The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Fire away...

Posted By: K.B. Photography

Fire away... - 10/28/11 06:22 AM

Guess I'll let ya'll get to know me in a forum where you can tell me what I did wrong.

So what do you like or dislike about this image?

Posted By: KatieC

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 03:35 PM

Beautiful shot..only thing I saw (and I am not even CLOSE to a pro or anything) was the skinny tree beside the big tree...I may have tried cropping that out.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 04:14 PM

Hi Kevin,
I have no negative feedback on this at all: nice shot. Where did you capture this Wolf?

Jim
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
Hi Kevin,
I have no negative feedback on this at all: nice shot. Where did you capture this Wolf?

Jim

Ditto on both.

Nice capture, good placement in the frame. Good exposure. Not much else to comment on.

Roman

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: KatieC
Beautiful shot..only thing I saw (and I am not even CLOSE to a pro or anything) was the skinny tree beside the big tree...I may have tried cropping that out.

Hmmm... I may have to give that a try and see how it looks. Good eye.

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:26 PM

Hi Kevin,

Jim

There must be some mystery in life for it to be enjoyed... but it wasn't in a zoo.

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:26 PM

Thanks Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:39 PM

Hi,

I like this shot a bunch. If it was in the wild, you are really - and I mean really - fortunate. If you area asking me to be entirely picky (which I think you are), the one thing that bothers me about the image is that there is darkening at the bottom of the frame. I am assuming that it was taken in a blind, and that is what we are seeing? As the wolf's feet are already a bit cut, it seems impossible to crop it out.

Over-all? A very very nice shot - and if this was in the wild, I know how fortunate you are just to have experienced it, much less having gotten the photo.

Cheers
James

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: K.B. Photography
Hi Kevin,

Jim

There must be some mystery in life for it to be enjoyed... but it wasn't in a zoo.

Actually I am a disclosure kinda guy. Especially in this kind of work. The big kudos go to the wild shooters, and medium kudos go to the "game preserve" kind of shooters as the animals are not skiddish of humans and much easier to capture.

Dosn't make the image any less good or bad, it just lets me know what dedication the shooter had to have to get the shot.

Roman

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 06:56 PM

Kevin,
the reason behind my original question about where you captured this image was to see if it was at the Seacrest Wolf Preserve in Northern Florida which I've always wanted to visit. There was nothing judgmental in the question at all and if you took it in a preserve, or in a zoo, it still would be a nice image. If you took it in the wild, that would be doubly cool because of the difficulty of it but would have no influence on the quality of the image itself.

Jim

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 10:16 PM

Actually I was laying on the ground for that shot so what you're seeing is just that.

Re: Fire away... - 10/28/11 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
Hi Kevin,

Jim

Actually I am a disclosure kinda guy. Especially in this kind of work. The big kudos go to the wild shooters, and medium kudos go to the "game preserve" kind of shooters as the animals are not skiddish of humans and much easier to capture.

Dosn't make the image any less good or bad, it just lets me know what dedication the shooter had to have to get the shot.

Roman

I understand your point of view. Guess I get medium kudos. And your post should say... "not AS skiddish" The wolf shots were taken at Seacrest. I was very blessed to get a 2 day shoot there... although it did cost me a bit of $$$$.

I was still shooting with a 500mm lens and at times had a 1.4x installed.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Fire away... - 10/29/11 03:01 AM

I've been really wanting to do a shoot at Seacrest!

Beautiful image.

Re: Fire away... - 10/29/11 12:29 PM

Hey Jim, me too. Let's set up a photo shoot with Preston, Julie, you and me. And some benefactor who will pay for it all smile.

Jim
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Fire away... - 10/29/11 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hi,

I like this shot a bunch. If it was in the wild, you are really - and I mean really - fortunate. If you area asking me to be entirely picky (which I think you are), the one thing that bothers me about the image is that there is darkening at the bottom of the frame. I am assuming that it was taken in a blind, and that is what we are seeing? As the wolf's feet are already a bit cut, it seems impossible to crop it out.

Over-all? A very very nice shot - and if this was in the wild, I know how fortunate you are just to have experienced it, much less having gotten the photo.

Cheers
James

I'm going to agree with James on this, I wish the feet were not cut off (amputated) and the very bottom of the image is throwing me off.
Other than that, great capture.

Re: Fire away... - 10/31/11 11:56 PM

Agreed....not AS skiddish, and don't feel bad about medium kudos.....dem are some pretty good kudos. All I have are zoo photos...I get the underling kudos....LOL!!! Often thought of going to a preserve for the same kind of shots you just got.....be proud to have them in my portfolio.

I just know a few nature shooters and what they have to go through to get amazing quality fully wild. For me...it is as much about the respect for their natural ability to be part of nature as it is about their talent. It takes a certian kinda person. :~)

Roman

Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
Hi Kevin,

Jim

Roman

I understand your point of view. Guess I get medium kudos. And your post should say... "not AS skiddish" The wolf shots were taken at Seacrest. I was very blessed to get a 2 day shoot there... although it did cost me a bit of $$$$.

I was still shooting with a 500mm lens and at times had a 1.4x installed.

Re: Fire away... - 11/01/11 12:25 PM

Roman,
I've looked into the Seacrest Preserve and it looks like an incredible place to get some environmental shots that are more like "in the wild" than just about any other fenced environment. It's pricey but you get a decent amount of time to actually encounter the wolves and watch them interact in their packs. Let's face it, most of us will never have the opportunity to see these incredible animals -- ancestors to my Rotties and most other canines -- in their natural environment. And there is less and less of that environment available to them these days. Think I'll start hinting about a really nice Xmas present for a certain photographer smile.

Re: Fire away... - 11/01/11 10:53 PM

Roman,
I've looked into the Seacrest Preserve and it looks like an incredible place to get some environmental shots that are more like "in the wild" than just about any other fenced environment. It's pricey but you get a decent amount of time to actually encounter the wolves and watch them interact in their packs. Let's face it, most of us will never have the opportunity to see these incredible animals -- ancestors to my Rotties and most other canines -- in their natural environment. And there is less and less of that environment available to them these days. Think I'll start hinting about a really nice Xmas present for a certain photographer smile.

I can guarantee it... and I have the photos to prove it. Lets face it... If I wouldn't have ever said they were taken there you'd never know the difference.
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Fire away... - 11/22/11 02:40 AM

This is a really nice shot- lighting, focus, subject-
the thing I would have done different, I would have fought like hell to get the tree out from behind the face of the wolf.
Tht would have really made a huge difference. It would take it
over the top. I really like the photo, but that is what I would have tried to do if the animal did as I directed....":}
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum