The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Cat on the ledge.

Posted By: FretlessD

Cat on the ledge. - 07/02/11 03:52 AM

Greetings (with my first post),

I have enjoyed lurking and viewing all of you great images. Time to put one out there for critique.

Thanks, Doug

[img]www.pbase.com/fretlessd/image/136051984[/img]
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Cat on the ledge. - 07/04/11 12:52 AM

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your photo of the cat. This is a tough exposure and you did really well on it. The cat's eyes are a tad darker than I would like, but that can be handled pp, I think. Otherwise that is a hard exposure to pull off and I think you did a nice job with it given how bright the background is.

As to the composition, I generally like it. However, and please take this the right way since this is your very first photograph that you are sharing in the forum, but I have a hard time figuring out what the story you are sharing in the picture is. For example, if the cat was looking directly at the camera, I would call it a very nice portrait. Since the cat though is focused on something else, I am wondering if the composition is congruent with what the cat was looking at.

Anyway, hope that helps - and welcome again to the community.

Sincerely,
James
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Cat on the ledge. - 07/06/11 12:02 AM

James,
Thanks for the critique. I do agree with you about where the cat is looking. I happened upon her as I was walking down the riverwalk. As I approached her, with each step, I wasn't sure when she was going to move away. She was looking at my feet and as the shutter clicked, she did move away.

As you can see, I am an amateur who has finally gone digital after a 7 year layoff of shooting film. (Funny how life get's in the way sometimes.) Going digital, is going back to school.
I appreciate the forum discussions and the knowledge gleaned.

Doug
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum