challenge - Water - 08/22/11 01:27 PM

Diana, thank you so much....and as for hanging one on your wall....I do sell my work....so it's not imposable...lol. wink

Roman
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum