The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough?

Posted By: James Morrissey

Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/23/08 05:19 PM

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased some 8 GB CF cards for an event I shot. I used only 3 cards - amazing. Given the massive megapixel growth we have just witnessed during this season though, the question is....if you had to purchase today, what would you get?

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/23/08 05:28 PM

I shoot 16GB cards unless I happen to run off without them, then I use my older 8GB spares. As soon as the Sandisk 32GB cards are available and budget permits, I'll be getting four of them. I think the Lexar 32GB cards are out now, so if I had to buy today, that would be my choice. For now though, I'll wait for Sandisk.

The lack of hassle with worrying about changing cards is well worth the price of admission, which seems to be falling quickly anyway. I have two slots and set the camera to record to both cards at once so I have an instant backup. Otherwise, the all the eggs in one basket thing might scare me a bit.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/23/08 05:58 PM

James,
Pretec has unveiled 64GB and 100GB, 233X Compact Flash cards, the highest capacity CF cards in the world. Now that should satisfy even the hungriest hi-rez camera and/or accommodate the new Hi Def video capabilities of the newer cameras.

I try to use the size card that will let me shoot a show all day with only one full download at night. That's always been a 4 GB card but I'm moving up to 8 GB with the 50D. I tend to agree with Jim Poor in that I'd rather only lose one day's work if the card craps out during a weekend shoot but I tend to monitor what's going on and I dump what I've shot onto my Epson P-2000 every 3 hrs or so. The idea of shooting an entire weekend of shows and never dumping the data scares the heck out of me.

But for most personal work and portrait sessions, the 4 GB cards are still ideal.

Jim
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/23/08 06:13 PM

4 gigs for me, i'd like to buy some 8 gig cards but new cards are a luxury item right now and the money is better spent on gas. I can get 200 RAW images on a 4 gig card, so I swap out a lot during the day. I back them up in the field on a hyperdrive. . .
Posted By: maheanuu

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/24/08 01:16 AM

At present, I have 5 - 8 gig, 5 - 4 gig, 10 - 2 gig, more one gig's than I care to count and even have a half dozen 512mb cards laying around. I have never had a card fail on me, but did have one formatted after a day of shooting by a grandson, Not a problem, I was able to rescue all the photos and Exif data without a problem.... I don't have any of the higher capacities as of yet, but will probably buy one or two when I go home next time. I always carry a large capacity hard drive to store all the photos on and drop all my work on dual layer DVD's for archiving. Here in Oregon, I have a box set up raid 5 and everything goes there just in case of a failure...

Now, If I could only be as good as most of you..... One day, perhaps, one day....
Posted By: Julie

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/24/08 12:03 PM

I do not like to shoot huge cards because I have had cards fail on me. I lost hours of shooting on a 2gb card a couple years ago.

I accidentally formatted a 4gb this weekend, but, was able to rescue them. It took hours though.

I prefer the 2gb because the loss is less if something does happen. I just have mine numbered and try to use them in that order
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/26/08 04:37 PM

I've got 2-2gb cards and 1-1gb card, this covers everything for me. I always download them to my laptop at the end of the day, then transfer those to cd for safekeeping.

don
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/26/08 05:24 PM

I have 6 1GB, 3 2GB and 3 4GB cards. I plan on getting 3 8GB cards to go with my D300 and D700.
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/26/08 08:33 PM

Most of the time 4GB is plenty for me, but there are times when a larger card is a necessity.

I had thought that 4 GB was safe and large enough until I found myself shooting grizzly bears in BC. I went through a 4GB in a very brief time. Culling shots to get more room while shooting two bears play fighting taught me the value of having larger capacity at hand
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 09/28/08 02:41 PM

I have a hard time filling up a 4 gig card on an outing....pretty selective in my shots.....and some outings I need more than one...always yave 3 - 4 GB cards in my bag as well as my trusty Epson....just for those times I really need to capture diffrent variations on a composition that I find.

I find smaller cards with the elbow room to expand keeps me thinking about my shot more....kinda a mental dicipline game if you will.

Roman
Posted By: glamson

Good deal on 8 Gb cards - 09/30/08 02:57 PM

To the point, Adorama has a good deal on Sandisk 8 Gb Xtreme III cards. The 16 Gb cards sold out in a few hours, but Adorama still has the 8 Gb Sandisk cards right now. The rebate is from Sandisk (not Adorama which is good).

http://www.adorama.com/IDSCFE38G30M.html

Geo

Re: Good deal on 8 Gb cards - 10/01/08 12:45 AM

Last I heard, BH was running a similar special on teh 16GB cards and had some in stock.

Re: Good deal on 8 Gb cards - 10/02/08 04:53 PM

Hey Guys,

I have an Internet connection for a bit, but am heading back up in the Park in a few. I tried to pick up the Adorama 16 GB Sandisk cards, but they are out of stock. Does anyone know how fast they are?

James
Posted By: rpcrowe

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 11/03/08 08:36 PM

It often amazes me how much photographers seem to hate switching CF cards! They are so easy to change that I don't really care what size (1 GIG and above) that I am using. I have a selection of two and four GIG cards which are backed up by several one GIG cards. I even have a few older 512 MG cards which I will use when I want only a shot of two. BTW, I shoot raw with 30D and 40D cameras. Perhaps if I shot with full-frame equipment; I might want 4 GIG and over cards.

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 11/04/08 12:33 AM

I don't hate the switching of them so much. It is the worry that THE shot will be in front of me right when the card gets full.

The same reason drove me to use 36 over 24 exposure film rolls back in the dark ages.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 11/09/08 05:56 PM

8GB and 16GB. I hate missing a shot because the card fills up. Only Sandisk Extreme III's for me. If I decide to go for the 5D Mark II then I might get some bigger cards when the prices go down.

Re: Compact Flash Cards - How big is enough? - 11/24/08 09:34 PM

There is a deal on 8 GB Lexar Cards right now. Essentially, they are $10/card after rebate. I just purchased 3 of them. I dl'ed the rebate form from B&H (who did not have them in stock, or else I would have just walked down there).

Lexar CF at Adorama - 12/06/08 09:53 PM

I do not use Lexar cards, but if you like them Adorama is giving away the 133x 8gb cards for less than $10 after rebate.

http://www.adorama.com/ILXCF1338G.html

Re: Lexar CF at Adorama - 12/07/08 02:09 PM

Hey P,

Thanks. I picked up two of them last night for Chanthee. I could not find them in stock anywhere. I am going to pick up some 300x cards later when I get the 5dII. They have increased the rebate to $80 as well (making the cards about 32 at Adorama and BH).

James

Re: Lexar CF at Adorama - 12/07/08 03:28 PM

...sigh...they are still on back-order. I decided to cancel the order. I wish Adorama would update their website more often. This is the 2nd time in a month this has happened.

James

Re: Lexar CF at Adorama - 12/07/08 08:24 PM

I guess they go pretty quick at that price. When I saw the link the note said that the cards were not in stock but that a shipment was due to arrive in their warehouse. Now it is changed to the 'backorder' message.

Re: Lexar CF at Adorama - 12/11/08 11:23 PM

On a positive note, I found an $80 coupon for Lexar CF 300x cards (8 gb). I picked up two this evening. Oddly enough, most dealers are only showing the $40 rebates. If folks like, I will attach the $80 rebate form here.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum