The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

i need help

Posted By: Laurie Sullivan

i need help - 06/30/07 05:01 PM

this is my first post here after weeks of reading and viewing. i really like your site. here is my dilemma, for weeks i have been trying to shoot the moon. well i've got the exposure down, just not the focus part. i'm using a 70-300mm lens. i can't seem to get the moon in focus. yes i've got a tripod and a good one, and yes i'm using a remote release. shooting at the "sunny 16" theory. my D50 only has a ISO of 200. i tried a 2X teleconverter and still i'm can't seem to get it right. please if you have any ideas i would love to have them.

laurie

Attached picture 9218-DSC_00041.JPG
Posted By: Julie

Re: i need help - 06/30/07 09:57 PM

What is your shutter speed?

Re: i need help - 06/30/07 11:10 PM

i've tried any where from 150 to 1 sec. setting the f stop as needed. i read where a guy set it from manual to programed auto "P". i'm going to give that a try also.

laurie
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: i need help - 07/01/07 03:12 PM

Hi Laurie,

COuld you post a slightly larger file? The one you are uploading looks fine to me - I see no motion blur and it looks generally sharp - at least at the size I am seeing.

James
Posted By: glamson

Re: i need help - 07/02/07 12:13 AM

Quote:

this is my first post here after weeks of reading and viewing. i really like your site. here is my dilemma, for weeks i have been trying to shoot the moon. well i've got the exposure down, just not the focus part. i'm using a 70-300mm lens. i can't seem to get the moon in focus. yes i've got a tripod and a good one, and yes i'm using a remote release. shooting at the "sunny 16" theory. my D50 only has a ISO of 200. i tried a 2X teleconverter and still i'm can't seem to get it right. please if you have any ideas i would love to have them.

laurie

Laurie,

I can't really tell how good your resolution is from the low res web photo, but I'm sure you are probably getting the optimum image you can from your setup. Unfortunately, I can tell you from experience that you don't really have the optics to get the resolution you want. A 70-300mm lens on a 6mp sensor just won't do it (even with a TC). On top of that the full moon is especially hard to capture because of the lack of shadow detail. Here is my best effort using a Tamron 600mm mirror lens, 1/30", f/13 on a D200 body (10mp sensor) with the mirror locked up and a very good tripod. It'a also about a 50% crop. Shooting the half moon at least lets you get some crater shadow detail at the horizon line.

The best moon photos I've seen always come from astrophotograpy with a telescope. If you are really interested in astronomical photograpy, that would be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Posted By: glamson

ISO1600 won't help - 07/02/07 12:45 AM

Laurie,

While all the things I said in my previous post are true, I did notice when examining the EXIF data for your image that you had the ISO set to 1600. I suspect you've experimented with changing the ISO but I recommend that you use nothing higher than 400 and 200 would be best. The pic I posted was shot at ISO100.

George

Re: ISO1600 won't help - 07/02/07 03:26 PM

thanks george,

for all your help. it was suggested that i remove the filter also. as for the ISO i thought it was at 200. will check the setting the next time and there will be a next time.

happy 4th everyone

laurie
Posted By: bob swanson

Re: ISO1600 won't help - 07/02/07 06:47 PM

My first thought after viewing your images was that you didn't have your mirror locked up. The second thought is that most photographers consider shooting the moon as a daylight exposure. ISO 100 - 200, F 8 - 11, and around 1/30 - 1/60 shutterspeed.
After reading your explanations my second thought might be the infinity focus on your lense. May you need to back off of infinity a touch. Just some thoughts. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com
Posted By: henryp

Re: i need help - 07/31/07 05:54 PM

The moon gets a full hit of noonday sun so your exposure should follow the "sunny-16" rule. You don't need mirror lock-up, although a tripod certainly cannot hurt.

The sunny-16 rule says, your exposure is f/16 and your shutter speed = 1/ISO, so if your ISO is set to (for example) 400, you'd be shooting at 1/500th sec and f/16.

Focus, of course is infinity.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum