The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

The 50mm Challenge

Posted By: Jim Garvie

The 50mm Challenge - 05/12/08 11:16 AM

Last week when discussing self-assignments, Bob (Wallyspop) suggested that maybe we should limit ourselves to a 50 mm lens for a day. So I accepted -- I actually love shooting with my 50 -- and used it for the weekend. Here are a few images from my weekend excursions.

One of the things I use my 50 for a lot are portraits, especially head & shoulders with diffuse OOF backgrounds. Here's a shot of my main model, Rowdy, taken on a small jetty at Lake Toho in Kissimmee.

If you're in the right place at the right time, you can even capture wildlife with it. Again, from Lake Toho.

Primarily, however, the 50 is a great walk-around lens because it's so small and light. Here I used it on the beach in Cocoa to capture a pile of flotsam.

And, when scouting out some abandoned buildings for possible portrait locations.

And, finally, for full-body portraits where you want to include more of the background. A shot of Rowdy at a Gazebo near the Lake.

Using a light, fast, sharp lens like the 50 makes you appreciate not only the qualities of a prime but also the way it makes you look at your subject matter more critically because you can't just zoom and crop. It was a fun exercise and I'd love to do something like this again.

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/12/08 06:14 PM

Hey Jim,

50 being my favorite lens! I was not able to do this last weekend, but will definitely take a stab at it on Sunday. The question I have for you is - looking back at it, did you capture what you wanted, or were you looking for something else?

James

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/12/08 10:46 PM

James,
in general, I captured what I wanted. I would have loved more time for a few more portraits and I would have liked to do some macro shots with the 50 and extension tubes but within the confines of trying to have a "normal" Mothers Day weekend, I managed to capture the versatility of the lens which was my objective.

I wanted to get some shots of Cassidy a week before she delivers but there just wasn't time. She's looking very pregnant at the moment! Again, the 50 is a great little lens and it is always fun to just carry the camera without battery pack and that light little 50 and act like a tourist at the beach.

I'll get a few more this week. It's still on the camera.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/13/08 01:20 AM

Hey Jim,

May I ask what you are shooting with for a body? I have the 20d, and find that the 50 is often just a bit longer than I want. Having said that, there is no question how versatile (sp) the lens is. I wish that other primes were as fast and cost effective (i.e. the 85 F1.2, for example).

Cheers
James

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/13/08 11:19 AM

James,
I shoot it primarily on a 30D and out of the studio, it's fine as a portrait lens and pretty good for just about anything else. In a studio or somebody's home, I think you have to go with a zoom that gives you something wider. I usually use a 17-40L or the 28-135IS.

Having recently gotten the 85mm F1.8, however, I don't really think of the 50 as being too long. In 35mm days, it would be the ideal focal length on a crop body like the 20D/30D.

But beyond the IQ, which is very high, what I love is the size and weight. It makes for one remarkably light travel camera/lens combo if you don't mind not having the flexibility of a zoom. I'll use it with extension tubes for macro and with a Kenko 1.5X Telextender for medium telephoto (yes it actually will auto focus with that extender) and sometimes with both for major macro.

It's a nice, fun little lens that takes you back to the good old days when a 50 was perfectly acceptable for almost anything you needed to shoot.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/14/08 04:05 AM

"I'll use it with extension tubes for macro and with a Kenko 1.5X Telextender for medium telephoto (yes it actually will auto focus with that extender) and sometimes with both for major macro. "

Can you show some samples where you have done this as a macro?

Thanks
James
Posted By: Grey_Wolf

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/14/08 05:15 AM

Very nice shots - Im still at very early stage of getting to know my new cam. But the time will probably come when i get another lens. Until then Ill keep to my standard 18 - 55.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/15/08 01:13 AM

Jim's previous post about self assignments caught my eye because I have been remiss about doing the work necessary to become proficient with my new digital equipment since returning to SLR Photography. I have been telling myself for quite some time that making up assignments for myself is exactly what I need to do to get back into some kind of creative form. Otherwise, I'll just end up with more expensive vacation snapshots.

When I saw this thread, I decided that now was a good time to do it. So, I pulled out the only 50 mm prime lens I own -- an f/1.4 SMC Takumar lens from my old film days, slapped it on my Olympus Evolt 510 dSLR, and trotted off to Saguaro National Park (East) to capture some images. (Its only about 15 minutes away from my house.) Like Jim, I left the two kit lenses (14-42mm & 40-150mm) and my 50-200mm zoom behind.

I had a very frustrating afternoon, but it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I had a lot of trouble focusing accurately and eventually gave up trying to use low f/stops for selective focus. (The sun was too bright to use the live view magnification to focus with.) I ended up setting the lens on f/8 and focusing about 1/3 into the scene in order to come up with some useable images.

The second thing I noticed was that I had to think more about composition on each each shot, and of course I had to zoom with my feet instead of the lens.

When I first started doing photography in the mid-sixties, almost nobody had a zoom lens, and most folks thought of them as almost like cheating somehow. Now that I think back on it, I did do a lot more running around for each shot back then.

These images are not very good composition wise, but at least two of them are in focus.

Posted By: jamesdak

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/15/08 01:24 AM

Jim,

That Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is an awesome lens. I use mine on both my cropped and FF DSLRs. It has given me some really wonderful images.

Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/15/08 06:57 AM

Quote:

Jim,

That Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is an awesome lens. I use mine on both my cropped and FF DSLRs. It has given me some really wonderful images.

Jim,

I think you are right. I'm taking it back out again this week for more practice.

Tucson Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/15/08 11:19 AM

Jim & Jim,
Frankly, I've never had a bad 50 since I began shooting in 1969. Having said that, I adopted the old Nikon 46-83 Zoom as my prime lens in the 70s and opted for convenience over image quality. I guess that use of a standard zoom has stuck with me over the years. But when I want the best image possible, I go with primes and my 50 is a really nice alternative.

The fact that it slows you down is not all bad. You do have to think about composition and angle more. You do have to move around more. But I feel more connected to the session when I use my primes. It's hard to explain but sometimes photography should be work! I think it makes you value the results more.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/15/08 11:27 AM

James,

Quote:

Can you show some samples where you have done this as a macro?

Here's one with the 50 and a 12mm tube. I'll try to get a few more with the combo of tubes and telextender and share them.

More later,

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/16/08 03:25 AM

Yes, slow down and working the comp is very satisfying. I've only got one zoom , 3 AF lenses and another 12 primes that are manual focus and adapted to my EOS bodies. I feel I am doing the best work ever now with those slow old primes.

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/16/08 11:42 AM

It really does depend on what you're doing: when I shoot dog shows, speed and flexibility are essential. I don't have the luxury of taking my time. It's all about timing and capturing the moment.

However, when I'm shooting just for my own personal pleasure and vision, taking my time is really an enjoyable change from the hectic action in the ring. It's why I love to shoot macro. Manual focus and several angles and different lighting -- it's really fun to experiment.

I read an article from a really outstanding landscape photographer (no, not Roman, but it could have been) and he was describing the painstaking details of setting up, locking the mirror, leveling the tripod, framing oh so carefully. And the results certainly prove the process -- just gorgeous images.

That's not the way I shoot when I'm working. But it's a style of shooting that I'd like to master. After 40 years as a photographer, I can honestly say I've never shot mirror-up . So, maybe it's time to try that too. When I'm shooting just for me, slowing down is truly a pleasure.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/17/08 04:45 AM

Hey Jim,

The macro shot is really cool. I look forward to seeing more samples as you get them. I did not know that it was possible to convert a lens like the 50 so easily. The extension tubes are pretty affordable as well, yes?

James

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/17/08 11:45 AM

James,
you ought to see them with the 85! My Kenko tubes cost about $170 for a set of 3. A friend was wondering what to get her daughter who is graduating, has Canon digital gear and really loves photography and loves to get close to things. We discussed the macro lens options then I suggested the extension rings as a low-cost option now so that if she really wanted to go whole hog with macro, she'd have the option of buying a dedicated lens later. She decided that was the right answer.

Clearly, you get sharper images overall with a dedicated macro lens. But when you combine a good, sharp prime or zoom (like the 70-200) with moderate tubes, you can get some really cool images. Here's one I took of my neighbor's Bird Of Paradise with the 70-200 and a 12mm tube.

I find that things like extension tubes and telextenders let you "extend" (pun intended) the range of your lenses and capture images that you would not be able to capture otherwise. A few months back, I tested the 100 macro against the 85 for portraits with the added benefit that it would do great macro. It's a wonderful, sharp lens. But I decided that I really needed the speed and OOF image quality of the 85. Now, when I use the 85 with tubes stopped down to F11, I find that it's a really sharp combination on its own.

BTW, I've blown both of those macro images up to 16X20 and display them in the studio. They look awesome.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 05/17/08 01:52 PM

Yes, the shoot situation does dictate equipment used. That why I have the few AF lenses I have. I actually need to get a standard range AF but keep putting it off.

I have a tendancy to use MLU pretty much anytime I'm on a tripod. Even yesterday while shooting some 135mm and a 180mm on a tripod with speeds probably no lower than 1/500. I fugure with MLU and a remote I eliminate any chance of movement and those should get images plenty sharp for large printing. I also use a two-axis bubble level that slides into my hot shoe to level the body. This lets me frame tighter without having to leave room to rotate and crop an image to level it.

I think the fun in slowing down and really working an image is what drove me to manual focus gear a few years back. It gave me more of the feel I enjoyed shooting my MF gear. Now with the manual focus lenses and stop down metering needs with what I am shooting today, it is that same pleasant experience.
Posted By: Jim Rickards

Another Self Assignment - 05/18/08 03:48 PM

I like the self assignment idea. I did it when I first bought a DSLR and shot only with the Canon 50mm f1.4 for a few months.
I purchased an 85mm f1.8 a few weeks back and took it on a stroll through downtown Utica NY while my car was fitted with a new windsheild. Here are a few of the shots:

I let the shutter speed drop in a few of these.
The first is the new chandelier in the Stanley Theatre, and the next is a path at a church, shot through the fence.

Re: Another Self Assignment - 05/18/08 06:29 PM

Nice, Jim. How are you liking that 85?

Jim
Posted By: Jim Rickards

Re: Another Self Assignment - 05/18/08 10:03 PM

I like it. Great lens as far as I can tell.

Re: Another Self Assignment - 05/19/08 01:16 AM

Jim,
yeah, I like it too. Very sharp and lovely bokeh. I need to use it for some indoor dog shooting but for portraits, it's lovely.

That's another one I like to take out and shoot for an assignment just like the one you did. But I'd like to focus (literally) on people and pets. I'll try it once my girl drops her puppies this week. In fact, maybe I'll use it to take some very early puppy shots.

Jim

Re: The 50mm Challenge - 06/05/08 11:51 PM

James,
I intended to post some pics of the 50 with both tubes and TC but got tied up with the puppies. Sorry about that.

Here's a shot with just the 50 at minimum focusing distance.

Next, here's a shot with the 50 plus a 12 mm tube.

And, finally, the 50 plus 12 mm tube and 1.4 Canon Telextender. Keep in mind that the telextender can't be mounted directly to the lens so it goes after the tube.

This combination won't take the place of a dedicated macro lens but it works just fine. You need to be aware that you lose at least a stop of light with each addition of either a tube or a TC. That's important if you're shooting manually with strobe as I was here.

While I like what I can get with this combo -- and with the 85 as well -- I'm still considering getting either the 100/f2.8 macro or the 60/f2.8 macro. Having a lens that works as a "normal" lens and still will focus down to 1:1 is really nice. More convenient than changing lenses, tubes and TCs. It's more a matter of convenience than image quality in my opinion.

Anyway, here are the shots using the 50. I did the same with the 85 with similar results and a bit more magnification.

Enjoy,

Jim

Attached picture 15779-Hibuscus50-12-14.jpg
Posted By: glamson

50mm Challenge - variation - 06/06/08 04:46 PM

Jim,

I know this is not exactly in the spirit of using this lens for its intended purpose, but I have found my 50mm to be
great for medium to long distance panos. It is amazing how much detail I can get when you combine multiple images with
this super sharp lens. The 50mm focal length can be
somewhat limiting in some pano situations, but when it isn't, the panos are great. There is far less distortion of
the pano panels and the stitching is usually flawless. Here is one I took of the San Diego skyline. You can't really
appreciate it from this low res web version, but the detail in the buildings in the original is impressive.

Geo

Re: 50mm Challenge - variation - 06/06/08 07:37 PM

Geo,
wow, very cool. How many images did you stitch together for that image? Even at web-resolution, the detail is incredible.

Jim
Posted By: glamson

Re: 50mm Challenge - variation - 06/06/08 08:23 PM

Quote:

Geo,
wow, very cool. How many images did you stitch together for that image? Even at web-resolution, the detail is incredible.

Jim

Jim,

This only about 70% of the entire pano which was 11 photos, so I guess this would be about 7 photos and change. I cut off the newer area of SD which has alot of ugly construction cranes.

Geo

Re: 50mm Challenge - variation - 06/09/08 02:17 PM

Quote:

Jim,

I know this is not exactly in the spirit of using this lens for its intended purpose, but I have found my 50mm to be
great for medium to long distance panos. It is amazing how much detail I can get when you combine multiple images with
this super sharp lens. The 50mm focal length can be
somewhat limiting in some pano situations, but when it isn't, the panos are great. There is far less distortion of
the pano panels and the stitching is usually flawless. Here is one I took of the San Diego skyline. You can't really
appreciate it from this low res web version, but the detail in the buildings in the original is impressive.

Geo

Geo,

I agree with your comments about detail when stitching shots. I do that a lot myself lately. I tend to use longer lens though. This weekend I shot panos with a 90/2.8, and 100/2.0, a 135/2.8 and a 180/3.4. 8 shots from the 180/3.4 gave me a image cropped down slightly of 51" x 13". The detail in the distant mountains is great. I printed a full size cropped section of the print as a test and you can clearly see birds flying that were over 200 yards off. I also use the same method to shot a more standard square or rectangular image. This has allowed me to all but retire my medium format gear.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum