The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Just got the D300.....

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Just got the D300..... - 12/01/07 02:04 PM

AMAZING camera...except one thing. Darned if 14bit files....and .jpg files from 14bit shooting mode (obviously converted down to 8bit for .jpg in the camera)make my 64bit Operating System crash while trying to render thumbnails.

If I shoot in 12 bit mode.....everything is absolutly fine.

They have a codec for 32bit operating systems...but not for 64bit. Wrote Nikon and hoping to get an answer soon.

Now...with all that asside...and I am sure I will get that taken care of soon....the camera ...well...lets just put it this way.....I am so glad I sold my D2X to get this unit. It is nothing short of a huge evolutionary step forward.

Would post some inital shots..but their all 14 bit so cant do anything with them right now....but plan on playing this week in 12bit mode to get a feel for it.

It is the FIRST camera I have started to trust the matrix metering on.

More to come later.

Roman
Posted By: glamson

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/01/07 05:16 PM

Quote:

AMAZING camera...except one thing. Darned if 14bit files....and .jpg files from 14bit shooting mode (obviously converted down to 8bit for .jpg in the camera)make my 64bit Operating System crash while trying to render thumbnails.

They have a codec for 32bit operating systems...but not for 64bit. Wrote Nikon and hoping to get an answer soon.

Now...with all that asside...and I am sure I will get that taken care of soon....the camera ...well...lets just put it this way.....I am so glad I sold my D2X to get this unit. It is nothing short of a huge evolutionary step forward.

Would post some inital shots..but their all 14 bit so cant do anything with them right now....but plan on playing this week in 12bit mode to get a feel for it.

More to come later.

Roman

Congrats Roman. Too bad about the 64bit codec. Part of that bleeding edge thing. I am really looking forward to you sharing your experiences with this new puppy. I'm waiting to pull the trigger myself. I just can't bring myself to become an early adopter of a brand new Nikon camera. I did it with the D70 and lost my camera for a month with BGLOD. Then there was the banding issue with early D200s. I have to admit it's getting harder and harder to hold back with all the things I'm reading about the D300. I'm sure your evaluation will be very valuable.

BTW: I guess you've noticed that things are getting pretty brutal over at DPR. Seems like you can't read a thread anymore without it degrading into personal attacks. Hopefully that will die down after all the new camera posts settle. I always enjoy you're posts over there.
Posted By: daveman

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/01/07 07:44 PM

Congrats Roman! I am sure you are going to have a blast with your new toy.

Of course, now that you have a new camera, that will mean your shots are no longer so much better than mine because:

... you have a such a great eye for composition ... or
... because you really understand how to capture the exposure that will bring out the best in the shot.... or
... because you seem to really know what you want out of a shot and are able to use your tools to obtain it... or
... because you know how to bring out the best detail contrast and colors with your post processing.

No - now that you have a new camera your shots will outshine mine simply because you have a better camera than me

Looking forward to seeing some shots!
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/01/07 09:06 PM

Quote:

No - now that you have a new camera your shots will outshine mine simply because you have a better camera than me

Funny!

I was shooting some pictures for a friend of mine who is a knifemaker. He was impressed with the quality and said, "Man you have great camera."
I looked at some of his beautiful knives and began to praise his anvil.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/02/07 04:00 AM

Hey Roman,

Congrats on the new camera. It looks like an awesome machine. Would you mind shooting some comparison shots at some point between 14 bit and 12 bit converted? Do you see a real difference?

James
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/03/07 02:35 AM

I like my 300 but it like the d200 dont like the cold. both shut down in sub zero temps. fought it all weekend. I shoot wildlife mainly, and cant have this keep happening. with gas $$$ and my time, i'm wasting way too much time with dead equipment when it gets cold. . .

Lost the focus on the 70-200 vr afs and the camera would not even stay on after about 20 minutes in -10 degrees.

My f5, 90, 100 and d70, and d2h never had these problems. sure the batteries would not last, but at least they would work.

Both the 200 and the 300 just are not made to shoot in the conditions I shoot. my shooting partners d200 ran out of gas too. . .

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/03/07 03:38 AM

Quote:

I like my 300 but it like the d200 dont like the cold. both shut down in sub zero temps. fought it all weekend. I shoot wildlife mainly, and cant have this keep happening. with gas $$$ and my time, i'm wasting way too much time with dead equipment when it gets cold. . .

Lost the focus on the 70-200 vr afs and the camera would not even stay on after about 20 minutes in -10 degrees.

My f5, 90, 100 and d70, and d2h never had these problems. sure the batteries would not last, but at least they would work.

Both the 200 and the 300 just are not made to shoot in the conditions I shoot. my shooting partners d200 ran out of gas too. . .

Tony,

Sounds like you're putting your D300 through some tough conditions. Sounds like you think it might be the battery? Maybe you need the MB-D10 battery pack. Then you could use the EN-EL4 which is about double the power of the 3e used in the D300. Think that might help?

Geo
Posted By: Darren Rowley

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/03/07 06:19 AM

Is that a common problem with the D200/300? I shoot a lot in the cold winter months and was looking at getting the D300.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 01:00 AM

I can't speak for the D3 or D300 as I haven't used them yet here in Alaska, but I do know several people that use the D200 and D2X here in Alaska in sub zero temps with no problems except shorter battery life.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 01:02 AM

got all that, but what I have not done, is I have not yet tried AA's. the mbd10 comes with a AA holder, i'll have to give that a try and see if the alalkines do better . . .

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 04:04 AM

i would not say its a common problem. i've been in arguments across the www with people who claim to use the d200 at sub zero without any problems. . . I've had mine in twice for service, nikon wont even test it below 32 degrees because they did not build it to be used below that and they wont warranty the camera outside the specks. . .

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 04:52 AM

Tony,
Are you a member of NPS? E-mail me privately and I will see if I can get you some help on your camera.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 10:26 PM

Hey Guys,

Congrats on the new cameras. Do you guys see a real difference between 12 bit and 14 bit images?

James

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/04/07 11:32 PM

hey dave, I am a member of NPS. I also have used NPS, so thanks for the help!

I just dont know what to do about nikon's sub park cold weather bodies.

I have to keep trying to get them to work. . .
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/05/07 01:30 PM

Quote:

Tony,

Wow, what a shame. I had an old Minolta body that be good for about 1 shot in freezing temps before it shut down, very frustrating. I've been lucky with my Canon 30D. I spent time last winter shooting it at below -20 for several hours with no problem. At least, no problem if I watch where my breath goes LOL!! Froze over the viewfinder once with my stupidity. Your post now has me wondering if my 5D will hold up in the cold this winter. Hope you find some resolution to your problem.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/05/07 02:14 PM

Ya know...I would shoot Moose Peterson an e-mail and see if he has anything to say about it...or point you to somone who might have some idea or at least confirmation of your situation.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/home.html

Roman

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/05/07 03:48 PM

Moose just got done using the D3 in Montana and Maine and didn't have any issues. David Cardinal is in Cambodia using the D3 and the D300 with no issues so far.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/05/07 08:01 PM

thanks! I'm now looking for a camera that can stand up to the cold. . .

I'll be doing my research now. . .

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/05/07 08:29 PM

I just shot Mike at NPS an email, I'll shoot one over to MP too, thanks for the advise!

Tony

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/06/07 12:58 PM

"Lost the focus on the 70-200 vr afs and the camera would not even stay on after about 20 minutes in -10 degrees. "

Hey Tony,

Even though none of the non-pro bodies are built to that temp specs that you deal with on a regular basis in Montana, that seems a bit short to me. How have you been handling the situation? Just keeping lots of batteries on hand and some pocket warmers?

James

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/06/07 01:45 PM

no, nothing works, really, it sucks. Nikon just told me yesterday, "it's not the camera's it's the batteries."

Okay, this is where I part company with salesmen. I'm a photographer not a BS artist. Are they expecting me to say, "oh, well, if it's just the battery I'll get over it." Dont pee on my shoes and then tell me it's raining.

In any event they told me to keep the batteries warm and change them often. HEY NIKON, THAT DONT WORK - DONT PATRONIZE ME, DONT YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT? I have 6 batteries and swapped them out but for some reason it did not make much difference. Sure, i got a couple clicks, but what am I going to do ask my subjects to hold still until I get my gear up to operating temps or change the battery every three minutes - heck the cameras stopped working before the cold battery got warm in my shirt pocket!

as you can tell, i'm still upset by this. I just cant believe it. I must find a better solution.

BTW, i even shoved two hand warmes inside my d200's grip right next to one of the batteries and it did not work.

Keep the batteries warm, okay, but i need more than about three minutes of power, give me a break.

I have one more thing to try. I'm going to use AA's in the grips and see how that works.

Sorry for being so rude, but i'm very mad about this. I WILL DROP nikon if I find that canons can operate at least for a few minutes in the cold!

I'm going to give the new olympus a run and see how it performs. . .

Update: nikon is sending me it's ONLY Blimp case (insulated cover for the camera made to deaden the sound, but it may work for cold as well and at least help get a bit more life from the camera) for a try out, they said I cant buy it because it's the only one NIKON has. . . What. . . ? I'm serious. . .
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/08/07 04:41 AM

Tony,

Just checking in to see if you found any resolution. Looks like you tried the only other thing I've done in the past. I used to have to shoot my old Minolta 7xi with a handwarmer rubberbanded to the body by the battery but I see you tried that. You know back in the day I was an electronic tech in the Army. Sometimes a bad solder joint would fail in extreme cold as the metal contracted. I'd keep pushing Nikon for resolution on these. I can't count the number of times we fixed devices just be reflowing the solder on circuit cards or connectors. Heck, even in my current job with a defense contractor we utilize environmental chambers to test devices for all kinds of conditions.

As I mentioned before, my 30D handled -20 for hours last winter shooting birds and such. I was actually a bit surprised at how well the one battery (no grip then) held up. Any problems I had were related to me breathing onto the frozen body. In fact on at least two occasions the rear thumb wheel went out from my breathing on them. This caused problems for me in adjusting exposure compensation.

I don't know much about Nikons but is it possible to power them via an external battery pack that could be kept warm inside a jacket? I know that can be restrictive but it's just an idea. One other thought, if you are using a grip with both of them is the performance better without it? Even though we would expect the grips to perform better with dual batteries (assuming they are like my Canon's) maybe the grips are failing in the cold, not the bodies themselves. My 30D's grip seems much lighter in contruction than the actual body and maybe they just don't insulate the battery as well, just a thought.

Jim
Posted By: Darren Rowley

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/10/07 06:18 PM

Roman (and others with the D300), how do the RAW files look to you? There is a lot of discussion out there that the D300 jpegs are amazing but RAW with no NR is very noisy. What is your experience and could you make available some RAW's at various iso's? I do expect RAW to have more noise than jpeg, but with NR turned off in the camera and in RAW converters, I'm wondering how things turn out. I've also seen ISO 100 with less detail than ISO 200 in jpeg, but I'm curious how iso 100 RAW looks compared to iso 200.

I'm looking for real world results of real photography with the D300. I'm tired of looking at side by side comparisons of shots from different brands. I mean, the last time I was shooting a mountain stream there wasn't a teddy bear, or a kitchen table, or a bottle of vodka in my shot. Although, considering that some of my shots are out of focus might have been a result of vodka. lol!

I just want to know how the D300 handles this in and of itself and how it will effect my workflow once I get the D300. I don't want a comparison to any other camera, AT ALL. So, please, lets not turn this thread into Canon vs Nikon thread.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/10/07 08:21 PM

ISO 200 would look better than ISO 100 since ISO 200 is the sensors native base. As far as the jpegs versus NEF, the jpegs are made from the NEF using the camera settings. The NEF being a raw format won't be using the camera settings. To judge the NEF vs jpeg, make sure that you use a raw convertor that shows the NEF using the camera settings. A lot of raw convertors do not use the camera settings when showing NEFS. As far as examples, there are plenty on the web from reputable professional photographers. You may want to check out D1scussion or NikonDigital.org. Those forums are more working professionals than amateurs and the info is generally rock solid.

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/11/07 02:28 AM

Tony....you might want to read this thread....seems like it was performing like a champ for somone else at -30 Centegrade....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25975849

Wondering if you have a bum camera?!?

Roman

Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 04:40 PM

Quote:

Tony,

Roman may be right, you may have a defective D300. Here is another thread from a guy shooting successfully in pretty cold weather.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25973977

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:11 PM

It's the camera, well, the batteries. I'm not suggesting that people are being less than truthful about their use of the d300 in the cold, but I know now that it's the batteries. Few people spend much time with their gear outside in sub zero. Most are out for a few minutes and then back to the car or buss, even fewer are using long lenses with VR like the 200-400, some retreat to a house or a building or, it's not quite as cold as they think it is. The bottom line is that each situation is different I'm sure humidity even plays some part.

I along with another world class cold weather photographer have been doing some extensive testing, and the results show that it's the enel3e batteries. His detailed battery test results first keyed me into doing more research.

Anyway, the enel3e's are almost useless after 1/2hour at -15 or below. At around zero they discharge to 12-15% in about 40 minutes. Also, the 200-400 afs vr has a good deal of draw. so couple zero battery life at -15 and a big draw from the 200-400 and whala, dead camera. . . Ive been able to replicate this both in real time and in the lab - well, the lab for the lab test is the deep freeze and the real time tests is the bush of glacier park and southern alberta.

Now that I'be got the bl3 door i'll test again with the enel4 and the aa alkalines. . . I'll bet I have a lot better luck with the enel4 battery, the enel3's just cant take negative temps for very long. . .

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:20 PM

Quote:

It's the camera, well, the batteries. I'm not suggesting that people are being less than truthful about their use of the d300 in the cold, but I know now that it's the batteries. Few people spend much time with their gear outside in sub zero. Most are out for a few minutes and then back to the car or buss, even fewer are using long lenses with VR like the 200-400, some retreat to a house or a building or, it's not quite as cold as they think it is.

I along with another world class cold weather photographer have been doing some extensive testing, and the results show that it's the enel3e batteries. His resultes first keyed me into doing more research.

Anyway, the enel3e's are almost useless after 1/2hour at -15 or below. At around zero they discharge to 12-15% in about 40 minutes. Also, the 200-400 afs vr has a good deal of draw. so couple zero battery life at -15 and a big draw from the 200-400 and whala, dead camera. . . Ive been able to replicate this both in real time and in the lab - well, the deep freeze with 10 different batteries.

Now that I'be got the bl3 door i'll test again with the enel4 and the aa alkalines. . .

Tony,

I guess I'm the guy you're describing in the first paragraph. I'm definitely looking for the car after about 10 minutes at sub zero.

Very interesting to hear about your battery research. I'm not surprised that the 3e's are fairly anemic. They never struck me at real powerhouses. I'm interested in what you find with the enel4 and the alkalines. Please post when you find out.

Thanks,
Geo

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:32 PM

Tony,
Did you try the ENEL-3 and compare it to the ENEL-3e?

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:34 PM

I have not tried the older enel3's although Dave makes a great point. I'll go throw them in the deep freeze right now!

I'm not really speaking of anyone in particular, but I do have enough cold weather shooting time that I've realized that my problems never ocure until I'm out for at least an hour. In and out of the truck or the like seems to add just enough warmth to keep things moving along. So i'm as guilty as anyone but more recently I've been spending extended periods outside, gear fully exposed to the snow, wind and sub zero temps. . .

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:42 PM

Just realized that testing the older enel3 wont get me much as I cant test the power of the battery and they dont fit in the d200 or the d300. . . .

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/11/07 11:51 PM

Sorry about that Tony, I thought you could use the older batteries and just lost the fuel gauge.

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/12/07 12:18 AM

Ok...well if it is the battery, buying the battery/grip upgrad will help significantly....as from what I understand it uses a very diffrent battery in it...(more like...if not exactly like the D3/D2X)

ANyone look into that?

Roman

Re: Just got D300-4Tony - 12/12/07 12:25 AM

I have the grip, I have all the batteries, including the enel4's so now it's just a matter of testing. . . I was waiting for the special bl3 door which there are none of in the entire USA, they are gone and on back order. They cost about 40 bucks and I see there's one on ebay for 80 and there's still a couple days left.

Anyhow, mine will be here tomorrow so I can begin testing the enel4 AND enel3. the biggest issue I see is that NO MATTER WHAT, YOU HAVE TO USE THE ENEL3 IN THE BODY, TO GET FULL BENEFIT OF THE GRIP, if the enel3's cant stand up to the cold, your not going to get full performance. I can live with that, mainly i'm trying to figure out a reliable system. . .

BTW, take a couple enel3's out and throw them in your freezer, after an hour take them out, shove them in your camera and check their power. . .

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 12:30 AM

Quote:

Ok...well if it is the battery, buying the battery/grip upgrad will help significantly....as from what I understand it uses a very diffrent battery in it...(more like...if not exactly like the D3/D2X)

ANyone look into that?

Roman

Roman,

I know this thread is getting a little long, but this was discussed already. Tony does have the grip, but I think he has only used the enel3e batteries in it (Tony correct me if I'm wrong here). I think he is about to test the enel4 which is the one that goes in the D3 and was in the D2x. This one is about twice the power of the enel3e. Also, since the grip will also use alkalines, that may be better in the cold than the enels. Tony should be able to enlighten us soon from what I gather from his posting.

BTW Roman, how is the evaluation of the D300 going?

Geo

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/12/07 12:33 AM

Its going...lol! Testing focus adjustments today...just downloaded a target and will start to play with it (will post target link in the review)

Guessing will have it all written up by the end of the year over the christmas holiday.

Roman

Re: Just got the D300..... - 12/12/07 01:12 AM

Actually here is the link for anyone wanting to test their focus adjustments.

http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html

Roman

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 01:43 AM

Quote:

Also, since the grip will also use alkalines, that may be better in the cold than the enels. Tony should be able to enlighten us soon from what I gather from his posting.

Geo

I doubt that the AA Alkalines will give better cold weather performance than the Lithium-Ions. Lithiums were designed to give better cold weather performance than Alkalines. I think what Tony's conlusion will be is that the ENEL-3 series batteries are under powered for the D200/D300 in the cold. If Nikon made an ENEL-3 battery with a higher miAH rating, he probably wouldn't have a problem. At least with the ENEL-4, he has a higher miAH rating to survive the cold.

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 02:32 AM

I dont know if anyone else thought of this...but has anyone seen this?

http://www.qtm.com/Turbo/?contenykey=Tur...amp;res_set=yes

Powers cameras as well as flash....so might be an option?

Roman

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 02:33 PM

I have given that some thought. I sent them an email asking about the product and what options I have for the d300. . .

As for the cold weather performance of the AA, my lab tests on them confirm that they do not drain down like the lithiums. In fact, at around zero and down to -15 f, my external meter shows them losing very little if any power! I left the batteries in the freezer for 8 hours and tested them on an external tester, after 8 hours they showed full charge on the meter. I put them in the camera and they worked, I did not test how many images I could get with them at that temp, but I should.

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 03:12 PM

Quote:

I have given that some thought. I sent them an email asking about the product and what options I have for the d300. . .

As for the cold weather performance of the AA, my lab tests on them confirm that they do not drain down like the lithiums. In fact, at around zero and down to -15 f, my external meter shows them losing very little if any power! I left the batteries in the freezer for 8 hours and tested them on an external tester, after 8 hours they showed full charge on the meter. I put them in the camera and they worked, I did not test how many images I could get with them at that temp, but I should.

Tony,

I am surprised the alkalines did so well. I agree with Dave that lithiums are touted as being far superior to alkalines in the cold. Here is a test by someone at backpaker

http://www.backpacker.com/article/2645

My only thought about the alkalines doing a little better than the enel3e was that 8 alkalines will give higher output than a single enel3. The best output might be to use 8 lithium AAs instead of alkalines?

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 03:26 PM

you and me both. I did not have any lithiums in the house, so I use the alkalines. It surprised me too, in fact it surprised as much as did the results from the enel3e tests! I would never have guessed that they would drain down soo fast in relatively cold conditions. . . I mean 15 dgrees aint exactly cold, but after about 45 minutes at 15% your down to about 15% battery. . . .

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 04:56 PM

Tony,
While you are cold weather testing batteries, why not try some AA NiMH rechargables?

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 05:49 PM

Okay, I'll try, I have about 60 2500 mAh energizers.

The thing I hate about them is that they dont hold a charge very long, in fact I think it's about 2-3% per 24 hours, so in a week and a half or so they are almost useless. I've given up on them for that reason. I used to use them in my sb 800's and for my nikon battery supply - dont remember the number or the name, but you know what I'm talking about. . .

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 07:42 PM

I know what you mean about the self discharge. I have gotten into the habit of charging them just before a job. Part of my routine. I have been using the Sony 2500 mAH and they seem to work better than Kodak 2500mAH. Never used the Energizer. I also like the neat battery case the Sony's come in. I have 5 in the flash, 5 in my pocket and any used ones in the charger. I just keep rotating them from charger to pocket , to flash and back to the charger. That way the 20 I own is used the same number of times.
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 07:54 PM

Energizers are notoriously short lived (at least they used to be). Radio Shack NiMHs have historically had the longest life.

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 08:00 PM

I have about the same life with Radio Shack as I do with Kodak. The Sony's last longer for me (could be the cold here in Alaska).

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 09:10 PM

you should get you one of those nikon battery packs, they are awesome!

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/12/07 09:20 PM

Tony,
You going to sell me your SD-8a?

Re: Just got D300-4Roman - 12/13/07 01:48 AM

LOL - that's the one, no, I will use it over christmas and I've been doing two weddings a year now for two years, also, I've been shooting corperate events and it's really nice to have.

One caution, and it's a huge caution!

If you attached the battery pack to your body, which you should, just dont forget it's there. I did. I set my d2h with a 24-70 2.8 afs, an sb800, all attached to a strobo frame, down on a 4 and a half foot tall bar, and turned around to help the groom with his tie and pulled the camera off the bar and completely destroyed the lens - I mean springs and electronics went flying. . . The camera also was dead, but about a week later she came back to life and she's still working great!

Just got D300-Reviews - 12/14/07 08:19 PM

Quote:

More to come later.

Roman

While the DPR review of the D300 isn't out yet, there are a couple of lighter weight reviews that are of interest.

http://www.scottkelby.com/ (very lightweight)

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4911/camera-test-nikon-d300.html

Best of the bunch is DCRP review at

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d300-review/index.shtml

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/14/07 08:23 PM

I dont like how the control dial on the back wont change the aperture unless first you press the shutter half way down, annoying!!!!!

Also, I like the auto focus but I dont like the fact that the in area 3d continuous the "area" does not light up, and, in single servo 51 pt 3d, closes subject setting with the switch on the back, none of the focus indicator lights illuminate. . .

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/14/07 09:25 PM

Got the bl-3 today, i'm going to test the enel4's over the weekend. . . .

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/17/07 01:12 AM

Hey Tony,

How have things been going with the D300? I hope that they are improved?

James

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/17/07 04:09 AM

I think I've got the battery issues dealt with, for now. However, we have not had sub zero temps for a week or so.

I still have having issues with my 200-400 and the 70-200, i may just have to send them in for some tuning!

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/17/07 04:47 PM

Hey Tony,

So is the issue the camera body or the lenses, or both?

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/20/07 01:38 PM

Hey Tony,
there's a review of the D300 on the Photographyblog by Dutch wildlife photography Jan Vermeer who tested it in Antartica. Thought you might find it interesting.

Here's the link: photographblog

Happy shooting in sub-zero. Weather in Orlando today: 80 degrees and sunny. I have to mow the lawn .

Jim

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 12/20/07 05:38 PM

My yard has a 1/2" of ice on it but it warmed up today as it is -5F.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/15/08 11:30 PM

When working in Siberia, I used a "digital camera battery" external battery packed next to my body with a cord connecting to the camera, never had a problem with cold with this system. Worked for 4-12 hours at -40 C and below.

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/15/08 11:32 PM

great, would you mind posting for us what unit you used and what body you used it on, and where you purchased it?

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/15/08 11:50 PM

It was last year, I was shooting canon, using a 30D

You can get "digital camera battery" from many sources including this link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41...ttery_Pack.html

There are many models, I used the 40W model. If traveling overseas, get the proper charger, the 110V charger will not work with an inverter.

I did not look to see if they have cables for the new D300, if not, they should soon

I found the "DCB" much better with the cold than Quantum and other brands.

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/16/08 12:25 AM

Thanks for that, I was considering the new quantum turbo but will look into the one's you posted. . .

Thanks again,

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/16/08 01:40 AM

I have not reviewed the new turbo but was happy with the DCB

Re: Just got D300-Reviews - 01/16/08 01:19 PM

I own the digital camera battery as well. It is a great product - though if I did it again, I would get the smallest one available these days. I was able to run the flash off the battery for an entire wedding back in the days where I used a lot of flash to do my work. The extra weight does get irritating after a couple of hours.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum