The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood

Posted By: James Morrissey

Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/10/11 03:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

This one is going to be a tough one (LOL, at least for me). This challenge, will close its doors on August 31st at 11:59 PM. As I believe we discussed in the thread earlier, this photo needs to be taken within 10 (TEN) miles of your home. LOL, don't make us geo-tag you.

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/10/11 03:18 PM

Heck, that's all I've been shooting for the past few weeks smile. OK, are we limited to one submission and does it need to be shot specifically for this competition?

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/10/11 04:20 PM

Good question. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that we should keep the rules the same as last month. If this grows and we get more people participating (versus just viewing) then we can make it more strict. So, I guess the answer is- let us go out and have some fun with this. Multiple images are allowed for the time being. Ultimately, I think people just pick one anyway. :P

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/10/11 07:35 PM

Ok, not sure about this. Does the shot have to be taken during the time of the contest, or can we put older shots in?

I personally would like to keep one shot ONLY as it was tough to vote last time as I would have voted for one shot, but as a group, I couldn't identify what specifically voted for. That affected seriously what I voted for last time. I think the results would have been differently as some of the multiple shots given were placed by one photographer ranged wildly as to whether I would have voted for it or not.

So I strongly suggest one single shot per participant.....and will await your ruling on whether the shot has to be taken DURING the contest period or any shot can be entered.

Roman

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Good question. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that we should keep the rules the same as last month. If this grows and we get more people participating (versus just viewing) then we can make it more strict. So, I guess the answer is- let us go out and have some fun with this. Multiple images are allowed for the time being. Ultimately, I think people just pick one anyway. :P

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/10/11 08:23 PM

Hey Roman,

Let's, for this month, keep it as is. Multiple entries and photos can be fron any time period. I think the most important piece that I am looking for is participation. The last month's thread was awesome - with lots of photos and lots of participation.

I 100% agree with you though. Ideally, photos should be taken during the challenge period and it should be limited to one photograph going forward. Why don't we make that the target of the September challenge?

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 12:53 AM

Roman,
that was my question but, based on James's answer I submitted a photo taken 2 days ago -- still well within the "August" interval. But, personally, I feel stuff should be shot exclusively for the challenge and within the timeframe of the challenge. But, I don't make the rules smile.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 04:04 AM

LOL, OK. So - Jim - the main reason why I decided to hold things as they are is because you already submitted a photo. If you feel strongly - then I am comfortable with making the photo occur only within the time period of the contest. It certainly is what a challenge means to me...and was something I was in fundamental agreement with Roman on.

OK. So - shall we agree? The photo must come within the time period of the contest??

Thanks
James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 01:44 PM

Cool, now all we need to agree upon is only one entry. I do not want the multi entry issue I had voting last time. I had one person with multiple entries. I liked one of them but not the others, and I would not place my vote for them because I didn't want the vote represented by the wrong photo.

Roman
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 02:10 PM

Shoot, I guess Roman will know if I'm cheating blush Seriously though, I love this months concept.
Posted By: daveman

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 02:40 PM

I agree that I think it should be one photo only, for the reasons Roman described. My preference is the shot be taken during the contest but I understand that would limit participation.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 02:52 PM

I agree with what everyone here has said and I've deleted my entry. Fortunately, that vine is in my own back yard and I can shoot it any time smile. But I completely agree that images should be shot specifically for the challenge, during the challenge period, and you should pick your single best image for submission. That doesn't mean we can't shoot a whole bunch of different stuff but we ultimately have to decide which is the best image to reflect the theme of the challenge.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/11/11 03:49 PM

OK. So we are all square then on the rules. Let the games begin (LOL, of course, for me it will have to wait until I get back from Montana).

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/22/11 01:29 PM

I will go shooting in my neighborhood hopefully this week. I have a park a few blocks away I might take advantage of.

Roman

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/24/11 06:47 AM

Same. Hopefully I choose a different park than you, lol. Just got back from spending a week at my uncles ranch in Terrebonne too. Finally saw Smith Rock and think I got a beautiful shot of Monkey Face at sunset, but I haven't pulled em off my camera yet.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/26/11 04:59 AM

I am moderately concerned that hurricane Irene is going to crimp my style!

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/26/11 03:31 PM

James,
good luck. Folks are usually wishing that for us in Florida but Irene is sitting off of Jacksonville right now and we're only getting some of the outlying bands for showers and winds. On the other hand, our mommy-to-be, Juneau, seems almost ready to begin her whelping activities so this weekend will be busy for us even if we're not dodging another hurricane. It would be nice to get through this without losing power -- a definite possibility earlier in the week. Hope she decides to turn East and miss both NYC and New England (my sister lives in CT).

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/26/11 07:48 PM

Hey Jim,

Seems like you have a Natural Wonder occurring in your back yard. :P I hope that we get lots of Juneau picks.

Anyway, not sure what will happen tomorrow/Sunday. Honestly, I am not that worried. I do know that the subways will be down as of 12 noon tomorrow.

LOL, I DO want to have a photo for the contest!! I got nothing so far. I was in Glacier last week and I had a shoot this week - so no time to actually do something for the forum.

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/28/11 08:13 PM

Ok, this park is about one mile from my home, just went there this morning and spent about an hour there. I will post a seperate post with several shots from the park, but here is my entry.

Look forward to seeing the other entries.

Roman
Posted By: Kerri

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/29/11 11:47 AM

Here is my entry smile.

My children and I found four monarch caterpillars and are caring for them until they change into butterflies then releasing them. This shot is of the first one several hours after she emerged and about an hour before she flew away.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/29/11 04:51 PM

Well, I've accumulated a number of potential entries but this one arrived last night by special delivery in the form of our latest litter. Five puppies, 3 boys and 2 girls. Mom is Juneau (Ch Annihaus Midnight Sun) and dad is Max (Ch Beachwalker Rowdy To The Max). There will be more photos as the puppies grow and develop but this shot truly reflects, to me, the theme of the August Challenge: Natural Wonders In Your Neighborhood. Here is Mr. Blue Boy.

Enjoy,

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/29/11 09:00 PM

Went for a dog walk this morning in the Forest Preserve (next to my home smile ) and took camera with newest lens. Like Jim challenges himself with a fixed lens, I was determined not to rely on zoom. Knowing that the forest preserve is not really alot of forest, actually it is mostly prairie, I am usually stumped for the lack of magesty you mountain range people have around you. But, this is August and prairie flowers are in full bloom and on horseback they look like english gardens.

So from the flatland of Illinois, here is my entry. (okay, the thistle is not what I should be showing to advertise the prairie but I could not help since there were four insects fighting over this one blooming weed! (what is a weed a anyway? )

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 12:14 AM

Great to see some entries!

I am not sure I am going to be able to participate this month. We are having an unusual heat wave the past couple of weeks - it is 111 degrees as I type this at 5:00pm.

I am not photographer enough to be schlepping my equipment around the neighborhood when it is over 110. I guess I am a wimp.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 03:07 AM

LOL, Dave, don't worry. BTW, your shirt is ordered. Sorry for the delay, it just took me a bit to get it done!

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 03:11 AM

Hey Everyone,

Beautiful submissions from everyone. Really nice so far!

Here is mine. It was taken tonight after work:

Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 05:19 AM

Upper Canyon Viewed From Gobblers Knob,
Big Cottonwood Canyon, Wasatch Front Utah
Aug 2011

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 11:53 AM

Schlepp it in the morning, schlepp it in the evening and avoid the mid day like the plague. smile

Originally Posted By: daveman
Great to see some entries!

I am not sure I am going to be able to participate this month. We are having an unusual heat wave the past couple of weeks - it is 111 degrees as I type this at 5:00pm.

I am not photographer enough to be schlepping my equipment around the neighborhood when it is over 110. I guess I am a wimp.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 08/30/11 07:52 PM

[quote=RomanJohnston]Schlepp it in the morning, schlepp it in the evening and avoid the mid day like the plague. smile

Amen to that - though I completely hear Dave's point. When Chanthee and I were in Vegas visiting Steve (going for a wedding), it was 108F on the Vegas Floor. It was pretty ugly. Having said that, I now carry the Oly Pen for that very reason. It allows me to have a camera at all times. It does not replace my 5dii, but it is nice to have around.

James
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/01/11 02:59 AM

It's been too hot to get out here in San Antonio. Most of our natural wonders (river, bat cave, and such) have all been decimated by the drought. We are loosing our wildlife. The cattle industry will be changed for decades to come.

This is a chameleon shot it the front flower bed. He had just leaped up to drink the water on the hibiscus.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/01/11 04:08 AM

Hey Everyone,

The Contest is now locked. I will put together a poll tomorrow when I publish the newsletter.

Thanks to all who participated. This was hard for me and I am really pleased with what I got (given both the time constraints and my limit to what I consider 'nature' in NYC).

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/02/11 01:15 PM

James,
how do you vote in the poll?

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/02/11 04:32 PM

Hey Jim,

I am having a format issue for some problem. It worked fine last month. Sigh. I will do my best to get it running ASAP.

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/02/11 05:51 PM

OK - Let's try this now. Ideally, I would not want anyone to be able to see the poll results until this is over, however, there seems to be a glitch. By changing it, at least we can get it started.

Cheers
James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 03:36 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just under an hour to go!!

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 03:54 PM

Call me psychic...but I think I might know who the winner is.

Roman

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 05:05 PM

Hey Roman,

LOL - yes. Those of us who voted knew how they were going. I actually did not mind that. I was surprised to see so many 'late' votes that came in about two days ago.

Having said that - Congratulations to Kerri, who gets to pick the next challenge and also will get a new T-Shirt. LOL, I still need to send out Davids, so I may be doing a Two-fer.

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 06:03 PM

Roman,
you're psychic.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 07:07 PM

Congratulations, Kerri. While you're thinking about the theme for the next challenge, you might consider Rottweiler Puppies smile. I'm just sayin'!

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 09:59 PM

Maybe you could tell us what one Kerri will pick for the next challenge!

Congrats Kerri.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 10:14 PM

Congrats Kerri!!! I liked your butterfly photo - nice comp.

I think the next topic should be desert cactus - or desert southwest.... smile

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 10:20 PM

Hey Dave,

The problem with doing a place is that we all cannot get there during the challenge period. frown

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/09/11 11:53 PM

Oh, sure, and I suppose you're going to apply the same sort of logic to Rottweiler Puppies grin. Agree that it needs to be something everyone has a shot at capturing. Especially if we maintain the "rules" as they were for the last month's competition. Looking forward to what Kerri comes up with. Soon. Yo, Kerri, it's already September smile.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/11/11 11:41 AM

Thank you smile. I haven't been on the forum in a couple of days so I'm just seeing this now. I'll choose a theme asap.

Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
While you're thinking about the theme for the next challenge, you might consider Rottweiler Puppies smile. I'm just sayin'!

Jim

I was actually thinking of a dog theme because national dog week starts on the 18th of this month. Maybe it should be more of a nature/wildlife theme though?

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/11/11 02:49 PM

1. Kerri, FYI, I sent you a PM about tshirt size and address.

2. As to is it ok for a dog theme - I defer to the group - i ideally like something everyone can participate in. However, w that consideration, I am fine with it.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/11/11 03:48 PM

Kerri,
despite the built-in advantages of having a litter of 2-week old Rottie puppies, I have to agree with James that dogs might be a bit restrictive. On the other hand, it's your choice. And this is the Nature, Wildlife and Pet Forum. So any of those topics are fair game IMHO smile.

Jim
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/11/11 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey

2. As to is it ok for a dog theme - I defer to the group - i ideally like something everyone can participate in. However, w that consideration, I am fine with it.

Although the recent passing of our beloved Border Collie "Bandit" leaves our home depressingly empty of canine companionship, I don't feel a dog related challenge would present an insurmountable obstacle to forum members.

Between friends and neighbors, the dog park down the street, the Humane Society & various other shelters, not to mention the multitude of dogs one encounters on the street every day, I would be hard pressed to think of anyone who doesn't have the opportunity for daily contact with dogs.

I know that our local Humane Society is real responsive to folks who walk in and ask, "Do you have any dogs that need walking today?", even if you are not adopting.

I say that if Kerri would like a dog related challenge, go for it!

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/11/11 09:19 PM

I agree with Jim. Most everyone has access to a pet or a neighbor's pet. That would give me an excuse to try some shots of our snarky little beagle... (when he is not sneaking stuff out of my trash can - his favorite activity)
Posted By: PamSam

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/12/11 02:21 AM

smile Hi! I am new to this and would like to join the challenges each month. Where do I begin? I've only read some posts and glanced at a few photos. I am an amateur photographer going to school for photography, trying to get my foot in the door.
Thanks! smile

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/12/11 01:34 PM

OK, Kerri, the month is well-underway. Time to pick a topic so we can figure out when to shoot it. Personally, I think Washington State landscapes would be a bit restrictive but I understand if Roman would like it smile.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/12/11 03:22 PM

Washington State landscapes might be easier for me than a dog photo laugh

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/12/11 08:17 PM

So far, Roman has not added his comments to the mix. I am inclined to go with Kerri being able to make the topic 'dogs.' She is, after all, the winner of the contest. I would like Roman's feedback though, as I trust his judgment as well.

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/13/11 01:40 PM

Sorry bout that, shooting an outdoor wedding in 97 degree weather this weekend, and wasn't feeling good Sunday.

Some of us only have cats. Might suggest to keep things very generic to restrict people the least. Maybe pets in general, not restricting to dogs only. I think the more generic the topic, the better. Starry Nights, Pets, different TYPES of shooting, etc. The beauty around us....like the last topic...all can participate in as there truly is beauty everywhere. So I am of the mindset, lets try and keep it as open as possible to keep participation at its maximum.

Roman

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/13/11 03:03 PM

I totally agree with Roman. I trust everyone understands that I was only kidding about "Rottweilers" or "dogs" as themes. I agree that keeping the theme as broad as possible is the best way to ensure maximum participation -- which I believe is the objective of these challenges.

Roman, hope you're feeling better. Shooting a wedding under any conditions is hot enough without it being outdoors and 97 degrees. Been there and I can truly feel your pain.

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/13/11 05:56 PM

I sent James a PM to let him know I would like to change my choice of the challenge theme from dogs to one off the suggestions list - sunrise/sunset - sunsets if I need to narrow it down more. I apologize for any delays my original choice caused smile.

Kerri

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/13/11 08:37 PM

Kerri,
not a problem here -- I had both "dogs" and "rottweilers" totally covered smile. I think Sunrise/Sunset is a great theme and forces me to get outside when I'm already up for that early morning feeding. Sunset is "iffy" this time of year in Florida because of evening thunderstorms but we do dawn very nicely.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/13/11 09:00 PM

Hey Kerri,

Thanks. I think Roman's advice is sound and should be heeded. I am fine as long as it is 'pets' versus a single breed. If you want to do something else, that is also cool. LOL - the decision is now back in your hands.

James

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/14/11 12:19 AM

Sunrise/sunset is okay with me smile.

Re: Challenge - Natural Wonders in your Neighborhood - 09/14/11 01:54 PM

Sounds like a plan. I am going out this weekend to Austin Hot Spring for some pro-bono work for the effort to return it to its once enjoyed glory. Will hit Bagby Hot Springs earlier that morning for some sunrise action.

Roman
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum