The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge

Posted By: Darren Rowley

A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/09/07 09:55 PM

It was a once in a lifetime boat trip to see the Napoli Coast on the island of Kauai. The journey wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for because of cloud cover over the island. As we reached the turn around point, Kalalau Valley, the clouds finally parted. A gift from the fire goddess Pele, perhaps? Problem: The canyon was filled with mist, making all the green in the canyon look grey. I did my best as this scene strained the limits of my photography and post processing skills. A curse from Pele, perhaps?

I look forward to see what others can do.

If you go to this URL you should be prompted to download the RAW file.
http://www.cloudsonfire.com/rch/IMG_1975.CR2

If not send me an email at yelwor@gmail.com and I’ll send it to you.

This is a low res unmodified jpeg.

Thanks!
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/09/07 10:51 PM

Hey Darren,

Thanks for sharing your photograph. I will definitely take a stab at it.

James

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/10/07 12:54 PM

Hey Darren,

The link does not appear to be allowing the download.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/10/07 02:02 PM

Works for me...did it at home last night....and again this morning a few seconds ago...

Problem is probably on your end.

Roman
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/10/07 04:10 PM

The RAW file downloaded fine for me,, This is my attempt at it, Selected the water so that I didn't change it, adjusted the saturation on the upper part of the photo, mainly the yellows and greens. A bit of RGB curves adjustments (I am terrible with curves) Resized and sharpened with USM. I didn't know if the rocks were supposed to be red, or if they were gray like lava is that I have seen, so left them reddish. It will be interesting to see the other finished photos. DAve

Attached picture 10423-IMG_1975kauaichallenge.jpg

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/10/07 06:04 PM

Looks good, Dave. Yes, the dirt is red, and I think you got the right shade of red. The rocks along the shoreline are gray when not wet.

James, I just emailed the file to you.

Thanks,

-Darren
Posted By: glamson

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/10/07 06:52 PM

Quote:

It was a once in a lifetime boat trip to see the Napoli Coast on the island of Kauai. The journey wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for because of cloud cover over the island. As we reached the turn around point, Kalalau Valley, the clouds finally parted. A gift from the fire goddess Pele, perhaps? Problem: The canyon was filled with mist, making all the green in the canyon look grey. I did my best as this scene strained the limits of my photography and post processing skills. A curse from Pele, perhaps?

I look forward to see what others can do.

This is a low res unmodified jpeg.

Here is my quick attempt. I don't work with Canon raw files and don't really have a good converter except for ACR which is not even my favorite for my Nikon NEFS. So with that caveat, here is my attempt in PSPXI. I did it in CS2 also, but I didn't like that one as much (it always takes me longer in CS2 because I don't use it enough). Tried to bring up some detail in the dark cliffs, but I'm not really happy with it. I'm sure Roman will have a better solution.

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/11/07 03:55 AM

Hey Darren,

Thanks for participating and offering your file. I find this to be a lot of fun. Here is my crack at your photograph. I am wondering if I over-saturated the sky, otherwise, I like the colors a lot.

Posted By: daveman

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/11/07 06:29 AM

Here is my version. I concentrated on reducing the blue haze. There are really a lot of renditions of this - this is a great way to see how others view the same shot.

Darren - thanks for submitting the file.

Dave

Attached picture 10432-IMG_1975.jpg

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/11/07 11:29 AM

Man...I am aving a HECK of a time with the mountains below the clouds. Will give it another try later tonight. Man...you picked a tough one!!!

Roman

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/11/07 09:53 PM

LOL. Roman, I think you and everyone else are having the same problem I've had with this shot. It is hard to get that mist out of the valley. It had rained for three days before this shot was taken, and even after the storm had passed there was still a lot of mist in the air all over the island. I've even tired to work with the mist to make it apart of the shot but I never get anything that looks pleasing.

Thanks to all those making an effort to "save" this shot.

-Darren

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/12/07 12:45 AM

Ok...here is my try. The biggest problem area is the shadow area along the wall. Noise central as it is already under exposed...so it makes pulling detail pretty tough.

I left it darker so as not to add to the noise.

Still not happy with the edit....but best I can do with it for now (took 3 stabs at it)

Posted By: spartacusii

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/13/07 04:07 AM

having been on the top side of this scene, i have a fairly good recollection of the colors. i didn't get as much detail as roman did, & i think my noise level is about the same. the only area that i wasn't all that happy with was the water, but i think it is awfully close, so i didn't play with it any more. i approached the edit as tho it was an HDR, & feel mostly happy with the balance of the dynamic range - probably could have pulled it up just a bit more?

anyway, here it is for comments.

jp

Attached picture 10476-IMG_1975_NWPppChallenge.jpg
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/14/07 01:07 AM

What a beautiful place!

1. double conversion of RAW file - once for clouds/sky and once for everything else
2. combine to taste in PSCS2
3. flatten, crop and straighten, resize to 100 dpi and set desired pixel height and width
4. set black and white points with levels
5. adjust overall color using curves
6. increase saturation to taste (blue, green and yellow)
7. fine tune clouds using selective color (white)
8. dodge and burn selected areas to taste for best overall depth
9. reduce brush size and dodge ridge lines, rocks along shore etc.
10. selectively brush sharpen the areas dodged in step 9
11. stroke and frame
12. brighten a bit overall using exposure adjustment
13. convert to sRGB color space
14. save as jpg, quality level 11 for file size between 250 and 300 kb

* noise - I didn't apply noise reduction because in this case the cure turned out to be worse than the disease. I avoided contrast and sharpening adjustements in areas containing the most noise by using brush tools locally instead of making more global adjustments.

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 09/16/07 08:03 PM

For those interested in comparing the post-processed versions above, here they are together in an album: http://www.fototime.com/inv/F44C06674B8D7FE

If I've left anyone out please let me know.
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 10/11/07 01:42 AM

Wow, Buddy Thomason's looks really good, the color's are believable. Nice work. I am humbled,.I am having trouble with the basic step of combining the two raw exposures effectively, although I always shoot raw. I am missing some basic step somewhere.

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 10/12/07 06:58 PM

Thanks Marty, I appreciate the feedback and the positive energy!
I assume you convert each RAW file to TIFF, or do two different versions of the same RAW file and convert them both...
So then you have two open TIFF files in your photo editing program window. In Photoshop I pick one image to be background and one to put on top of it. For the one that goes on top of the background I do this: select all, copy, then close without saving. Now the background image is the only open file. I select all and paste into. After that, for starters, I'll usually switch the new layer from normal to luminosity and reduce opacity to 50%. After that initial look at both images together I can get a sense of exactly how I might best combine them using all the other tools available. There are certainly other ways to do this and hopefully somebody will come along and share.
Posted By: salden

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 10/13/07 03:03 PM

I hope you do not mind me playing. Here is my version:

I did manage to give it a halo on the oversharp. I have to watch that.
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: A Hawaiian Post Processing Challenge - 10/20/07 02:54 PM

Since I don't want to hijack this thread, I will star a new challenge................
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum