The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Well...my gallery debut is this evening.....

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 02:09 PM

Range of emotions...nervous to excited...and about everthing in between.

Delivered about 9,000 worth of inventory...put it all up, and in racks.

We shall see what happens. Will try to post pictures.

If any are in the Portland area, the gallery is called "CityArts" and it is on 9th street and Morrison....last max stop (westbound heading out of town toward PGE Park) in fairless square.

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 05:14 PM

Hi Roman,

Awesome!! This is big stuff. How long will your work be featured at the gallery?

James
Posted By: spartacusii

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 05:53 PM

WOO- HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! that is so exciting. i am thrilled for you. best of luck to you & i hope it exceeds your wildest expectations. thanx for sharing this moment w/ us. i SOOOO Wish i was in the portland area & could see it for myself . . . . cuz i'm sure it will be spectacular.

jp

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 06:04 PM

Hey James....thanks. It will be there through December. Will continue if the market looks good. Have a 2nd opening in November...so we shall see what sells.

Hey JP....thanks a million! Will post some pictures...if you look close...you might even see me in a grey jacket....(my wife made me buy it!...LOL!!!)

Roman
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 07:00 PM

Congrats Roman!!! I am sure you will be well received and hope your sales will be better than you imagined.
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 08:23 PM

congrats,, I may show up there sometime,, my brother-in-law lives in Portland,, DAve

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/06/07 10:45 PM

Dave & Dave....THANKS!!!

Isnt there a band from the 80's called David & David?

Welcome To The Boom Town....I think was their hit.

Roman

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/07/07 12:05 AM

To me, the band from the 80's was AC/DC

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/07/07 01:34 AM

"Isnt there a band from the 80's called David & David?

Welcome To The Boom Town....I think was their hit."

believe it or not, i have it on CD.

jp
Posted By: daveman

Re: Well...my gallery debut is this evening..... - 09/07/07 05:01 AM

Congrats Roman. This is really exciting! I wish I was in the area so I could stop by...

As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/07/07 01:38 PM

Edward (Qwantm in these forums) was nice enough to round off a shot of me with my D70...

Thanks Edward!!!

Have the front of my rack up near the front window...(will get the back of it posted later this evening...ran out of time this morning)

Roman
--
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/07/07 01:40 PM

Really awesome, Roman. Keep this up and I will be asking you for an interview. :P

James

PS BTW, what size are the prints?

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/07/07 02:03 PM

Looks great Roman. Probably the reason I have never had an exibition is that I would show up in my camo!!

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/07/07 02:40 PM

James...LOL....but the real question is....Will I give you one? :~P

All kidding asside the print sizes are:

The huge print is 30x45 with a framed final size of 38x53

The medium sized are 20x30 with framed size of 30x40

The small prints are 12x18, framed size of 18x24

I DEFINITLY had the largest prints in the gallery...most people huge prints were about the same size or smaller than my 20x30's.

David,
LOL.....my wife MADE me buy that jacket...LOL!!!

It would have been jeans and a tee shirt if it were up to me.

Roman
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/07/07 04:19 PM

Ha Ha, same here, not sure camo would work for a black tie affair. Have yet to see the Real Tree camo tux hit the stores.

Don

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/08/07 02:56 AM

Roman -

i have to agree with your wife on this one (& being much more like you on this point, it pains me to do so), but the grey jacket was a good finishing touch. you look very Spiffy.

i see these pictures, & it just hits home in a whole different way - but i can't imagine ever being in the position you were last night. i thought about you a number of times last night - i even considered giving you a call. but i decided against it cuz i didn't want to steal any of your thunder. i really hope you are wildly successful there & really hope that it catapults you further along a trail i know you would like to travel.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PICS - it's funny how they somehow bring it all home in a totally different way than knowing about it. but i guess the newspapers & tv figured that out a lONG time ago, eh?

jp
Posted By: Joe

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/08/07 02:35 PM

Roman -

Congrats on the gallery showing!

You've made some wonderful choices to display and given your ability to get the best and most out of a photograph I'm sure they are astounding!

Can't wait to see what's on the other side of the rack.

To your wife - good choice on the jacket. It gives you a very professional look.
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/08/07 07:10 PM

Fantastic! Congratulations and kudos. That fall colors tree image is awesome!

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 11:36 AM

here is the back side of the display....
Posted By: daveman

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 03:18 PM

These shots are so nice. While they look fantastic on your website, it is even more impactful to see them framed and hanging up.

How was the response at the opening?

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 07:06 PM

Actually got a LOT of great feedback from the opening. You start to get jaded over your own work after a while...so to see others reaction...well....helps quite a bit to keep things in perspective.

Roman
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 07:21 PM

sooo, tell us, any sales? any good leads on new work etc?

Your stuff is stellar Roman!

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 07:49 PM

Actually...no sales yet. This is more of a test for me than any thing else...I might be pricing myself out of that areas market with my large prints. I know they sell to businesses for the prices I am asking. Have another order coming up as well.

We shall see....

Roman
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/12/07 08:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I just was wondering if youre selling any of that work. I'd find it hard to resist if I saw it and had the money, i'd buy!

I'm sure there's enough market in that area, it's just getting those images in front of those people with deep pockets and a love for the region!

Like I said, I love your work roman. . .

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/04/09 08:15 PM

I never did answer this Tony. It became rather a bit of a problem. I sold more peices than any other arist through christmas season. I came over to pick up my art work Jan 2nd and they said they would have my check in a week. I stopped by a few days later to ask some questions, and the place was EMPTY. They pulled up roots and left. Other artists also didnt get paid, AND thier work dissapeared.

I at least collected what didnt sell. :~(

Lesson learned.

Roman
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/04/09 10:35 PM

Quote:

Lesson learned.

Roman,
and what, specifically, was the lesson learned? That you can't trust anyone? That hard work is its own reward? That honesty in today's world is an antiquated concept?

I'm very sorry for what happened but what alternatives do you have for getting your money back and what exactly did you take away from this experience that could possibly be considered a positive?

Jim

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/05/09 11:42 PM

I learned that I have to be very careful with whom I trust my work to.

I learned that my work is accepted by the community despite the gallery not passing those funds they voted with in my direction.

I learned that small to medium gallerys are not my target market.

I learned to pick up and move on in the face of such dishonesty. And I guess in that note, I learned a lot more than they did.

Roman
Posted By: Randall

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/21/09 12:58 PM

Congrats Roman, this is something so many strive for and so few attain, your awesome tree is just the right selection, red is an attention grabber and you certainly have done that and more.
Randall

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/21/09 02:20 PM

Randall, thanks...this is a WAY old thread that I responded to. If you read on you find out it didnt turn out as expected.

Currently I am working with TIS graphics downtown and they are sprucing up the building and opeing up the windows so I can put my work in there.

TIS, Art Media and I are going to all start working together and see if we can pool our resources and make a go of it.

Roman
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: As promised...photos from the opening... - 09/21/09 06:10 PM

And so there were, in fact, many positives out of such a negative. I knew you had moved on. I never doubted that you would. It just p***es me off that people would take advantage of others in such an organized and callous way.

Thanks for the answers. And good luck with all future adventures.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum