The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

The Somme - By Jorge Kemner

Posted By: James Morrissey

The Somme - By Jorge Kemner - 08/31/08 05:20 PM

My thanks to Jorge Kemner for writing this article for NWP. It is a bit different fare than what we typically publish, and I hope that everyone likes it!

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2008_Articles/kemner/kemner.php

James
Posted By: barry t s

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner - 08/31/08 11:33 PM

Very moving.

I have visited all the WW2 Normandy sites & memorial gardens, including the American Cemetary at Omaha Beach + the British one at Bayeaux & the German Bunkers at Pont de Hoc, which were taken by the US Rangers by fierce hand to hand fighting with Wehrmacht & Waffen SS forces. It was a Scramble up Cliffs under heavy German fire with large losses to both sides.
Will go to Northern France/Belgium one day & pay my respects to the veterans of the Great War.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner - 09/04/08 12:38 PM

Thanks, Barry for your thoughts.

James
Posted By: jorg

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner - 09/04/08 05:25 PM

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the reaction. Nice to hear that the article moves you. I guess that was the feeling i had there constantly.

I havent yet visited the d-day sites but I plan on going there soon, as well as the memorials and cemeteries in Holland.

Greets,
Jorg
Posted By: barry t s

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner - 09/08/08 10:16 PM

I have been to the Dutch Island of Walcheren on two occasions, also. It is an Island connected to the mainland by a peninsula, just north of the mouth of the river Scheldt, the gateway to Antwerp in northern Belgium. Dwight D Eisenhower tasked General Montgomery to capture Antwerp from the Germans, as it was one of the key ports in Europe at the time & was vital for landing more allied fuel & supplies to fuel the allied push into Holland & eventually Germany itself. The coastal German defenses on Walcheren consisted of guns as large as 8.5" in concrete emplacements with roof's 14feet thick! British warships Warspite & Erebus shelled the German guns from 13 miles offshore with their 8" guns & failed to put them out of action. Many shells landed inland, landing on Dutch civilian area's. The Royal Airforce bombed the Dykes that drain the Island & caused heavy flooding, the Dutch climbed onto their house roof's to escape the flooding & many drowned. The Germans moved their troops & equipment onto the coastal Sand Dunes that protected the Island from the Sea. My father was a Royal Marine & 47 RM Commando (his group) + 48 RMC, Canadian, Norwegian, Free Belgium & Polish troops were forced to land there. They landed in "little ships". These were converted boats with light guns mounted on them. The German guns made light work of them & many sank. "Buffalo" and "Weasel" amphibious tracked landing vehicles (LVT's..landing vehicle tracked)were also used. These were made of 5mm plate, unarmed & offered little protection against even a machine gun. Many of them were shot up & sank & many drowned. They could only move at 5 knots in the water & some couldn't cope with the river current. Eventually, 10,000 German troops surrendered & Antwerp fell to the Allies.Over 700 Royal Marines died there, along with many Canadian's, Poles, Belgium's & Norwegians. The surviving Marines & families still go every year in early November to pay respects & lay wreaths in honour of fallen comrades, a wreath is always dedicated to the many Dutch who were bombed & drowned during this action. The reception from the people of Walcheren is always outstanding & the veterans are honoured every time. I have been to civil receptions in Middelburg (island capital) & Westkapelle.

If you contact Marc de Bolster...Elzendreef 29, 2272 CG Voorburg, Netherlands or e-mail- m.de.bolster@xs4all.nl he will tell you alot about it, Jorg. website www.47commando.org.uk is interesting too.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum