The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

My collage efforts

Posted By: Jim Poor

My collage efforts - 09/27/11 03:48 PM

It's no secret that collages are a challenge for me, but when a handler recently selected four posed images for an 11x14 collage I was really stumped trying to come up with something.

Here's what I ended up doing. Thoughts?

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: My collage efforts - 09/27/11 09:33 PM

Hey Jim,

I really like it. I wonder if you might want to darken the borders on the 3 collages to give it further separation? Also, do you want to consider burning the tops of the 3 small photographs to give them an additional sense of separation from the larger image?

Thanks
James

Re: My collage efforts - 09/28/11 04:59 AM

One more thing - the frames in your image. Is this part of a template you are using?

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: My collage efforts - 09/28/11 10:36 AM

Thanks James.

No template, I made it and then decided I didn't like the frames. I made some changes suggested by Marc Kitaen.

Here is an updated version:

I need to remove the dark tree from the top of the two right inset images next.

Re: My collage efforts - 09/29/11 03:30 PM

Hey Jim,

I like this better. I found the frames to be not as nice as what you produced here. For image differentiation, you could consider putting in a slightly harder stroke - but I don't think you need to. Toning down the tops of the 3 small images was good.

James
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: My collage efforts - 10/01/11 09:21 PM

Jim,

I agree with James. The second revision appeals more to my eye. Collages are tough. They are even more individualistic. I tend to be straight ahead and simplistic.

If I had done it, I would have gone with the 11x14 in landscape, then place the photo of the three of them full on the left, and then to the right, the other three from top to bottom along side of the larger image. Then border around all to fill in the remaining negative space. (But that is more classic and not much imagination on my part.)

Good Job. Doug
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum