The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Photography Contests

Posted By: James Morrissey

Photography Contests - 11/25/07 05:58 AM

Hey,

I thought this might be an interesting question...Who here regularly enters photo contests? If so, which ones are you entering?

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Photography Contests - 11/26/07 05:16 AM

I used to, but photography stopped being a contest a while back for me. I usually don't like the image harvesting rules of most contests saying that they can use your image as they please just by entering the contest (no winning or reward offered) I can understand doing so for an image the winner(s) entered in consideration for the prixe offered....but not for every image entered.

So for me....not any more unless its like a club kinda thing and its good hearted sharing.

Roman
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Photography Contests - 11/26/07 08:38 PM

I have only submitted to one commercial contest and I have to agree with Roman in that I resent having to give rights away just to enter a contest.

No more for me unless a club thing (if I join a club)
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Photography Contests - 11/27/07 12:16 AM

I agree, why give your photos away just to enter a contest you probably won't win. DAve
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photography Contests - 11/27/07 04:01 AM

i just enter my own contests, it's great cause I win every time! ;-)
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Photography Contests - 11/27/07 04:02 AM

Quote:

I agree, why give your photos away just to enter a contest you probably won't win. Dave

Oh, I would've won!
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Photography Contests - 11/27/07 01:42 PM

I still do the local county fair and state fair. Mainly because my young son wants to do it and I want to keep him interested. So, we compete to see who does best each year. Sadly he's whipping me at the state level bad, LOL!!
Posted By: davidh4976

Re: Photography Contests - 12/31/07 06:52 PM

I routinely enter the twice monthly contest at my camera club. The best part of the contest is that the judging is done at the club meeting and everyone gets to hear the judge's critique of everyone's photos. The feedback is invaluable. I highly recommend participation in these sort of events.

I'm not terribly thrilled about the large contests. I'm not into photography for the competition.

David
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photography Contests - 12/31/07 07:03 PM

Dave is right, local photo contests that have qualified judges are very helpful!
Posted By: thedra

Re: Photography Contests - 12/31/07 09:18 PM

Go to the State Fair, mainly because it forces me to shoot things I don't normally shoot. Only one category for Nature Black and white and one color, Shoot architectural, people, etc. to make worth while going. Get a nice little check and I do mean little and friendly competition.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Photography Contests - 01/15/08 11:14 PM

I did many contests when first starting out; won many also but now only do the occasional contest if the rules are written to benefit the photographer and I need the exposure.

I first started with contests because I wanted to measure my work against others; once I started to win repeatedly, I stopped entering.
Posted By: kmorris

Re: Photography Contests - 02/03/08 05:21 AM

Hello all! I am fairly new to NWP, and fairly new to serious, though definitely amateur, photography, for that matter. I agree with what another reply to this post stated as far as being new; it is fun to measure your abilitites and see where you stand. In fact, I feel it is an important and necessary part of growth, especially in the early part of this endeavor to become a better photographer. But, sadly, it does seem that most "contests" you find on the web are actually just thinly veiled disguises to sell you something. Personally, at least so far, I have only entered contests at the County Fair, a local newspaper, and the monthly challenges in several forums on Nikonians.org (voted on by members, no prizes). At the local level I get to meet the other local photographers and develop relationships, and learn from them. On this forum and Nikonians I get to interact with and learn from some of the best photographers in North America. So, for me at least, a little challenge is a great way to improve my abilities. When I feel that I have advanced to the point that I get consistantly good results, I think it would be fun to enter a serious, respected competition.

Kelly
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum