The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

50 mm Challenge

Posted By: James Morrissey

50 mm Challenge - 10/18/12 01:14 AM

Hi Everyone!

This month's challenge - 50mm prime! The contest will end 11/18/2012. As always, the photo must be taken during this challenge period.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 10/18/12 05:15 AM

I dont own any primes. All zooms. OK to photograph at 50MM?

Roman

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 10/18/12 07:03 PM

LOL - FINE. 50mm. Does not matter if it is prime.

James

PS Roman - you don't have one prime lens? I am somehow really surprised by that.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 10/18/12 07:16 PM

You're not the only one! shocked

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 10/19/12 11:49 AM

Light kit and versatile. High quality zooms give me prime like sharpness and universal options for composition. As of next week will be 14-24, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. Most are as high a quality or darned close as any prime. Landscape is often about DOF so F/2.8 on all the lenses is perfect.

Should also have my D800 soon as well, hopefully by end of the month.

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 11/02/12 03:48 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was asked to please clarify the rules:

1. The photo must be taken at 50mm.
2. It must follow a Nature/Wildlife/Pet Photography theme
3. It must be taken during the 30 days that the challenge was created
4. It must be posted by November 19th 2012 at 11:59 PM (LOL, we can take into account your time zone).

That's about it - I think. Usually people ask better questions to things I overly simplify. frown

James
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 11/05/12 04:39 AM

the 14-24 is a stellar lens. I've been shooting mine for about two years now and i have two complaints, no way to screw in a filter, there are some options, but they are $$$, and lens flare is horrible! if you get the sun to strike the bulbed front element at an angle, you'll pay for it .. . I kept my 17-35 for when i need to shoot into the light . . .
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 11/05/12 12:19 PM

Hey Tony!

Good to hear from you.

Jim
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 11/05/12 07:56 PM

Thanks Jim, and I hope to have a little more presents here in the future, been awhile so I hope to keep it up. It's great to see some of the early NWP guys still around!

My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/14/12 04:26 AM

From the gardens.

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/15/12 04:54 AM

Hey Roman,

I am going to miss this one, it looks like. Between the hurricane and work being done in my apartment, i have been unable to get out at all. frown

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/15/12 12:05 PM

Sorry to hear that you were affected that strongly from the hurricane. My heart goes out to everyone on the east coast.

Roman

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/16/12 07:23 PM

LOL, Roman, I wish I could use the hurricane as a complete excuse. I am super lucky. No flooding and no power outage. However, the parks (where I would be taking this) are a complete mess. Technically, they are all still closed. Add to this that I have just had my floors sanded and cannot walk into my own apartment and you see that there are problems...

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/19/12 05:37 PM

Looks like I am not the only one who needs a bit more time.. Roman, you OK if I extend this? I apologize I have been so absent.

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/20/12 12:22 PM

No problem at all. Extend it all you need to.

Don't want to win first prize at a beauty contest only because I was the only contestant. :~)

Roman

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/20/12 08:14 PM

LOL, you could have taken 2nd place!! Don't worry, I have access to my apartment as of yesterday. I am going to get my butt into gear. If it is OK, I have extended things to the 1st of December.

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/26/12 01:45 PM

So far, nothing exciting. I am taking the camera with me to Saratoga for a conference I am attending. Hopefully I will get something there in my free time.

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/27/12 03:36 PM

Hoping my 50 arrives before the 1st smile.

Jim

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 11/29/12 06:23 PM

I am still having trouble. I have a shoot later this week, so we shall see if I can get something of value.

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/01/12 10:58 PM

I got a shot....now I just need to get home and process. :p

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/02/12 04:11 AM

...OK, so it is not really a contest. LOL, you try photographing a 15 year old ill cat.

James

Posted By: psmith

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/02/12 08:27 PM

Maxwell @ 50MM. (Canon 50MM 1.4)

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/03/12 10:47 PM

Thanks, Preston and Roman. This is a bit of a disappointment. frown LOL, I think it is fair to say that mine is the weakest image from the lot. It was harder than I thought it would be given that I had a dickens getting out the way that I should. Having said that, I am also disappointed by the lack of entries.
Do you guys want to go ahead and have a vote on the three images or just say "well, we tried...?"

Thanks
James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/04/12 06:01 AM

James:

FWIW, I think if you extend it through the end of the month you might garner some more entries.

Jim

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/04/12 06:18 AM

Yeah...sure. I am game. Lets give er another month.

Roman

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/04/12 02:53 PM

My 50 will be here later this week smile! I'd love to be able to participate.

Jim

Re: 50 mm Challenge - 12/04/12 03:17 PM

James,

Thanks for doing this. It gave me an incentive to take off my go to lens and put the 50mm on and see what I could get. Now I'm wondering how different this would be on my 7D, given the crop factor. I already threw mine in a day late, so I'm all for extending the time :-).

If it goes another month can we have more than one entry? I'm not looking for a prize, just another excuse to do something that I don't normally do.

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/04/12 03:19 PM

James, this is full of character and the eyes are full of cat wisdom.

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/06/12 03:47 AM

All right. We have already had one extension - but I am OK with giving it a second one, as long as Preston and Roman are OK with it.

James

PS Thank you for the very kind words, Preston. Honestly, I am always really embarassed to show cat photos on the site when I know that you or Helmi might be looking. :P

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/06/12 02:11 PM

Let me know if you're going with the additional extension. I have a few shots I could share but today is the first day I actually have the time to do a formal shoot. Should have an entry by the end of today. Lens arrived on Tuesday.

Jim

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/06/12 10:48 PM

Well, since I didn't get a reply to my question this morning about whether or not the contest has been extended, I'll just submit my entry and you can do what you will.

First, a point of order: while I appreciate the artistic merit of all the submitted entries in this 50mm Challenge, I'd like to suggest that special consideration should be given for not just artistic merit but also degree of difficulty smile. I would suggest that taking great pictures of kitty cats or puppies takes great skill. However, it does not take pure, adrenaline-producing courage. That comes from taking pictures, with a 50mm lens, of creatures that can be positively vicious. To wit: the nasty Black Swan.

Well, OK, maybe not Creatures of the Serengeti but these guys have been known to bite and peck. And to fill the frame with a 50mm lens -- even on a crop body -- means working within 3 ft of these creatures. I'm just sayin' smile.

Here is my submission: a Black Swan from Lake Eola in downtown Orlando.

Enjoy. Note, no photographers were injured in the pursuit of this photograph.

Jim

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/07/12 12:20 AM

LOL, awesome, Jim. I was waiting for Preston or Roman to reply. Having said that, my general feeling is that since this is mostly 'family fun' that it should not be a problem to accommodate everyone. So, let's just go til the end of the month.

James

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/10/12 09:16 AM

I did reply, James.

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/10/12 09:18 AM

Jim, do these swans chase your Rotties?

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/10/12 02:27 PM

Preston,
Worse. They chase me!! Actually, these guys are pretty tame and there are feeding stations set up around the lake so they get pretty spoiled. It's a great family location right in the center of downtown Orlando. They have Swan Boats, a fabulous fountain, a band shell for outdoor concerts and events and these wonderful birds. For someone who is used to having to stalk wildlife at refuges and wetland preserves, this is a little different and you can get very close. But I overcame the urge to bait them with food -- like I do my Rotties. I've walked Cassidy Ann down there. She's not impressed grin.

Jim

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/11/12 08:13 PM

Hey...don't discount the dangers in the japanese gardens (my first entry)

Ninjas everywhere...killer koi.....its a jungle out there!!!

Roman

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 12/12/12 01:50 PM

smile smile. Thank goodness you survived!

Jim

Re: My entry into the 50MM challenge - 01/03/13 09:14 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated. I am going to put up a newsletter as soon as I get a new article done. I apologize for my slowness.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum