The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Photo Challenge

Posted By: James Morrissey

Photo Challenge - 04/07/07 02:43 PM

Hey Guys,

I posted this shot in one of the other forums a few days ago. I really like it, but it is missing a bit of 'pop.' I would appreciate it to see what everyone can do with it.

James

Posted By: daveman

Re: Photo Challenge - 04/08/07 01:16 AM

Here's my version.

Attached picture 7571-trialcopy.jpg

Re: Photo Challenge - 04/09/07 04:39 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for contributing the file. You went much more contrasty than I did, making the TV look like it is popping out on the sands. It definitely provides a different effect.

I think in my next stab at this, I am going to try playing with the colors more to make them seem intentionally incorrect. Hopefully later this week. This weekend, I have been trying to knock off photos for the Death Valley article, but I will definitely take another stab later in the week.

James
Posted By: pigasus

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/25/07 05:44 PM

How about this, James?

Sally
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 01:54 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

I posted this shot in one of the other forums a few days ago. I really like it, but it is missing a bit of 'pop.' I would appreciate it to see what everyone can do with it.

James

Here is my edit....you will see some artifacts in the sky due to dealing with a little bitty file...but should get the idea across...

Roman

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 03:29 PM

Hey Sally and Roman,

LOL, I kind of forgot about this a while ago. Thanks for taking part. Roman - I particularly like your version. The TV looks like it is going to pop out at me. Can you tell me what you did to process the image?

James

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 04:46 PM

I did a blend to seperate the curves use on the sky vs. the curves used on the foreground. Once flattened, I edited it in all 10 color spaces (RGB,CMYK, and of course LAB) using curves and Color balance adjustment layers, then used the exposure adjustment in CS3 to tighten up the brightness and black point....then sharpened it a touch.

Roman
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 06:24 PM

Roman, I think you could have saved the titanic!

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 06:42 PM

LOL, Tony, I hope that you are not comparing the photo to the Titanic.

Roman, when you say that you are editing in all 3 color spaces...for the little old lady down the street. Can you tell me how are you doing this?

James

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/27/07 09:02 PM

Sure...in photoshop...you have the Image/mode menu (where you change bits per chanel and color spaces...

Adjust curves within each seperate colors (layers/new adjustment layers/curves) Then just adjust each color layer using the drop down box in each curves layer control With so many adjustments available...a little goes a long way. In cmyk....adjust the left hand side across the bottom to tighten up the color channel THEN...grap the curve in the middle and lift it a bit above the center line to remove the cast of color created by tightening it up....playing with the curve and giving it fine tune will go a long way here...small adjusments can really make the diffreence.

I adjust a color balance layer as well in CMYK and LAB as each control can be minutly tuned to keep color dead on....you will have a radio button on the bottom of this layer control....Shadow...Mid...Highlight.....adjust for each range.

Once back into RGB, create an "exposure" adjustment layer to tighten up the brightness and black point.

Sharpen to taste.

ROman

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/28/07 07:02 PM

Roman,

I know this is not a how to forum, but I would appreciate if I can ask two questions, and then I will stop.

Do you flatten the image each time you are moving from one color space to another? I find shifts occur if I do not do so.

Also - how do you avoid posturization? Several times I have been doing my thing; you know .. fiddle here ... fiddle there... and then I notice certain colors in a certain area have been posturized and since I have been flattening between color spaces I need to start all over.

I think the term I mean is posturized.. I get funny edges between colors.

Does this question make sense?

Dave

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/28/07 09:14 PM

I start with RAW first and shooting with your end product in mind will go a great way....nailing exposure....getting WB as close to proper as you can (I use Expodisk) go a great way to keeping your shot with at little editing as you can.

My philosophy is to use photoshop like bondo....not for filling huge gaping holes...but fine tuning a well massaged body and minor inperfections. That is how you avoid posturization.....the smaller your edits...the less chance of taking somthing over the edge.

Yes I flatten my image inbetween color spaces...doing so insures your edits continue on.

I find when I am doing things with my work...I zoom into areas most hit by the changes and insure they are not going too far. Color for color...and tonal range for shadow/mid/highlight. Then I back out and see what it looks like....and see if any areas are out of desired results.

I try to get the shot as close in the camera as I can...then mildly fine tune the end result.

Roman

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/29/07 01:41 AM

Thanks Roman,

That was helpful.

Dave
Posted By: Kim Letkeman

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/29/07 06:50 AM

Quote:

Nice shot. My take is a bit more extreme.
Posted By: EliAGrimmett

Re: Photo Challenge - 05/29/07 09:39 PM

I'm new to the forums, but here's my extreme rendition anyway.

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum