The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets

Posted By: James Morrissey

September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/14/11 04:48 AM

OK Everyone - Kerri has given us our new forum challenge - sunrise or sunset!

All entries must be posted prior to the 1st of October. That means that the last entry in can be in on 09/30/2011 at 11:59 PM EST. As we discussed last month - one image per person and it must be taken during the challenge period!

Cheers!
James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/14/11 01:06 PM

Ooooo, I've got a great idea: a Rottweiler puppy silhouetted at Sunset smile!

Now, to get one of them to stand still long enough wink. Good theme and should get some incredible images. Hope mine can be one of them.

Jim
Posted By: KatieC

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/26/11 05:07 PM

If I wanted to post a pic for the challenge...does it go here in this thread?

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/26/11 05:26 PM

Hi Katie - yes. This is a great place to put it. I am getting desperate myself! I have only 4 days to get this done and the last two have been cloudy all day.

James

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/26/11 05:50 PM

Thanks James smile I hope that clear skies are in your immediate future wink

This is my very first ever sunset attempt...and I was a tad bit late as you can see the sun is entirely gone *sigh* (I hope it still qualifies as a sunset photo)

Overlooking the Ashley River from the Westmoreland Bridge, Charleston SC.

Also...could I post 2..or just one for a challenge?
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/29/11 03:01 AM

Ok, here is my entry.

It was taken on the 21st.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/29/11 02:19 PM

that is amazing smile love it!

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/29/11 04:20 PM

Beautiful Roman! As always smile.

Jim
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 02:24 AM

Antelope Island Overlooking Salt Lake City
& The Great Salt Lake

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 01:23 PM

Well, as the hours speed by, the chances of me getting an image specifically for this month's contest are fading fast. Kinda like me smile! The puppies are taking their toll and at 7:15 am when the sun rises, it's usually puppy-feeding time and at 7:15 pm when the sun sets, it's Jim/Linda feeding time. I'll give it one more shot tonight but if I don't get a chance to submit, I'll still have fun enjoying the wonderful images the rest of you have submitted. Oh, and I will vote wink.

Jim
Posted By: Tyler

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 02:05 PM

I'm in the same boat, I'll try to get one on my way into work tonight, maybe over the wetlands on campus. This is one I really wanted to do, sunsets/sunrises was on my list of shots to improve on this summer along with mountain shots. Working 12 hour shifts has made this one rough though, my drive to work is at sunset, and its been up for a bit when I get home.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 06:34 PM

Good luck all of you....wishes for an excellent sunset for you all tonight.

Roman

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 07:21 PM

I am in the same place!!! I have not had a sunset or a sunrise in a week. Nothing! It is currently cloudy and I don't think we are going to get anything today, either. YUCK!!!!!!!!

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 09/30/11 11:47 PM

I have a suggestion. Since we did not agree on a topic for this challenge until two weeks into September and several folks who were interested in participating are up against the deadline, why not extend the deadline by a week or two?

Not that I'm one of them, but for folks who still work for a living, September's window was pretty narrow.

Tucson Jim
Posted By: LauraJ

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 01:19 AM

I have no clue about the sunrises blush

At the beginning of the month we had a couple of pretty sunsets. Since the challenge started, nothing pretty or colorful that I saw frown

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 01:37 AM

The question is - is that fair to the folks who got their entries in? I know I did not get mine in. It has been raining all week...

If the three people who entered are ALL fine with it, I think it is fair to consider extending this by a week. However, if they are not, I don't think it is fair to ask. Also, part of me says that those three then deserve a second crack if there's was done in a rush....

James

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 02:55 AM

James, on one hand, I think the deadline is sacrosanct. On the other hand, I have to ask when the decision was made about the "monthly" theme and if it was less than a month, then I think we should make it 30 days to get in our entries. Of course, as one who has yet to get a shot at either sunrise or sunset, this does sound a bit self-serving but the key issue is whether monthly contests are actually a month in duration or not. My opinion: 30 days is the duration regardless of when the theme is selected.

Jim

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
James, on one hand, I think the deadline is sacrosanct. On the other hand, I have to ask when the decision was made about the "monthly" theme and if it was less than a month, then I think we should make it 30 days to get in our entries. Of course, as one who has yet to get a shot at either sunrise or sunset, this does sound a bit self-serving but the key issue is whether monthly contests are actually a month in duration or not. My opinion: 30 days is the duration regardless of when the theme is selected.

Jim

I second the motion. I also am not (as is the case here) adversed to extending deadlines if input is limited. I am sure all of us here with entries already would enjoy a much healthier competition.
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 03:43 AM

Hey Guys, I am sitting here trying to send a photo. (Having some problems getting it to launch.) I think that if we extend the closing, those who have entered can withdraw their entry and resubmit, as long as there is only one entry per person.

Doug

P.S. If I get mine to download, I will. I think I can do better.

[img]https://plus.google.com/photos/106713595342939258357/albums/5658349103887916577?hl=en[/img]

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 04:24 AM

Hey Folks,

If Marty and KatieC are OK then with extending the deadlines then I will definitely extend it a week.

Cheers
James

PS Going forward (after this contest), all challenges will have a 30 day window. I think that is good feedback.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 04:26 AM

Hey Doug

Not sure if Google+ has an interface that will work with UBB since Google Plus is so new. Perhaps that is the problem..

James

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 09:07 PM

James,

Thanks for the heads up about Google+. I went back to my Zenfolio account.

Thought I would add a photo that represents my luck at getting a good sunrise/sunset shoot. (Not my entry!!!!)

Doug

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/01/11 10:23 PM

I'm good with the idea of extending the challenge so more photos can be submitted.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 12:55 AM

Bragging rights from a winning spot in a three horse race won't matter much to me. Either that or Katie ,Roman and I each get a piece
of the t-shirt jackpot! Now if cash were involved.................
Ya'll whiners get outta bed and bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 02:05 AM

LOL. Excellently said, Marty, we all have until the 8th at Midnight (est). Of course, i did not bring a laptopto wyoming, so this will be interesting.

James

Ps Shot a double rainbow and folliage today as well as anice sunset at Oxbow Bend. Not sure if it is a 'winner' (particularly since i cannot orocess it), but nice none the less. smile

James
Posted By: Diane

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 12:58 PM

Thanks for the extended deadline. smile If I am too late, I apologize....

This is sunrise over the treetops just west of the Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 01:47 PM

Wow! Well, Diane, that sets a standard for me smile

Jim

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 02:03 PM

Nice Diane!

Glad we extended it!

Roman

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/02/11 05:35 PM

Ruh roh........ and Ooops.....

My image of the Uganda sunrise doesn't meet the contest requirement of being shot during the contest duration. Sorry...... It was shot this past February. ..... sigh..... next time, I'll read the rules *first*.....

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/03/11 03:26 AM

That image in Uganda,,, GREAT SHOT.-man that watermark takes it over!
It is an awesome shot, but the watermark pulls your eyes
so much.... anyway thanks for posting but shrink that!!!!!!!!!
please

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/03/11 03:26 AM

Hey Diane,

Beautiful shot. With the additional time, there is still time to go out and make anotger aweome photo!!

James

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/03/11 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Marty Everhard
That image in Uganda,,, GREAT SHOT.-man that watermark takes it over!
It is an awesome shot, but the watermark pulls your eyes
so much.... anyway thanks for posting but shrink that!!!!!!!!!
please

Marty, thanks for the kudos. I love this image.

As for the watermark, it comes along automatically from my website. I've gone over and over about what to do with the watermark, how dark? How big? What's too small? etc. I'm a kind of paranoid person, so I settled for a fairly large one in the lower left of the screen. I keep thinking that I should redo the lettering, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry about it. Just look past, if you can. One of these days, I'd like to hire a professional graphics designer to help me with a branding. But, right now, I just don't have the money. So, if anyone has any input, I'm open to suggestions. But, this should probably go into a different forum. smile

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/04/11 12:19 PM

Hello all,

Time has run out for me this week. Too much on my plate to make it out again. So, here is my entry. This was taken in Bracken, a small town just outside of San Antonio. This was taken just before the sun had risen.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to some killer photos!

Doug

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/07/11 01:41 AM

Here is mine. It is only minimally processed. I took it the other night while on our way back from Yellowstone.

James

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/07/11 10:14 AM

Beautiful James. Trying hard to hold onto that next T-shirt, huh?

Jim

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/07/11 02:36 PM

Well, the extension gave me a chance to actually get some images that reflect this month's theme. I was able to capture what I would consider, for me, the "anticipated" type of Sunrise/Sunset shot. It's nice. I actually like it a lot. Not more than the other posts, but, again for me, it's not bad.

But then I thought about what type of shot would be "unanticipated" yet consistent with what I do most of the time. And I just so happened to have one of those -- a dog portrait taken at sunset near a lake here in Orlando. Yes, the dog is illuminated by the setting sun -- the magic light. Yes, it's a Rottweiler but not one of ours. It's a girl that needed a portrait for a breed magazine cover. So, without further adieu or explanation, here's Bay.

Jim

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/08/11 01:25 AM

Hey Jim,

Very nice photo! Looks like we are down to about the last 30 hours. I made a mistake. Photos are good until Saturday at 11:59 - not midnight. That would have made it the 9th....

James
Posted By: Nicole St-Onge

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/08/11 03:20 PM

Posted By: LauraJ

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/09/11 01:04 AM

Everyone has such beautiful pictures

Cattails & sunset

Posted By: Tyler

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/09/11 02:23 AM

With one of my busiest weeks at work in some time, I only got a chance to snap this on my way into work last night. These are the wetlands behind my place.

Re: September Forum Challenge - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/09/11 02:37 PM

Awesome, everyone! Glad to see we got a few more entries on the last day. I will make the poll ASAP.

James

Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/10/11 03:36 AM

Here are the candidates for this month's forum challenge - Sunrise/Sunset!

Re: Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/17/11 04:18 AM

Congratulations to me, I guess! Thank you to everyone who voted for it. I am honored. On a positive note, LOL, it looks like I get to keep my T-shirt for this month!

The topic for the next photo challenge (remember, we have 30 days)? Fall!

James

Re: Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/17/11 02:14 PM

Yes...grats to you!!!! Will be shooting fall cityscapes hopefully this weekend. Will give me lots to capture for the next round.

Roman

Re: Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/17/11 03:03 PM

Thanks, Roman. It is really appreciated!

James

Re: Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/18/11 02:25 AM

James,
Congrats on the win. You really smoked us all with that image.

Doug

Re: Forum Challenge Vote - Sunrise and Sunsets - 10/19/11 02:44 PM

Thanks Doug. I appreciate it. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. LOL, I had nothing before the trip to Yellowstone. It was fortuitous that I was able to convince the fam to stop while we were passing Lewis Lake. We just lucked out when I got the the beach and saw the stump in the water.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum