The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Critique please

Posted By: chris18

Critique please - 11/04/11 06:58 PM

So I'm a hobbyist photographer and while I get some compliments on my work from friends, I wanted to seek out a professional's opinion of my photos/work just to see how I can improve on it and what I'm doing right.
So here's my photo blush

Thanks
Chris
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Critique please - 11/04/11 10:25 PM

Well Chris, I'm not the one to give advice on pet/animal photography, but I did want to know if you were using a light ring. I know for dogs and cats, I've been told to strive for shots without toungs hanging out, just not sure that should be the case for this particular animal, since the toung adds interest. I'm sure others will give you a much better critique than what I can do.

Re: Critique please - 11/04/11 10:36 PM

Yes a ring flash was used
This is my favorite shot because of the tong, these animals flick them out and in very fast so was lucky to get it at all.
Looking forward to what others think and thanks for the comment smile
Posted By: Bob D.

Re: Critique please - 11/04/11 11:24 PM

A very nice image IMHO. I think the tongue adds character. I can't think of anything more appropriate in a portrait of a reptile than its distinctive forked tongue. I see good detail and texture, always a plus. If I were going to nit pick I might mention the clipped off toe on the LH side. Cropping appendages like that often creates uncomfortable feelings for many viewers. Some might suggest a little cloning work on the catch light as the ring light reflection isn't something you'd expect to see in nature. Overall a very nice image.

Re: Critique please - 11/05/11 01:17 PM

Thanks, unfortunately the missing toe wasn't cropped, just how it was framed and it's annoying too me too.
I have two minds about the catch light, some people say it adds to the eye making it feel more alive while I know it annoys some people as well. Not sure which it is for me. Luckily this one is in an ok position, some of my other images it's regressing into the colored part of the eyes which I do not like at all
Thanks for your time
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum